21 Oct 2023
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
5 Nov 2023 - 22:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The Chair of Hindu Spirituality and Society at the Faculty of Religion and Theology at Vrije University Amsterdam is seeking a highly motivated and dedicated Postdoc researcher to conduct empirical research on the impact of spirituality in society with a focus on spiritual organizations. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to our understanding of how spirituality influences various societal key metrics such as sustainability, health and well-being, social cohesion, while working in a prestigious academic setting.
Spirituality plays a significant role in shaping various aspects of society, and this research position aims to explore the empirical dimensions of its impact. The researcher will be responsible for conducting both quantitative and qualitative research, gathering and analyzing both primary as well as secondary data on societal key metrics, and contributing to the broader understanding of spiritual organizations' role in contemporary society.
In this research we envision strengthening the position of spirituality as a discipline contributing to various aspects of the society. The research encompasses empirical research using a mixed method approach consisting of qualitative as well as quantitative research methods and techniques.
- Conduct empirical research on the impact of spirituality on societal key metrics, including sustainability, health and well-being, social cohesion
- Gather and analyze data from various sources to identify trends and patterns related to spirituality's influence on society.
- Develop and implement research methodologies, including surveys, interviews to gather relevant data.
- Collaborate with other researchers and experts in the field to gain insights into the role of spirituality in contemporary society.
- Collaborate with spiritual organizations operating in the Netherlands
- Produce scientific output, including articles published in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at conferences and seminars.
- Collaborate with the Chair to support research material for teaching in relevant academic programs and courses such as Spirituality and Sustainability.
- (Optional) Acquiring didactic skills under the responsibility of a teacher by giving lectures courses under the chair (max. 20% of the appointment), with the aim of obtaining the BKO-certificate
- A completed Ph.D. degree in a relevant field such as Social Sciences, Psychology, Economics, Religious Studies, or any of the related discipline(s).
- Knowledge and understanding of spirituality, its various dimensions, and its impact on society.
- Proficiency in quantitative research methods, including statistics and data analysis of secondary datasets.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrable experience or affinity with scientific research.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a research team.
- Ability to operate in a pluralistic and multi-religious context and contribute to relevant discussions.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and deliver high-quality research outcomes.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Proficiency in both Dutch (or willing to learn Dutch) and English languages for effective communication and research dissemination.
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €3,226 (scale 10) per month during the first year and increases to €5,929 (scale 11) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.6 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended to a total duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus,
- discount on (and occasionally exclusive access to) theater performances and courses at the Griffioen Cultural Center,
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge, contribution to commuting expenses,
- hybrid working enables a good work-life balance
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 05/11/2023. The job interviews are planned for 16th Nov and 23rd Nov 2023, when possible please take them into account when applying for the position.
Submitting a diploma and a reference check are part of the application process.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Sharda Nandram
Position: Full professor Hindu Spirituality and Society
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: +31(0) 641403325
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Postal Code
- De Boelelaan 1105
Where to apply
De Boelelaan 1105
- Postal Code
Weird Witness Project Research Assistant, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 16 days ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam Faculty of Law At the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam’s Faculty of Law we train lawyers and criminologists to develop sharp critical minds, with a strong focus on the soc...
Internal Postdoctoral: Effective Ai Based Shared Decision Making In Healthcare , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
- This vacancy is only for internal candidates - We are looking for a postdoc researcher in effective AI-based shared decision-making in healthcare. Are you interested in doing ground-breaking res...
Postdoctoral Researcher Public International Law , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 13 days ago
Are you? A curious and creative legal researcher with a background international law and an interest, preferably experience, in the intersection between science and international law in the climat...
Post Doc For The Servus Project , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
Do you enjoy: working on a cutting-edge project that substantially connects critiques on slavery and colonialism, researching and employing law in action, legal doctrine and political theory? visi...
Ph D Researcher In Sustainable Global Economic Law , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 12 days ago
We are inviting candidates for a PhD project in the area of Sustainable Global Economic Law. In light of gasping inequalities around the globe as well as the intensifying ecological crisis, this p...
Junior Researcher, Digital Society , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 19 days ago
Are you interested in supporting research on the digital society and contributing to valorization on the topic? Prof. dr. Jessica Piotrowski is searching for a junior researcher to support her ong...