Since its founding in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education, offering high-quality teaching and research. We encourage the 31,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Among the best research universities in Europe, we join forces with prestigious partner universities and networks around the world, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
The Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences is the university’s centre of knowledge focusing on individuals and society. Our focus is on issues relating to human behaviour, as well as the relationships between people and society as a whole. Part of the Faculty is the Department of Sociology, one of the world’s leading departments focusing on quantitative approaches to theory building and empirical research in sociology. The department is a member of the ICS graduate school.
We are looking for a young scientist with a strong interest in the development of formal models of social dynamics and expertise in programming.
The post-doctoral researcher will play a pivotal role in the ToRealSim project, a large-scale research project with researchers from France, Germany, the Netherlands, and the UK. You will contribute to the development of a simulation framework designed to analyze models of opinion dynamics in networks. In addition, you will contribute to the empirical test of central model assumptions and predictions with laboratory experiments and/or social-network analysis (in particular Stochastic Actor Oriented Modeling). You will work in collaboration with other team members towards disseminating results of this research in high-quality publications in international peer-reviewed scientific journals. You have good theoretical and quantitative skills and experience with agent-based modeling or methods of social network analysis, preferably both.
You will actively contribute to the research line ‘Norms and Networks’ at the Department of Sociology, and contribute to teaching in the bachelor or master programmes of the Department of Sociology.
- a PhD degree in Sociology or a related field (economics, philosophy) with strong expertise in statistical methods and programming; alternatively, a PhD in computer science or a related field with experiences in modelling social processes and empirical research, as well as clear affinity with social sciences
- good teaching skills and experience or affinity with a variety of didactical methods
- a relevant publication record with at least 2 first author publications in high quality international peer-reviewed journals, or an equivalent publication record as a co-author or book author
- you are a team player, with good communication and project management skills
- experience with quantitative methods of collecting and analyzing data
- the ability to communicate orally and in written form in English (command of English C1 level) and command of Dutch (Dutch is B2 level) or willingness to learn Dutch.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 2,709 to a maximum of € 3,637 gross per month for a full-time position (salary scale 10)
- a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- 232 holiday hours per calendar year for full-time employment
- participation in a pension scheme for employees
- a temporary appointment of 1.0 FTE for a specified period of two years.
The preferred starting date is 1 September 2019.
Do you meet our Qualification criteria? If yes, you can upload the following documents in one document.
- a letter of motivation explaining why you are suitable for the position (max. 1 page)
- a full curriculum vitae (including a list of publications)
- transcripts and copies of academic degrees (MA/MSc and PhD), or a statement from your PhD supervisor that you will have completed the PhD requirements before the appointment date
- contact details of two academic referees who are familiar with your work, and who can be contacted directly if further information is necessary.
You can submit your application until 3 June 11.59pm / before 4 June 2019 Dutch local time (CEST) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
Andreas Flache, + 31 50 36 36214 firstname.lastname@example.org
(please do not use the email addresses above for applications)
Student Assistant For Research & Statistical Analysis, Copenhagen Business School , CBS, Denmark, 2 days ago
We are looking for a student assistant with solid knowledge of statistical computing packages (such as SPSS, R, STATA, SmartPLS) to work on a large-scale empirical project on behavioral economics....
Postdoc Position On Social Pharmaceutical Innovation For Unmet Medical Needs (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Postdoc position on Social Pharmaceutical Innovation for Unmet Medical Needs (1.0 FTE) Functie The Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development is looking for an excellent, motivated and goal-...
Postdoctoral Position, Trust In Governance And Regulation In Europe, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 10 hours ago
The Research Group ‘Politics & Public Governance’ (PPG) of the Faculty of Social Sciences, the research group on ‘Government & Law’ (Faculty of Law) and the UAntwerpen Centre of Excellence GOVTRUS...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 18 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2020-10) Laatst aangepast : 16/01/2020 The Centre of Expertise for Cooperative Entrepreneurship (Kenniscentrum voor Coöperatief Ondernemen - KCO) aims to set cooperatives, as a value-lad...
Academic Assistant, Administrative Law, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 11 hours ago
The Faculty of Law is seeking to fill the following full-time vacancy Academic assistant in the area of administrative law Job description You contribute to teaching and research in the field of a...
Academic Assistant, Law Of The European Union, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 11 hours ago
The Faculty of Law is seeking to fill the following full-time vacancy Academic assistant in the area of law of the European Union (institutional law, law of the internal market or EU private inter...