25 Nov 2023
Delft University of Technology (TU Delft)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
7 Jan 2024 - 22:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Power-to-Chemicals and Power-to-Fuels processes are the future of the chemical industry. The chemical industry is a major greenhouse gas emitter. To meet their GHG emission reduction target, the chemical industry must use alternative carbon sources (e.g. CO2) and electricity-based processes (Power-to-X). The perspective of a highly electrified chemical industry where renewable feedstocks and energy are the basic ingredients of chemicals is very appealing to many societal, industrial and governmental stakeholders. Microorganisms are able to grow on electrodes and utilize renewable electricity to convert CO2 to valuable chemicals. This Power-to-X process is called microbial electrosynthesis (MES), and is the focus of this postdoctoral project. This postdoc project is part of a larger project (2 PhD and 2 postdocs) and a consortium composed of eight international companies, which all together will investigate heat in CO2 electrolyzers (including MES). A major hurdle in upscaling CO2 electrolyzers is that a significant part of the heat that is generated adversely affects component stability, product throughput and selectivity. In this postdoc project, our state-of-the-art MES process will be used (converting CO2 to C2-C6 carboxylic acids and alcohols) and our distinctive approach will determine the temperature dependency of the biofilm’s functionality and stability as well as the temperature effects at the reactor scale. We will use the attained insights to develop a scalable process under industrially relevant conditions.
The tasks of the postdoctoral researcher will be to characterize the effects of temperature 1) on the microorganisms (i.e. biofilm), with an emphasis on microbial kinetics and microbial physiology, and 2) at the reactor scale using our state-of-the-art reactors, with the objective to optimize process conditions towards scaling up MES.
The ideal candidate:
- has a PhD or draft PhD thesis on biochemical engineering, biotechnology, microbiology or equivalent.
- is a highly motivated and an enthusiastic researcher, with a keen interest in bridging several fields, i.e. microbial electrochemistry and microbiology/microbial physiology.
- is a strong experimentalist, with experience related to the topic.
- has strong analytical skills, and a keen interest in the interpretation of complex data.
- has a sound knowledge basis on (microbial) reaction thermodynamics, kinetics, transport phenomena, and microbial physiology, and experience with microbial electrochemistry and microscopy techniques is valued.
- is skilled in critical and conceptual thinking for finding and selecting process options that are worthy of experimental study.
- has a large drive to share results in scientific papers and conferences.
- is fluent in English, has good communicative/reporting skills, and team working capacity.
Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, discounts on health insurance, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged.
For international applicants, TU Delft has the Coming to Delft Service . This service provides information for new international employees to help you prepare the relocation and to settle in the Netherlands. The Coming to Delft Service offers a Dual Career Programme for partners and they organise events to expand your (social) network.
Are you interested in this vacancy? Please apply before 7 January 2024 via the application button and upload only your motivation letter and CV.
- A pre-employment screening can be part of the selection procedure.
- Applying for an exemption for specific research and educational areas is an obligatory part of the selection procedure for this vacancy. This exemption must be obtained from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW) before an employment contract is agreed upon. Click here for more information.
- You can apply online. We will not process applications sent by email and/or post.
- Please do not contact us for unsolicited services.
Only for more information about this vacancy, please contact Dr. Ludovic Jourdin, per e-mail ([email protected] )
Only for information about the application procedure, please contact Ms. Kawieta Ramautar, Management Assistant, per e-mail ([email protected] )
* It is our aim to have the interviews on 17 and 18 January 2024.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Delft University of Technology
- Postal Code
- 2628 CD
- Mekelweg 2
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Postdoc Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy As A Predictive Tool For A Ship’s Hull Corrosion Integrity, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
This PD position offers a unique opportunity to apply fundamental research from the fields of data science and sensor fusion towards an innovative maritime application. Within the dTHOR (digital s...
Postdoc In Fluid Dynamics And Rheology Of Multicomponent Droplets, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
An experimental postdoc position is available in the Garbin lab (https://garbinlab.org) on the flow physics of multicomponent droplets. These intriguing systems are central in advanced materials, ...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Catalytic Conversion Of Polymer Waste, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Waste no more We are looking for outstanding chemists to join our team on the project focused at converting polymer waste to value-added chemicals. A large fraction of consumer palstics undergoes ...
Postdoc Measuring Human Vulnerability In Social Media, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 2 days ago
Do you posess expertise in statistical methods and techniques, sociology, mathematics, or the social sciences, coupled with a keen interest in digital technologies and human rights? The Faculty of...
Post Doc Position Optimizing Port Logistics By Autonomous Ships To Contribute To Sustainable Transport , Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
As a PostDoc in the Research lab Autonomous Shipping (RAS) you will develop a kiss-and-ride concept allowing autonomous barge mooring and unmooring for intra-terminal container transhipment. The ...
Postdoc Digital Twin Based Prognostics For Wind Turbine Blade Preventive Maintenance Decisions, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Challenge: Enable optimal wind turbine blade preventive maintenance Change: Develop digital twin-based prognostics and health management Impact: Improve the reliability of wind turbine blades Ther...