Post-doctoral researcher Eindhoven University of Technology in the field of Geometric Learning for Image Analysis.
Mathematics and Computer Science
Institutes and others
EAISI - Eindhoven Artificial Intelligence Systems Institute
We are looking for a Post-doctoral researcher at the Department of Mathematics & Computer Science of the Eindhoven University of Technology in the field of “Geometric Learning for Image Analysis”.
This post-doc position is part of VICI Project (VI.C. 2020-031, PI: R.Duits) and requires knowledge of geometric image processing and deep learning.
Applied Differential Geometry cluster at the Mathematics department collaborating in the Eindhoven Artificial Intelligence Systems Institute (EAISI).
Below we first provide a description of the overall VICI project “Geometric Learning for Image Analysis”, and then we address the specific tasks of this post-doctoral research position.
Overall Research Project description
We develop a new geometric deep learning framework for convolutional neural networks (CNNs) with a firm mathematical foundation, relying on partial differential equations (PDEs), differential geometry, Lie group analysis, and probability theory. It impacts mathematics by providing new fundamental theorems on higher dimensional homogeneous spaces. It also impacts medical image analysis, solving major challenges in tracking and enhancement of complex vasculature.
Current geometric algorithms allow for geometric understanding of image analysis, but often fail at complex line structures (crossings, bifurcations), requiring costly user-interaction. Deep learning algorithms via CNNs perform superbly on specific datasets, but require massive annotations for training, lack geometric model interpretability, and fail to hard-code necessary equivariances.
We aim to bridge geometrical data-processing and machine learning based data-processing. To cope with complex structures in tracking and enhancement we lift image data to higher dimensional homogeneous spaces. To reduce manual input we use geometric PDE-based data processing and training. To reduce highly redundant annotations we develop new equivariant CNNs arising from operator splitting of geometric PDEs.
To underpin our algorithms we will establish new theories and mathematical foundations for geometric learning and control on homogeneous spaces. We validate our algorithms in automatic enhancement and tracking of complex line structures in medical images, where reduction of user-input is crucial.
We tackle this by applying our geometric learning algorithms on (multi-orientation) image-representations on homogeneous spaces.
This novel geometrical learning framework will generalize fundamental results on analysis, geometry, and probability theory to homogeneous spaces, and produce a new generation of geometric PDE-based CNNs and powerful image analysis algorithms that overcome costly user-interactions and annotations.
NB. An extensive project description is available on request.
Task Description of the Post-doctoral Researcher within the Project.
1. Carry out research within the team (2 PhDs, 1 PhD-TA, 1 post-doc, 1 scientific programmer) supervised by principal investigator Remco Duits,
www.tue.nl/en/news/news-overview/14-04-2021-vici-grant-for-mathematician-remco-duits/ , focusing on:
- Automatic geometric vessel tree tracking and analysis, and crossing-preserving connectivity measures, in medical image analysis applications (optical images, X-ray),
- Equivariant, PDE-based Processing and Machine Learning for Image Analysis (segmentation of vascular trees and diagnosis of diseases),
2. Assist in the supervision of PhD students and collaborate with health tech partners,
3. Report on the results in project deliverables, papers and conference contributions.
Finally, a small contribution to the teaching activities of the Applied Differential Geometry cluster in the mathematics department may be asked.
We are looking for a candidate who meets the following requirements:
- A PhD degree in applied mathematics, computer science, or mechanical engineering.
- A research oriented attitude with affinity for advanced formal mathematics (analysis/ geometry), applied differential geometry and machine learning;
- Solid publication record in image analysis, scientific computing or machine learning.
- Knowledge and practical experience in at least 3 of the following areas:
Image processing, partial differential equations, scientific computing, deep learning.
- Solid programing skills. Knowledge of Phyton, Tensorflow/Pytorch, and Mathematica.
- Ability to work in a team, interest in collaborating with clinical partners (e.g. ophthalmology department of Maastricht University) and industrial partner Philips;
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for temporary appointment for 1-3 years.
- Close collaboration with an industrial partner (Philips)
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Foreign applicants may benefit from the 30% tax regulation in order to get a higher net salary, when granted.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr.ir. Remco Duits, R.Duits[at]tue.nl
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, incl. a publication list and contact information of 3 references.
- Pdf of the PhD/Master thesis.
- List of four self-selected ‘best publications’.
- Proof of English language skills (if applicable)
We look forward to your application and we will screen it as soon as we have received it.
Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.
Division Of Science And Technology, Research Fellow For Machine Learning, Medical Image Processing, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
Division of Science and Technology at BNU-HKBU United International College is searching for exceptionally motivated research fellows to develop image processing and machine learning methods for m...
Research Assistant, Latvijas Organiskas Sintezes Instituts, Latvia, 20 days ago
Eligibility criteria (requirements and necessary competences): The position is open to applicants fulfilling the following eligibility requirements: 1. Master’s degree in biology or other life sci...
Postdoctoral Researcher – Subject Specific Spine Modelling, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Postdoctoral researcher - Subject-specific spine modelling This vacancy is posted as part of an ERC Advanced Award, Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis (AIS): a Perfect Storm of Functional Anatomy, Bi...
Postdoc Position Dynamic X Ray Tomographic Image Reconstruction, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 4 hours ago
Department: Department of Physics Regime Full-time Postdoc position in the field of dynamic X-ray Tomographic Image Reconstruction (f/m) Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp The Universi...
Postdoctoral Position In Ai Based Analysis Of Dynamic Processes , Uppsala University, Sweden, about 22 hours ago
Published: 2021-08-26 Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highe...
Postdoctoral Research Associate In Plankton Imaging And Machine Learning (H/F), CNRS, Suriname, 16 days ago
- collect image data (UVP5, UVP6, Zooscan, FlowCam, ...) from international colleagues and assist in their upload to EcoTaxa (https://ecotaxa.obs-vlfr.fr ) - program and apply data quality control...