Do you enjoy:
- working on cutting-edge projects that leverage advanced language models and conversational AI to drive innovation in financial services;
- fine-tuning large language models such as ChatGPT to enhance their ability to understanding the sustainability preferences of institutional investors' beneficiaries;
- developing conversational systems that can improve the investment and voting strategies of institutional investors and align them with the sustainability preferences of their beneficiaries;
Then the job of Postdoctoral researcher at the Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics (ACLE) and the Informatics Institute of the University of Amsterdam is perfect for you as a highly versatile professional.
What does this job entail?
- create, evaluate, and describe novel L arge Language Model-based dialogue systems with a purpose;
- present research results at national and international conferences, workshops and journals;
- become an active member of the research community and to collaborate with other researchers, both within and outside the Informatics Institute and the Amsterdam Center for Law& Economics (ACLE);
- assist in teaching activities or supervising master and PhD students.
What do you have to offer?
- A PhD degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or a closely related field;
- An excellent publication record in AI, including publications in venues such as NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, SIGIR, TheWebConf, WSDM, ACL, EMNLP, AAAI, IJCAI-ECAI;
- Demonstration of open science output, such as open-source code and/or data;
- Substantial knowledge of machine learning;
- Eagerness to tackle complex scientific problems;
- Strong programming skills with experience using Python and deep learning frameworks;
- The ability to communicate fluently in written and spoken English.
- A general understanding of economic and legal problems, particularly concerning preference aggregation and regulation of corporate governance.
- Ability to interact not only with informatics scholars, but also with legal and finance scholars.
What can we offer you?
We offer an employment contract for 18 months, preferably starting on 1 July 2023. If you prove to be a good match for the job, then an extension is possible. The employment contract is for 32-38 hours a week.
Your salary, depending on your relevant experience on commencement of the employment contract, ranges between €3974 to €5439 gross per month on the basis of a full working week of 38 hours. This sum does not include the 8% holiday allowance and the 8.3% year-end allowance. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU) is applicable.
The University of Amsterdam is the largest university in the Netherlands, with the broadest spectrum of degree programmes. It is an intellectual hub with 42,000 students, 6,000 employees and 3,000 doctoral students who are all committed to a culture of inquiring minds.
The Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics (ACLE) is a cooperation of the Amsterdam Law School (ALS) and Faculty of Economics & Business (FEB) at the University of Amsterdam. The ACLE is an interdisciplinary research institute, which includes renowned legal scholars from the ALS and world-class economists from the FEB. The objective of the ACLE is to promote high-quality research at the interface of law and economics. Located in the heart of Amsterdam, the ACLE presently includes more than twenty research members in addition to PhDs and Postdocs. The ACLE functions as an interdisciplinary platform, promoting law & economics cooperation between different groups and faculties at the UvA, as well as in the international academia. The ACLE cooperates, among others, with the Informatics Institute of the University of Amsterdam.
The mission of the Informatics Institute (IvI) is to perform curiosity-driven and use-inspired fundamental research in Computer Science. The main research themes are Artificial Intelligence, Computational Science and Systems and Network Engineering. Our research involves complex information systems at large, with a focus on collaborative, data driven, computational and intelligent systems, all with a strong interactive component. The IRLab Amsterdam is part of the Informatics Institute of the University of Amsterdam. Our research focuses on information retrieval: technology to connect people to information. We work on search engines, on recommender systems, and on conversational assistants. There is a heavy emphasis on data-driven methods, for understanding content, for analysing and predicting user behaviour, and for make sense of context. We combine fundamental, experimental and applied research, and we do so using a broad range of data: text, images, structured information. We are involved in a large number of projects with other groups, both within and outside academia. Our research is funded by NWO, KNAW, the EU and through a range of public-private partnerships. We are strong believers of great science with great impact and greatly value an entrepreneurial spirit. The IRLab grew out of the Information and Language Processing Systems (ILPS) group and was founded on September 1, 2020. We are proud to have a large and diverse team, with people from over 15 countries, bringing a rich spectrum of perspectives on the challenges that we choose to research.
Want to know more about our organisation? Read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact (during office hours):
Prof.dr. Alessio Pacces
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application letter and CV. You can apply online via the link below. We will accept applications until 15 June 2023. There will be only one round of application interviews in week 26 from 26 June until 30 June.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
No agencies please.
International Officer, Staff Support, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 6 days ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a un...
Assistant Professor/Associate Professor Of Applied Materials Physics, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 4 days ago
16 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Amsterdam (UvA) Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands App...
International Officer, Staff Support, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Do you have experience with supporting internationals coming to the Netherlands, and would you like to work in a multidisciplinary team of professionals in an international academic environment? D...
Assistant Professor Humane By Design/Creative Technology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic, communicative, and highly motivated Assistant Professor with experience in Design Studies, Digital Humanities, or Science and Technology Studies (STS) who is in...
Lecturers In Corporate Communication, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 24 days ago
26 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Amsterdam (UvA) Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Nether...
Eu Project On Plastic Litter Needs Help: Wanted Student Assistant, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Do you like to help within an EU project on plastic litter and to get experience in an academic environment? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Location: AMSTERDAM FTE: 0.8 - 1 (32-40...