We are looking for a PhD researcher who will carry out research on a topic in the field of criminal law and/or criminology (including forensics, legal psychology, victimology and other relevant domains). You will write a PhD thesis in English or Dutch.
PhD researchers participate in the Maastricht University Graduate School of Law. You will also form part of the Maastricht Institute for Criminal Sciences (MICS). At least 80% of the position will be dedicated to research and not more than 20% to teaching activities.
The following candidates can apply:
- Graduates with a relevant Master degree and excellent grades. Motivated and determined researchers possessing first-rate analytical and writing skills. Final-year (master) students are (likewise) encouraged to apply if they have proven research skills.
- Candidates who have already started their PhD research, but are not employed as resident PhD researchers.
- Candidates with a strong command of Dutch and English at an academic level (or at least a willingness to learn Dutch);
- Candidates who are able to work both independently as well as in a team.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Fixed-term contract: 4 years.
We offer a 1.0 fte contract for a period of 4 years, starting preferably as per 1 September 2022 or as soon as possible thereafter. Continuation after the first year is dependent upon a positive evaluation.
The full-time gross monthly salary amounts to € 2.443,00 in the first year according to salary scale PhD (‘promovendus’), increasing to € 3.122,00 in the fourth year; on top of this there will be an 8% holiday and an 8,3% year-end allowance.
You have to be willing to move to (the vicinity of) Maastricht. If you do not already live in Maastricht (or its direct surroundings), you will be eligible for an allowance for moving costs. If you do not already live in Maastricht (or its direct surroundings), you might be eligible for an allowance for alternative housing. Other secondary conditions include a pension scheme and partially paid parental leave.
The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local UM provisions also apply. For more information look at the website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl > About UM > Working at UM .
Maastricht University is renowned for its unique, innovative, problem-based learning system, which is characterized by a small-scale and student-oriented approach. Research at UM is characterized by a multidisciplinary and thematic approach, and is concentrated in research institutes and schools. Maastricht University has around 22,000 students and about 5,000 employees. Reflecting the university's strong international profile, a fair amount of both students and staff are from abroad. The university hosts 6 faculties: Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Faculty of Law, School of Business and Economics, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience.
Faculty of Law
The Faculty of Law has a strong and distinct international profile both in education and research. Our faculty is an inspiring and lively place where enthusiastic and inquisitive researchers attempt to find answers to the important legal issues of today. Researchers are able to flourish in the faculty’s vibrant academic community. They develop their own research projects, within the contours set by the faculty’s research programme (https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/about-um/faculties/law/research/research-programme ).
Research is focused on the study of the role of law in an increasingly globalised society. Research involves studying both institutional and substantive developments in the process of Europeanisation and globalisation that transcends national legal (b)orders. This takes place by means of comparative research and the transnational dimension of the law in a multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary context. To this end, various research methods are applied whereby more traditional methods are combined with empirical research methods.
The Faculty of Law has six departments (Private Law, Public Law, International and European Law, Criminal Law, Tax Law and Foundation and Methods of Law) and hosts eight research institutes, while many researchers of the faculty also participate in interdisciplinary interfaculty institutes (https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/about-um/faculties/law/research ).
Department of Criminal Law and Criminology
The department of Criminal Law and Criminology offers, inter alia, courses in the field of criminal law and criminal procedure, as part of our LL.B. and LL.M. programmes. Members of the department analyse crime, criminal law and criminal procedure from an interdisciplinary and legal perspective. The department is embedded in the Faculty of Law that offers an international classroom with students from over 20 different nationalities. The members of the department are also liaised with the MICS-research program (Maastricht Institute for Criminal Sciences - Research - Maastricht University ).
For more information on this vacancy please contact prof. Suzan van der Aa via email@example.com .
PREPARING AN APPLICATION
When submitting a proposal the following conditions apply:
- each candidate will contact, preferably in an early stage, a professor or associate professor of the department Criminal Law and Criminology who will act as the promotor of the proposed PhD research.
An application consists of:
- a fully elaborated proposal drafted in English or Dutch (according to the language in which the dissertation will be written), using the application form (see below);
- a detailed CV, including – if applicable – relevant publications;
- academic transcript of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and list of grades;
- if the dissertation will be written in English, proof of the English language level (being a native speaker, having completed a university degree in the English language or having passed a IELTS or TOEFL test; a IELTS score of 6.5 with no less than 6.5 in writing or an internet-based TOEFL score of 90 with no less than 23 in writing is sufficient);
- a motivation letter;
- contact details of two references;
- the master thesis or, if applicable, another substantial piece of English or Dutch writing.
Applications are assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- originality of the proposal and potential contribution to knowledge;
- research design and methods set out in the proposal and the link between setup and methods;
- quality of the PhD candidate;
- feasibility (both in terms of research setup and budget);
- match between the proposal and the MICS research programme.
If you recognize yourself in the profile and are interested in the position, we look forward to receiving your application. You can apply online via the link below. The application period closes on 31 August 2022.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org . When applying for this job always mention the vacancy number AT2022.247.
The Faculty Of Law Is Looking For A Post Doc And Two Assistant Professors To Work In The Field Of ‘Digital Democracy.’, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 24 days ago
The Faculty of Law is looking for a post-doc and two assistant professors to work in the field of ‘Digital Democracy.’ The Faculty of Law is looking for a post-doc and two assistant professors to ...
Item Is Seeking A: Researcher (1 Fte), Maastricht University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
ITEM is seeking a: Researcher (1 fte) ITEM is seeking a: Researcher (1 fte) Published Deadline Location 3 Aug 14 Sep Maastricht Job description ITEM is looking for a researcher who is passionate a...
Postdoctoral Researchers On A Cell Therapy For Cornea Regeneration At The Merln Institute For Technology Inspired Regenerative Medicine, Maastricht University, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 5 days ago
Postdoctoral researchers on a cell therapy for cornea regeneration at the MERLN Institute for Technology-Inspired Regenerative Medicine, Maastricht University Postdoctoral researchers on a cell th...
Post Doctoral Researcher In The Field Of Integration Of Newcomers In Education, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 14 days ago
Post-doctoral researcher in the field of integration of newcomers in education Post-doctoral researcher in the field of integration of newcomers in education Published Deadline Location 21 Jul 1 A...
Postdoctoral Candidate In Structural Cell Biology Of Tuberculosis At The M4 I, Maastricht University, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 19 days ago
Postdoctoral candidate in Structural Cell Biology of Tuberculosis at the M4I, Maastricht University Postdoctoral candidate in Structural Cell Biology of Tuberculosis at the M4I, Maastricht Univers...
Postdoctoral Researcher Eu Projects On Sustainable Hydrogen And Methanol Production At Maastricht University, Maastricht University, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
Postdoctoral Researcher EU projects on sustainable hydrogen and methanol production at Maastricht University Postdoctoral Researcher EU projects on sustainable hydrogen and methanol production at ...