(Post-doctoral) Researcher, Other academic staff
Irène Curie Fellowship
Testbed for Quantum Safe Communications
Secure communications and networking are one of the bedrocks of modern life and many applications which we take for granted today – think banking, connected transport, digital medical records, governmental and military communications – would be unthinkable should the trust in modern communication systems be lost. As quantum technologies progress rapidly, the growing scale of quantum computers threatens to cause such a loss of trust as current cryptographic technologies and protocols will no longer be secure. Preventing this threat requires adoption of quantum safe cryptography in the form of post-quantum crypto (PQC) algorithms and protocols and/or through the use of quantum key distribution (QKD). TU/e Eindhoven has established a testbed for quantum safe communications where QKD and PQC are evaluated and tested. The testbed evaluates QKD and PQC and their combination into real-world applicable quantum safe communication solutions and investigates their integration with classical communication networks.
Job Description & Research
We are looking for a qualified engineer or post-doctoral research to contribute to the design, deployment and operation of the quantum safe communications testbed. The activities include the design and analysis of the network architecture, the deployment and testing of QKD and classical hardware and software systems, and the operation of the testbed, incl. research in management, control and monitoring solutions for combined classical and quantum communications infrastructure. The position is in tight collaboration with the research group developing the quantum safe communications testbed and forms part of the QCINed project which – together with a number of national partners – aims to establish the basis for a national (and in the future European) quantum communications infrastructure. Depending on the chosen candidate, this position make take a more research or more engineering focused direction.
The position includes a number of activities, duties and responsibilities including:
- Develops network design and architectures and prepares network level specifications.
- Analyses network architectures and performs network implementation planning and reviews.
- Plans and performs network operation and management for the quantum safe communications testbed.
- Designs and implements network operation tools and platforms and develops network management paradigms for quantum communication networks.
- Writes and analyses test plans, executes tests and evaluates test results for use at peer design reviews and project notebooks.
- Prepares and maintains product documentation, including data sheets, instruction manuals, project notebooks, design, and test documentation.
- Support the establishment, development, and operations of the testbed for quantum secure communications and networking.
- Provides and maintains accurate project plans. Manages and/or leads software projects of moderate complexity.
You will join the Electro-Optical Communications group within the Department of Electrical Engineering and will be embedded with the team developing and deploying the quantum safe communications testbed. You will work in the facilities of the quantum photonic systems and networking laboratories. You will work with the deployed network of the quantum safe communications testbed and actively collaborate with the industrial and academic partners in the QCINed project and QDNL programme.
We seek a talented, motivated, and enthusiastic researcher or engineer. Analytical skills, initiative and creativity are highly desired.
The successful candidate shall have/be:
- A Master of Science degree (or equivalent) in Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science with an excellent academic record or a PhD in one of these fields
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Strong writing, documentation, and speaking skills.
- An intrinsic motivation for scientific research and the pursuit of knowledge
- Experience and a strong background in one or multiple of the following subjects (with typically 2+ years of combined experience):
- Telecommunication networks
- Quantum key distribution and quantum secure communications
- Network architectures, management and control
- Classical and quantum cybersecurity systems
- Preparation of scientific telecommunication test setups, installation of communication networks and their operation
- Design, commissioning and deployment of communication networks
- Operation of communication networks
- Working knowledge of project management processes and procedures.
- Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Desire and affinity to work in an academic research lab with PhDs, Postdocs and MSc students.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- A well-equipped environment with opportunity to collaborate with colleagues working in the Quantum Delta NL ecosystem.
- Full-time employment for a minimum of one year up to a maximum of 3 years.
- You will have access to high-quality training programs for research and valorisation.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A gross monthly salary between €3,353.00 and €4,474 (on a full-time basis), depending on experience and knowledge.
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- The position includes a broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Family-friendly initiatives are in places, such as an international spouse program and excellent on-campus children day-care and sports facilities.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Information and application
About TU/e, EHCI, QT/e and Quantum Delta NL
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is a leading international university specializing in engineering, science & technology. Through excellent research and teaching, TU/e contribute to progress in the technical sciences, to the development of technological innovations, and as a result to the growth of prosperity and welfare in the region and beyond. TU/e maintains close links with industry, healthcare, and the building & logistics sectors. TU/e is a central part of the Brainport Eindhoven region, which combines research on future technologies and a number of open innovation campuses with a strong industrial base comprising a mix of small, medium and large global enterprises. TU/e has formed the Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute (EHCI) and Center for Quantum Materials and Technology Eindhoven (QT/e) both with the explicit aim for furthering quantum technologies.
Quantum Delta NL (QDNL) is public-private foundation, launched in 2020 with the mandate to coordinate and execute the Netherland’s National Agenda for Quantum Technology (NAQT). Quantum Delta NL has been awarded €615 million from the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy to power the advancement of quantum technology. TU/e hosts one of five QDNL major quantum hubs, collaborating on innovation by bringing together top-quality scientists, engineers, students, and entrepreneurs, working together on the frontier of quantum technology. The Eindhoven Quantum hub includes the creation of a field-deployed quantum safe communications testbed with the aim to become a testing facility and proving ground for quantum communications technology open to scientific and commercial partners form all over Europe and around the globe.
Application, Contact and Further Information
Candidates are invited to apply via the ‘Apply now’ button on this page. The application should include:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications/patents/achievements and the contact information of two references.
- A copy of your BSc/Masters and/or PhD Thesis
- Copies of diplomas and course grades
We look forward to your application and will screen at the earliest opportunity. The screening will continue until the position has been filled. We strive to a starting date soon as possible provided final subsidy confirmation is formalized. Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary, please combine files.
You may contact the hiring managers Dr. Simon Rommel (s.rommel[at]tue.nl) or Prof. Idelfonso Tafur Monroy (i.tafur.monroy[at]tue.nl) for further details – please not that applications by e-mail are not accepted!
Quantum Engineer Or Postdoc In Qubit Hardware For Hybrid Quantum Computing, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 5 days ago
1 Jun 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) Research Field Technology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Application De...
Quantum Engineer Or Postdoc In Hybrid Quantum Computing Algorithm Development, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
6 Jun 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) Research Field Technology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Application De...
Community Builder Mesa+, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Do you enjoy developing innovative ways of collaboration between companies and universities in the public or private sector in order to develop a value for our society? The University of Twente ca...
Faculty Positions In Quantum Computing At Institute Of Physics (Iop), Chinese Academy Of Sciences, Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Spain, 1 day ago
The Quantum Computation Research Center (QCRC) of Institute of Physics (IOP), Chinese Academy of Sciences invites talented applicants from the candidates who have the capacity or have exhibited th...
Quantum Technologies Scientific Director, Ikerbasque - Basque Foundation for Science, Spain, 20 days ago
17 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Ikerbasque - Basque Foundation for Science Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Country Spain Application Deadline 12 ...
Assistant Professor In Theoretical Quantum Information Science, Uppsala University, Sweden, 4 days ago
Published: 2023-05-16 Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highe...