Vacancy in the Directorate of Earth Observation Programmes.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A5 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale .
ESTEC, Noordwijk, Netherlands
Meteosat Third Generation (MTG) is a collaborative programme with EUMETSAT for six geostationary meteorological satellites. The programme covers four imaging satellites (MTG-I) carrying a visible/infrared imager, a lightning imager, and search and rescue and data collection payloads, as well as two sounding satellites (MTG-S) carrying an infrared sounder and the Sentinel-4 instrument. The first MTG-I satellite was launched in December 2022, while the first MTG-S satellite will be ready for launch in mid-2024.
You will manage the MTG project, covering both the development and recurrent satellites, and will report to the Meteorological Programmes Manager, Earth Observation Projects Department, Directorate of Earth Observation.
Your tasks and responsibilities will include:
- responsibility for the end-to-end procurement and technical management of the MTG project, covering both the development and recurrent satellites, within the agreed technical specifications, cost and schedule;
- management of the industrial MTG contract(s), including negotiation of any changes;
- coordination with the Copernicus Sentinel-4 project for the provision of the Sentinel-4 instrument as a Customer Furnished Item to the MTG project;
- interfacing with EUMETSAT for all programmatic, technical and financial aspects relating to the recurrent satellites;
- interfacing with ESA delegate bodies, such as DOSTAG and PB-EO;
- management of the MTG ESA Project Team and associated support from the Directorates of Technology, Engineering and Quality, Operations, and Commercialisation, Industry and Competitiveness, ensuring that all appropriate information is available to all project participants so that they can discharge their responsibilities efficiently within the agreed framework.
You will also be responsible for identifying, assessing, managing and reporting on the health and safety risks in your area of responsibility.
Space system development and PA standards
Knowledge of ESA and industrial development, verification and procurement processes
Knowledge of space projects, including instrumentation and operations
Background in space engineering with a systems orientation and an end-to-end view of Earth observation missions
Knowledge of industrial costs and schedule aspects
Delivery of complex projects within cost and schedule
Complex project risk management processes
A master's degree in an engineering or scientific discipline is required.
Previous experience of working on a multi-agency, cooperative programme is an advantage. Furthermore, you should have:
- proven experience of leading, motivating and developing a team in a project environment;
- the ability to provide strategic direction to the individuals and teams within the project and to relate team objectives to the overall, evolving organisational goals and context;
- the ability to drive performance and foster cooperation within and across teams throughout the organisation;
- demonstrated excellent leadership, relationship management and communication skills, both oral and written;
- a proven track record of representing the Agency’s interests to external interfaces;
- excellent cognitive, analytical, delegation, planning and organisational skills;
- the ability to anticipate problems, resolve complex issues and relate situations to their context;
- the ability to make solution-oriented, pragmatic and timely decisions of a high standard and with integrity as well as to support others (team members, upper management and other stakeholders) in this process.
People management experience is an asset, as is international experience, i.e. outside your home country, as well as experience in diverse functional areas relevant to ESA activities.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
For further information please visit: Professionals , What we offer and FAQ
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required.
Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
At the Agency we value diversity and we welcome people with disabilities. Whenever possible, we seek to accommodate individuals with disabilities by providing the necessary support at the workplace. The Human Resources Department can also provide assistance during the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us at email@example.com .
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention, the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States*. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States *.
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment conducted by an external background screening service.
*Member States, Associate Members or Cooperating States.
Product Owner Digital Examination, Wageningen University and Research Center, Netherlands, 2 days ago
Your job Do you want to have a meaningful contribution to optimising education and the digital examination environment of the Wageningen University? And would you like to work in a well-organised ...
Technology Expert For Single Cell Technologies, VIB, Belgium, about 4 hours ago
Background VIB (Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie) is a renowned life sciences research institute in Belgium, committed to conducting groundbreaking research in life sciences and biotechnology ...
Interoperability Of Satellite Platforms For Earth Observation: Data Harmonization For Time Series Analysis, ALMA MATER STUDIORUM - UNIVERSITA' DI BOLOGNA - - DIPARTIMENTO DI INGEGNERIA CIVILE, CHIMICA, AMBIENTALE E DEI MATERIALI, Italy, 15 days ago
9 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company ALMA MATER STUDIORUM - UNIVERSITA' DI BOLOGNA - - DIPARTIMENTO DI INGEGNERIA CIVILE, CHIMICA, AMBIENTALE E DEI MATERIALI Research Field Engineering...
Revealing The Milky Way With Open Clusters, INAF- Osservatorio Astronomico di Padova, Italy, 15 days ago
12 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company INAF- Osservatorio Astronomico di Padova Research Field Astronomy Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Leading Researcher (R4) First Stage...
Post/S Of Full Time Research Support Officer Iii Institute Of Space Sciences & Astronomy, University of Malta, Malta, 21 days ago
5 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Malta Department Office for Human Resources Management & Development Research Field Astronomy » Cosmology Researcher Profile Establish...
Communications Advisor At Bergen Centre For Ethics And Priority Setting In Health (Bceps), University of Bergen, Norway, about 3 hours ago
Department of Global Public Health and Primary Care Communications Advisor at Bergen Centre for Ethics and Priority Setting in Health (BCEPS) Apply for this job See advertisement Knowledge that sh...