Vacancy in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale .
ESTEC, Noordwijk, Netherlands
Microwave Engineer in the Radio Frequency (RF) Equipment and Technology Section, Radio Frequency Payloads and Technology Division, Electrical Department, Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality.
The RF Equipment and Technology Section provides engineering support to ESA projects and carries out technological research and development (R&D) in the fields of ground and space-borne RF equipment and its building blocks, RF active and RF passive technologies, time and frequency generation and distribution, RF testing, instrumentation and related design and characterisation tools.
Reporting to the Head of Section and within the technical fields described above, your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- contributing to the design, development and performance evaluation of RF equipment, subsystems, components and technologies applicable to space and ground segments;
- providing expert technical support and consultancy to ESA projects, programmes and general studies in the field of RF equipment and technologies, throughout all project phases;
- participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and the evaluation of procurement proposals;
- contributing to the definition of technology development roadmaps and work plans for the Agency’s technology programmes;
- defining, initiating and managing R&D activities ranging from early conceptual studies to full hardware development;
- fostering new application areas for multidisciplinary activities, placing emphasis on innovative concepts, cutting-edge technologies and system architectures;
- conducting end-to-end laboratory activities, as required, in support of industry and ESA projects and programmes;
- monitoring applicable scientific and technological trends, liaising with universities and research institutes to maintain state-of-the-art engineering expertise in the Section’s technical domains;
- supervising students and trainees for the analysis, simulation and development of advanced concepts in the Section’s technical domains;
- contributing to the dissemination of the results of the activities performed and the transfer of knowledge across the Agency.
Your duties may also include supporting other activities within your field of competence.
General background and specific experience in the technical domains covered by the position
Experience with the design, development and application of relevant tools and methods
Understanding of related technologies, R&D trends and the industrial landscape
Project support experience in a relevant domain
Experience with laboratory or field testing of relevant technical equipment
Experience in the preparation of procurement activities for technology development and innovation (Statements of Work, proposal evaluation, etc.)
Experience in the management and monitoring of industrial activities, including participation in reviews
A Master's degree in telecommunication, electronic, microwave engineering or physics is required.
More than five years of experience in the following:
- The design and development of radio frequency equipment and technologies for space applications from low to high technology readiness levels.
- Project activities throughout all project phases.
The following would be considered an asset:
- Experience in the definition of R&D roadmaps in the field of RF equipment and technologies for space applications.
- Experience with emerging microwave technologies, such as GaN, advance manufacturing, novel high-Q resonator technologies, microwave photonics, etc.
- A PhD in a relevant subject.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework .
For further information please visit: Professionals ,What we offer and FAQ
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
At the Agency we value diversity and we welcome people with disabilities. Whenever possible, we seek to accommodate individuals with disabilities by providing the necessary support at the workplace. The Human Resources Department can also provide assistance during the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention, the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States*. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented or balanced Member States *.
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment conducted by an external background screening service.
Recruitment will normally be at the first grade in the band (A2); however, if the candidate selected has little or no experience, the position may be filled at A1 level.
*Member States, Associate Members or Cooperating States.
Rf Technical Engineer (For Superconducting Rf) (Sy Rf Srf 2022 132 Ld), CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research, Switzerland, 10 days ago
19 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research Department Human Resources Research Field Engineering » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Rese...
University Assistant Without Ph D (M/F/X) At Institute Of Microwave And Photonic Engineering, Graz University of Technology, Austria, 10 days ago
20 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Graz University of Technology Department Institute of Microwave and Photonic Engineering Research Field Engineering Researcher Profile First Stage ...
Nasa Graduate Opportunities(Link Is External), Princeton University, United States, 1 day ago
The National Space Grant College and Fellowship Project Graduate and Undergraduate Opportunities NASA initiated the National Space Grant College and Fellowship Project, also known as Space Grant, ...
Integration And Use Of High Efficiency Simulation Models And Stochastic Estimatorsfor Smart Virtual Sensisng Applications In Mechatronic Systems, università della calabria, Italy, 1 day ago
28 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company università della calabria Research Field Engineering » Mechanical engineering Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Leading Researcher (R4)...
Post/S Of Full Time Research Support Officer Iii Institute Of Space Sciences & Astronomy, University of Malta, Malta, 24 days ago
5 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Malta Department Office for Human Resources Management & Development Research Field Astronomy » Cosmology Researcher Profile Establish...
Models And Solution Algorithms For Integrated Logistics Optimization Problems, università della calabria, Italy, 5 days ago
23 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company università della calabria Research Field Engineering » Industrial engineering Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Leading Researcher (R4)...