The Master in Law and Finance (MLF) and the Amsterdam Center for Law and Economics (ACLE) are joint initiatives of the Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) and Amsterdam Law School (ALS) of the University of Amsterdam.
The ACLE is an interdisciplinary research institute, which includes renowned legal scholars from the ALS and world-class economists from the FEB. The objective of the ACLE is to promote high-quality research at the interface of law and economics. Located in the heart of Amsterdam, the ACLE presently associates around twenty research members. The ACLE functions as an interdisciplinary platform, promoting law & economics cooperation between different groups and faculties at the UvA, as well as in the international academia.
With the ACLE as its intellectual bedrock, there are important synergies between the ACLE and the Master in Law and Finance (MLF).
The MLF is a one-year selective LLM programme taught in English and open to both Dutch and international students. The Master was launched in September 2018 and is offered jointly by the Amsterdam Law School and the Amsterdam Business School. The Master’s programme currently has more than 50 enrolled students. Its main objective is to provide students with interdisciplinary education at the intersection between law and finance, which is highly regarded by the labour market, particularly by international consultancies, law firms, and policymakers.
What are you going to do?
The coordinator will be responsible for the execution of coordination tasks in support of the MLF, as well as in support of the ACLE.
For the MLF, the coordinator will support the Programme Director in leading the Master in Law & Finance. This includes support with the following tasks:
- coordination of teaching within the MLF including: course and exam scheduling, quality assurance of the programme, creation of the teaching guide, arranging meetings for all course coordinators and teachers to align their courses, updating and submitting the list of examiners to the examinations board;
- providing adequate and timely information to teachers;
- (establishing,) coordinating and holding of meetings with the student panel and following up on provided feedback with the teachers;
- coordination of the selection process as well as selection work itself of applicants for the 2021-2022 cohort together with other selection committee members;
- providing adequate and timely information to prospective students;
- keeping track of selection data as well as current student result data;
- coordination and execution of all thesis tracks of the programme;
- coordination of the work of (and cooperation with) two parttime assistants;
- marketing tasks including website and social media updates, as well as events e.g. the Masters day, mini-lectures and speed-dates with MA students, organization of the 2020-2021 cohort farewell event, and preparation of the 2021 introduction day;
- coordination of the cooperation with the student association;
- supporting the programme with extra-curricular and social events;
- liaising with the faculty’s and the university’s administration to perform the above tasks.
For the ACLE, the coordinator will support the Director in leading the Center which includes the following tasks:
- organizing events such as (online) conferences and seminars;
- creating and maintaining a mailing list of ACLE members of and affiliates;
- assisting the ACLE staff members as well as foreign guest scholars in arranging short visits, incl. practical administrative work, e.g. arranging letters of invitation, liaising with colleagues about housing, arranging card access to rooms in the office and building facilities etc.;
- working on ACLE website updates;
- drafting and circulating a quarterly newsletter;
- collecting and reporting the scientific/professional output of ACLE members, in cooperation with a parttime assistant;
- assisting junior and senior scholars in the preparation of research grants;
- drafting/editing interim reports on the Center’s activities and future planning;
- collecting internal and external feedback on the Center’s performance, and formulating recommendations on how to improve it;
- assisting the director in the governance of the centre;
- assisting the director in branding and marketing the ACLE worldwide.
What do we require?
The ideal candidate:
- is capable of thinking and operating as a professional (level: higher education, preferably university level);
- has experience with coordination tasks, preferably within a university;
- has a talent for managing and navigating organisations;
- has excellent and social communication skills, likes to deal with international students and academics, and in general with people having an international and multicultural background;
- is well-organized, flexible, takes pride in accuracy, and is capable of dealing with stress and peak loads;
- is proactive and service oriented and has a great sense of responsibility and integrity;
- is capable of functioning independently and within a team;
- has excellent command of Dutch and of English, both written and spoken;
- preferably has an understanding of and experience with interdisciplinary education and research.
This vacancy concerns a maternity replacement position for 7 months starting 1 January 2021 for 22,8 hours per week. The salary will be in accordance with the salary scale for ‘onderwijscoordinator’ at Dutch universities, salary scale 10, ranging from €2,790 to €4,402 gross per month, based on 38 hours per week. The exact salary will depend on past education and relevant working experience. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities applies. Secondary benefits at Dutch universities are attractive and include 8% holiday allowance and an 8,3% end-of-year allowance.
What else do we offer you?
We offer a challenging work environment with a variety of duties and ample scope for individual initiative and development. You will work in our small yet lively and growing team of researchers and support staff of the ACLE and MLF, called the Law & Economics section. Both the ACLE and MLF are joint initiatives of the Economics (FEB) and Amsterdam Law School (ALS) of the UvA, housed in building A of the modern Roeterseiland Campus (REC) in the centre of Amsterdam.
For further information, please contact:
- drs. Eline Scheper , MLF Progamme coordinator and Coordinator of the ACLE
Would you like to learn more about working at the University of Amsterdam? Visit our website .
About the Amsterdam Law School
The Amsterdam Law School prides itself on its international orientation and strong social commitment. This is reflected by both its research and educational activities. The Amsterdam Law School offers three Bachelor’s programmes, including the interdisciplinary English-language Bachelor Politics, Psychology, Law and Economics (PPLE) in cooperation with two other Faculties, as well as a variety of Master's programmes, several of which are taught exclusively in English (i.e. International and European Law, European Private Law, International Criminal Law, and Law & Finance). The Amsterdam Law School prepares students for a wide variety of legal careers including law firms, government, business and industry, the national and international judiciary, public service, human rights advocacy, and academia. With 5000 students and over 450 staff members, it is one of the largest law faculties in the Netherlands.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
If you are interested in the position and believe you meet the requirements, we look forward to receiving your letter and CV.
Please send your application letter, including a detailed curriculum vitae (combined as a single PDF attachment), by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 4 December 2020.
Interviews will be held on 8, 9 and 10 December 2020.
No agencies please
Professor Energy Law (0.8 1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
Organisation The Groningen Law Faculty is a modern (inter)nationally-oriented Faculty with a broad and classic profile. While it has a four hundred year old tradition, it keeps renewing its teachi...
Two Assistant Professors In Marketing (Tenure Track), Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Are you an ambitious and outstanding scholar in the field of Marketing? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Location: AMSTERDAM FTE: 1 Job description We are looking for two new collea...
Announcement For Full Professor Sps/12, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Italy, 29 days ago
ACADEMIC RECRUITMENT FIELD: 14/C3 POLITICAL SOCIOLOGY, SOCIOLOGY OF LAW ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: SPS/12 SOCIOLOGY OF LAW, DEVIANCE AND SOCIAL CHANGE As to the scientific dimension, the candidate is ex...
Professor Of European Law, Karl-Franzens-University Graz, Austria, 1 day ago
The professorship forms part of the strategic positioning of the Faculty of Law with the following objectives: innovation, interdisciplinarity, and internationalisation. With this professorship, t...
Full Professor Of International Economics (40 Hours Per Week), Radboud University, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
40 hours per week Maximum gross monthly salary: € 8,371 Nijmegen School of Management Required background: PhD Duration of the contract: 5 years Application deadline: 29 November 2020 We are looki...
2 Tenure Track Assistant Professors In Land System Science, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Are you the interdisciplinary scientist that will address the large societal challenge to achieve sustainable land use? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Location: AMSTERDAM FTE: 0.8-...