Are you passionate about educating students at a bachelor and master level and fascinated by the design of structures for buildings and infrastructure? Do you want to contribute to a sustainable future? Then you may be an excellent candidate for this Lecturer position.
Other academic staff
Irène Curie Fellowship
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is a leading research university specializing in engineering science and technology with strong bonds to industry practice. Following the strategic goals, the Department of the Built Environment (BE) aims to educate future generations of students and meet today’s and tomorrow’s societal challenges. The SED chair is one out of four chairs that cooperate within the department on teaching and research.
As a lecturer, your main focus will be on educating the structural engineers and designers of the future, both at the bachelor and at the master level. You will maintain, co-develop and teach courses and projects. In the bachelor program Architecture Urbanism and Building Sciences you will lecture to groups up to a size of 250 students and in the master program Architecture Building and Planning, track Structural Engineering and Design, you will lecture to groups up to a size of 50 students. Both in the bachelor and in the master programs you will be supervising project work carried out by individual students or groups of about 15 students at max. You will be teaching in English. Your expertise is in the field of structural design for buildings and infrastructures with an emphasis on sustainability and circularity. Since our educational programs are integrally addressing all building disciplines, expertise in other building disciplines (like building physics, architecture, urbanism and urban systems and real estate) is a pre but not a must. It would be nice if you would feel confident to teach one or more of these disciplines at undergraduate (bachelor) level. You will teach in courses and projects as a member of a team of dedicated teaching staff members. You have experience in structural design in biobased materials and timber, and preferably also in other materials. You have a thorough working knowledge of parametric design and relevant software programs (e.g., the finite element method). You have worked with these programs in practice, such that you can bring your practical experience to the classroom.
This lecturer position is embedded in the chair of Sustainable Structural Design of the Unit Structural Engineering and Design of the Department of the Built Environment of Eindhoven University of Technology (https://www.tue.nl/en/research/research-groups/structural-engineering-and-design/ ). Besides working in the chair of Sustainable Structural Design, you will also collaborate with colleagues from other chairs in the department.
Our educational programs are intertwined with research, but this position concerns a teaching job. You will further contribute to our organization by participating in education committees aimed at maintaining and improving the quality of our bachelor and master programs. These programs contribute to important societal themes like the energy transition, sustainability and circularity, the housing problem and the ageing infrastructure. You will have ample opportunities to help innovating our education, e.g. by a shift from teaching towards learning. In the projects, you expose our students to real life challenges by using so-called `challenge based learning’ methods. You will make use of technological advancements and digitization in teaching.
- Motivated structural engineer with teaching ambitions, with an MSc in civil or building engineering with as specialization structural engineering and/or structural design, or a comparable domain.
- Ability to teach, demonstrated by experience or assistance in teaching. Informed vision on teaching and learning within the discipline.
- Strong cooperation skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Effective communication skills, including coaching and mentoring of students, leading a project or chairing a group.
- Excellent (written and verbal) proficiency in English.
- A minimum of three years relevant work experience in hands-on structural design of buildings and/or infrastructures (bridges).
- Knowledge of structural applications of biobased materials and timber.
- Specific interest in sustainability and circularity in relation to structural design.
- Working knowledge of parametric design and finite element programs for structural design purposes.
- Holding a ‘University Teaching Qualification’, if you do not have one, we will give you the opportunity to obtain it free of charge.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- An interesting teaching position educating future professionals.
- The opportunity to focus your career on education.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 10 or 11 (min. € 2960,- max. € 5439,- per month), depending on experience.
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- A dedicated mentoring program to help you getting to know the university and the Dutch environment.
- High-quality training programs for academic leadership and teaching.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and partner career support .
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact the hiring manager Bert Snijder, Professor of Structural design (Steel Structures), h.h.snijder[at]tue.nl or +31 40 2472153.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Scott Jacops, HR Advisor, s.m.m.c.b.jacops[at]tue.nl or +31 40 2473161.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications (if any) and the contact information of three references.
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1 page).
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Assistant Professor In Sustainable Structural Design, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 15 days ago
Assistant Professor in Sustainable Structural Design Assistant Professor in Sustainable Structural Design Published Deadline Location yesterday 30 Apr Eindhoven Job description Are you interested ...
Computational Engineering Design Strathclyde Chancellor's Fellow Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Computational Engineering Design Strathclyde Chancellor's Fellow Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Worldwide, about 17 hours ago
Computational Engineering Design Strathclyde Chancellor's Fellow Lecturer/Senior Lecturer DMEM Department of Design, Manufacturing and Engineering Management, University of Strathclyde Who we are ...
Assistant Professor In Sustainable Structural Design , ; University College Dublin, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Are you interested in structural design for a sustainable future reducing the CO2 footprint of buildings and infrastructures? Are you a researcher who is passionate about teaching on new sustainab...
Senior Lecturer In Structural Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 16 hours ago
We are looking for a Senior Lecturer in Structural Engineering with a genuine interest in teaching. In collaboration with other academics at the department, you will educate the civil and structur...
Instructional Design Coordinator, Carleton University, Canada, 22 days ago
If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consi...
Professor/Associate Professor/Lecturer In Building Construction And Integrated Design , ;, Egypt, about 4 hours ago
The German University in Cairo- GUC (Cairo Campus ) Department of Building Technology. The German University in Cairo invites applications for the following vacancies to be filled at the beginning...