The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The Undergraduate School and Graduate School of the faculty provide respectively 13 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 6000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
The Bachelor’s degree programmes in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics are embedded in the Undergraduate School. The Bachelor’s programmes are taught in English and open for international students. They have a strong academic basis and aim to provide a thorough research-oriented training. The didactic approach is a hybrid of lecturing, tutorials and projects. New didactic concepts such as learning communities are being implemented. Additionally, the mathematics programmes provide various courses (Calculus, Linear Algebra, Statistics, Numerical Methods, e.g.) for other degree programmes within FSE.
The Undergraduate School of Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a teaching position in the Bachelor’s programmes in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics.
The duties of the Lecturer will include:
• Give lectures and tutorials for several basic courses within the Bachelor’s programme (Applied) Mathematics and/or math courses within other degree programmes. A full list of math courses, including more information on their content, can be found in the university’s on-line course catalog (https://www.rug.nl/ocasys/ ).
• prepare and supervise projects
• contribute to the development of learning communities
• supervise and guide Teaching Assistants
• have the opportunity for further professionalization (approximately 10% of the position).
Teaching at the Faculty of Science and Engineering is research-infused. For this reason, you will be affiliated with a matching research group within the Mathematics Department.
What we expect of you:
• a PhD degree in (Applied) Mathematics;
• experience in teaching (Applied) Mathematics at the University level (at least as Teaching Assistant);
• experience with various types of academic teaching and learning (lectures, tutorials, projects, group work, etc.) is an asset;
• proficiency in English at the C2 level;
• competences: cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills;
• a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) or the willingness to obtain this within a year.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary with a minimum of € 2.709 up to a maximum of € 4.978 gross per month (scale 10/11), depending on qualifications and experience background, for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% year-end bonus
• an appointment for initially one year. After a positive evaluation during the Result and Development Interview, an extension with another year is possible
• for this position, the following UFO job profile applies: Teacher 4/3 depending on qualifications and background.
Curious about our further conditions of employment? You can find them here.
For information you can contact:
Prof. R.W.C.P. Verstappen, +31 50 3633958 email@example.com
(please do not use the email addresses above for applications)
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Multiscale Modeling Of Supramolecular Materials, University of Groningen, Netherlands, 1 day ago
We offer you a full-time position as Assistant Professor in our faculty’s tenure track system Career Paths in Science and in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Precision Drug Therapy (1.0 Fte) (220184), University of Groningen (RUG), Netherlands, 5 days ago
*Job description* The Tenure Track position of Assistant Professor Precision Drug Therapy (Precisie Farmacotherapie) is opened within the Faculty of Science and Engineering and will be embedded in...
Assistant Professor Or Associate Professor Visual Computing (Tud00301), Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
Assistant Professor or Associate Professor Visual Computing Department/faculty: Faculty Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science Level: Doctorate Working hours: 38-40 hours weekly ...
Principal Educator (Tud00286), Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Principal Educator Department/faculty: Faculty Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science Level: Doctorate Working hours: 36-38 hours weekly Contract: 1 year Salary: 3746 - 5127 euro...
Assistant Professor Or Associate Professor Reliability Of Power Electronics (Tud00280), Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
Assistant Professor or Associate Professor Reliability of Power Electronics Department/faculty: Faculty Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science Level: Doctorate Working hours: 38-...
Assistant Professor In Department Of Applied Mathematics, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctorate, Mas...