The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The Undergraduate School and Graduate School of the faculty provide respectively 13 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 6000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
The Bachelor’s degree programmes in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics are embedded in the Undergraduate School. The Bachelor’s programmes are taught in English and open for international students. They have a strong academic basis and aim to provide a thorough research-oriented training. The didactic approach is a hybrid of lecturing, tutorials and projects. New didactic concepts such as learning communities are being implemented. Additionally, the mathematics programmes provide various courses (Calculus, Linear Algebra, Statistics, Numerical Methods, e.g.) for other degree programmes within FSE.
The Undergraduate School of Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a teaching position in the Bachelor’s programmes in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics.
The duties of the Lecturer will include:
• Give lectures and tutorials for several basic courses within the Bachelor’s programme (Applied) Mathematics and/or math courses within other degree programmes. A full list of math courses, including more information on their content, can be found in the university’s on-line course catalog (https://www.rug.nl/ocasys/ ).
• prepare and supervise projects
• contribute to the development of learning communities
• supervise and guide Teaching Assistants
• have the opportunity for further professionalization (approximately 10% of the position).
Teaching at the Faculty of Science and Engineering is research-infused. For this reason, you will be affiliated with a matching research group within the Mathematics Department.
What we expect of you:
• a PhD degree in (Applied) Mathematics;
• experience in teaching (Applied) Mathematics at the University level (at least as Teaching Assistant);
• experience with various types of academic teaching and learning (lectures, tutorials, projects, group work, etc.) is an asset;
• proficiency in English at the C2 level;
• competences: cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills;
• a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) or the willingness to obtain this within a year.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary with a minimum of € 2.709 up to a maximum of € 4.978 gross per month (scale 10/11), depending on qualifications and experience background, for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% year-end bonus
• an appointment for initially one year. After a positive evaluation during the Result and Development Interview, an extension with another year is possible
• for this position, the following UFO job profile applies: Teacher 4/3 depending on qualifications and background.
Curious about our further conditions of employment? You can find them here.
For information you can contact:
Prof. R.W.C.P. Verstappen, +31 50 3633958 email@example.com
(please do not use the email addresses above for applications)
Lecturer Physics & Mathematics Maastricht Science Programme, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Lecturer Physics & Mathematics Maastricht Science Programme Lecturer Physics & Mathematics Maastricht Science Programme Published Deadline Location today 14 Mar Maastricht Job description You will...
One Or More Positions As Assistant Professor In Statistics At The Department Of Mathematical Sciences , Aalborg University, Denmark, 4 days ago
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of Mathematical Sciences, one or more positions as Assistant Professor in statistics are open for appointment from 01.08.2020 or soon hereafte...
Lecturer Data Science@Curtin University, Aust MS, Australia, about 16 hours ago
Home > Careers > Job opportunities Closing date: 2nd March 2020 School of Electrical Engineering The School of Electrical Engineering, Computing and Mathematical Sciences (EECMS) was formed in 2...
Senior Teaching Fellow In Mathematics, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 26 days ago
Nazarbayev University’s Center for Preparatory Studies (CPS) in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, is currently seeking a qualified Mathematics Senior Teaching Fellow to begin August 2020 or earlier if possi...
Teaching Fellow In Mathematics, Center for Preparatory Studies, Kazakhstan, 2 days ago
Company Description Nazarbayev University’s Center for Preparatory Studies (CPS) in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, is currently seeking a qualified Mathematics Senior Teaching Fellow to begin August 2020...
Assistant Professor In Neuromorphic Computing, University of Twente (UT), Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Within the faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, and Computer Science (EEMCS), the group NanoElectronics (NE), part of the Centre for Brain-Inspired Nano Systems (BRAINS), is looking for...