- 0.5 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 2,960 - € 5,439
- Required background
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Arts
- Application deadline
- 02 April 2023
Today's world requires critical thinkers. People who can define new directions for research and teaching that respond to the changes and challenges of our times. As one of the two lecturers in Political and/or Social History at Radboud University, you will join a diverse group of dedicated scholars, shape the field of history, and flourish in a friendly and vibrant academic community.
The Political History expertise group is welcoming applications from specialists in (early) modern international, political and/or social history who can strengthen and complement our profile and reputation in teaching and in terms of societal impact.
As a lecturer you will be part of the Department of History, Art History and Classics and participate at all levels of its educational programme, both in Dutch and English. You will provide education for the Dutch and English BA programmes in History, in Political History courses, and in general courses. At Master's degree level, you will participate in the Dutch taught specialisations Geschiedenis & Actualiteit and Politiek & Parlement. You will supervise students writing their papers and theses, participate in educational support activities such as tutoring, and actively contribute to the development of the curriculum.
- You are a postgraduate candidate with expertise in the field of international, political and/or social history.
- A completed or nearly completed PhD in History is recommended.
- You are a team player, able to establish innovative connections with other staff members of the expertise group and beyond.
- You are an inspiring lecturer with teaching experience in Dutch at at least BA level, preferably including thesis supervision, and you will be expected to contribute to curriculum development.
- You have a university teaching qualification (UTQ) or an equivalent qualification, or are prepared to obtain a UTQ within two years (*).
- You have ambition and talent for advanced research, as evidenced by publications, initiatives and an international network of academic contacts.
- You have demonstrable experience in reaching out to non-academic audiences.
The Faculty of Arts is committed to knowledge production that will have a significant scientific and social impact. With over 500 academic and support staff, we teach and conduct research in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, and linguistics and communication, using innovative methodologies and working in close collaboration between the disciplines. Our research is embedded in two research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH). We currently have approximatively 2,500 students , enrolled in three departments: the Department of History, Art History and Classics , the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the Department of Language and Communication. We aim to contribute to a more sustainable and inclusive world, which is why we especially seek applications from candidates who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and skills that will be assets to our study programmes and research profiles.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 0.5 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €2,960 and a maximum of €5,439 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 10 or 11 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 1 year. Upon a positive performance evaluation at the end of this period, the contract may be extended for two more years.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Dr Marieke Oprel, Assistant Professor of Political History at +31 6 31 13 26 28 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively, you can contact Prof. Wim van Meurs, Chair in Political History at 024 36 11 811 or email@example.com .
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 2 April 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Marieke Oprel. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV, including a list of publications and the contact details of two references.
The first round of interviews will take place on either 11, 12, 13 or 14 April. The second round of interviews will take place on 24, 25, 26, 27 or 28 April. You would preferably begin employment on 15 August 2023.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline 02 April 2023
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Dr Oprel, M.O. (Marieke)
Assistant Professor of Political History
firstname.lastname@example.org +31 6 31 13 26 28
Job application form
* Mandatory field
Are you an internal candidate at Radboud University?
When are you an internal candidate?
You are an internal candidate if you:
- Work at Radboud University (i.e. have an employment contract with Radboud University).
- Are a former Radboud University employee receiving unemployment (WW/BWNU) benefits paid by Radboud University (which started less than two years ago or resulted from the discontinuation of your job/redundancy).
- Currently work as a student employee at Radboud University through the campus employment office.
- Work as a temporary employee at, or have been seconded to, Radboud University.
One file only.
5 MB limit.
One file only.
6 MB limit.
One file only.
4 MB limit.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
Read our data processing policy .
Last modified: 14 March 2023
Share this page
Assistant Professor At Center For Music In The Brain, Aarhus University, Denmark, about 15 hours ago
Center for Music in the Brain (MIB), Department of Clinical Medicine, Aarhus University invites applications for a position at the level of Assistant Professor in the field of Neuroscience as per ...
Assistant Or Associate Professor Of Software Technology, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
The position is available in the Software Science (SWS) group of the Institute for Computing and Information Sciences (iCIS) at Radboud University. The mission of the SWS group is to do world-lead...
Project Manager “System Engineering” 0,8 1 Fte, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
Information an application We explicitly invite a wide audience to apply, i.e. people at all stages of their career. For more information about the content of this vacancy you can contact Pascal E...
Bioinformatician For Human Genetics, Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 8 days ago
31 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc) Research Field Medical sciences Physics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Nether...
Assistant Professor In Probabilistic Graphical Models At The Donders Centre For Cognition, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 1 month ago
Assistant professor in Probabilistic Graphical Models at the Donders Centre for Cognition Assistant professor in Probabilistic Graphical Models at the Donders Centre for Cognition Published Deadli...
Assistant Professor Of Philosophy Of Law, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 17 days ago
The Department of Philosophy of Law is part of the Faculty of Law at Radboud University. The Faculty's core tasks are education and research. The Faculty's educational programme focuses on the t...