IP and Innovation Manager
IP and Innovation Manager
Are you enthusiastic about creating impact with scientific research? Would you like to support researchers in their valorisation efforts? Consider Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU Amsterdam) as the next step in your career.
With their scientific knowledge, researchers are increasingly at the basis of social innovations in the fields of Human Health & Life Science, Digitalisation and Globalisation, Governance for Society and Science for Sustainability. At VU Amsterdam these profile themes are closely linked to our identity and refer to the social domains in which we work towards creating a better world through education, research and knowledge transfer.
At IXA-GO, the knowledge transfer office of VU Amsterdam, we support researchers to create impact with their research. Our team identifies opportunities, supports researchers in building a business case for a new start-up and introduces them to the right network. If an innovation requires it, we also offer support in Intellectual Property (IP) protection and provide information on funding opportunities.
For our team, which is based at the dynamic VU Campus, we are looking for an Intellectual Property and Innovation Manager.
As IP and Innovation Manager, you will be responsible for managing the IP and Innovation portfolio of VU Amsterdam. Thanks to your experience, you know better than anyone how to assess the valorisation opportunities of a research project and how to guide the researchers in their steps towards creating impact with their research. The IP and Innovation Manager works closely together with our Business Developers and relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Managing the IP and License Portfolio of VU Amsterdam in close collaboration with the Business Developers and IP lawyers at the legal department (BJZ).
- Managing the IP and patent projects: assisting in establishing IP protection and maintaining contacts with external patent attorneys.
- Supporting the process of licensing & negotiating.
- Monitoring license contracts and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Stimulating patent awareness and informing scientists on IP issues and policy via workshops and training sessions.
- Staying up to date with relevant developments in the field of IP at a national and international level e.g., developments concerning open source licensing and the unitary patent.
- Helping to create and implement organisational procedures to further facilitate the IP protection and licensing process.
- Supporting and initiating process improvement within the knowledge transfer process.
- 30.4—38 hours per week
- €3974—€6181 per month
- Amsterdam View on Google Maps
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
- Have a Master/PhD in a relevant field e.g., Life Science, Biotechnology, Chemistry/Physics, Law preferably with specialization in IP rights and/or contract law.
- Have knowledge of the broad field of IP (e.g. patents, knowhow, software, databases), patent law and procedures, knowledge of the patenting process, structuring of public private partnerships, licensing, marketing or other aspects of technology transfer.
- Are proficient in building working relationships with scientists, companies and key partners involved in the technology transfer process.
- Have the ability to manage data and work with IT systems for data management.
- Are highly organised, pro-active and independent, entrepreneurial and you have a service mentality.
- Have an interest in technical as well as social innovations and valorisation, capability to develop further skills which are required for this function, and willingness to further education.
- Have strong problem-solving skills.
- Have an excellent knowledge of Dutch and English, both verbally as well as in writing.
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: 1 year.IXA-GO offers you a challenging position within a professional and motivated team for an initial period of one year. An extension of your employment contract is possible subject to good performance.
On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,974 (scale 11) and a maximum €6,181 (scale 12), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university ranking system (UFO) of Knowledge Valorisation Officer (2/3) and is open for at least 0,8 fte.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge
- space for personal development
- hybrid working enables a good work-life balance
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor - from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 30,000 students. We employ over 5,500 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam's Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
The Administration Office provides strategic advice and integrated support to the Executive Board (CvB, idem) of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Moreover, we work closely with university faculties and the other VU service departments to implement the administrative agenda and to set institutional strategy. We are responsible for providing legal advice, setting the university's research policy and for Public Affairs. We provide process-based support for policy and decision-making, and we are closely involved in a number of strategic dossiers. The Administration Office also promotes university-wide governance, control and compliance, and we are responsible for PhD defence ceremonies, professorial appointments and other academic functions.
Working at the Administration Office means being involved in the day-to-day management, strategy and policy of our university, together with an extensive network of internal and external stakeholders. We employ 66 individuals (59 FTE) in the departments of Policy and Administrative Support, Administrative and Legal Affairs, Secretarial Support, and Document Management and Archive.
At VU IXA-GO we support researchers at the university in the process of acquiring external funding for their research, protecting and utilising the results of the research, all the way up to the launch of a successful spin-off company. With our expertise, open mindedness, enterprising spirit and multidisciplinary approach, we work on developing sustainable solutions that impact society. Our growing team consists of Grants Officers, Business Developers, a Marketing & Communication team and recently we have set up the Biotech Booster Project Office based at the VU Starthub.
VU IXA-GO is part of the Pan-Amsterdam collaboration IXA , which is the Knowledge Transfer Office of VU Amsterdam, Amsterdam UMC, the University of Amsterdam and the Amsterdam University of Applied Science.
Then we kindly invite you to apply for this position via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter by 30 March 2023. The job interviews are planned for mid-April 2023, when possible please take that into account when applying for the position.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Bettina Zijlstra
Position: Head of department IXA-GO
Telephone: +31 20 59 89905
Working at VU Amsterdam
Working at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam means contributing to a better world. Working beyond the confidence of your own field, working with an open mind and working for the benefit of society.
Apply for this job
Apply for this job
This application process is managed by the employer (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)). Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.Apply for this job via the employer's website
Thank you for applying
Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Tip: save this job as favorite in your AcademicTransfer account. This gives you an immediate overview and makes it easy to find the job later on. No account yet? Create it now and take advantage of other useful functionalities too!
Back to the vacancy
Aurora Project Manager, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 18 days ago
Aurora, an international network of 10 socially engaged universities that have been awarded a European Union grant as part of the European Universities Initiative, is looking for a Project Manager...
Assistant Professor In Digital Humanities And Society (Tenure Track), Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Location: AMSTERDAM FTE: 1 Job description The Department of Art and Culture, History, and Antiquity at the Faculty of Humanities, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, welcomes applications from special...
Assistant Professor In Digital Humanities And Society (Tenure Track) , ;, Netherlands, 14 days ago
The Department of Art and Culture, History, and Antiquity at the Faculty of Humanities, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, welcomes applications from specialists in the field of Digital Humanities and...
Programme Manager For The Graduate School Of Social Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2 days ago
Do you like to work in an international environment? Do you have affinity with academic (social science) research? And do you have a helicopter view? Come and join our team! Location: AMSTERDAM F...
Lecturer In Academic Skills And Mechanical Engineering, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Are you an experienced teacher in mechanical engineering or (applied) physics and an affinity for academic skills? Do you have a master's degree and are interested in further developing your teach...
Student Assistant Molecular Interaction Annotations Neuroscience, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Are you interested in neuroscience? Do you want to gain experience in analyzing literature about synaptic protein interactions (PPIs)? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Location: AMST...