‘Express yourself — understand the world’ is the motto of the Language Centre of the University of Groningen. We believe that we can make the world a better place by supporting our clients in developing their language and intercultural skills so that they can perform optimally in their work and studies. We are inspired, innovative, and focused.
The Language Centre, an independent business unit located in the Faculty of Arts, offers intercultural and language training (at individual and group level) in various languages, at various levels, for general and specific purposes, for all staff and students of the University of Groningen, and for clients outside the University (companies, government institutions, individuals). In addition to our open range, many of the courses we provide are tailor-made, designed to meet the client's needs. The Language Centre comprises the English, Dutch, Modern Foreign Languages, and Intercultural Communication sections and the Translation and Correction Service. The Support Office, comprising section support staff and a marketing and sales team, supports the sections and the business operations as a whole.
We have an international team of about 100 staff members. As a business unit within the University, the Language Centre is responsible for covering all costs itself.
The English section provides classes for students of various faculties as part of their curriculum. The section also provides a large number of customized courses for students and staff at the UG and for external clients, and it also offers a variety of English courses through its open range.
Tasks and responsibilities as Head of Section:
- translating, developing, and monitoring the policy, vision, and strategy of the section on the basis of the section’s own plan
- managing, coaching, and guiding a team of 17 teachers
- stimulating professional development, monitoring the performance of staff members, conducting result and development interviews
- conducting job interviews with potential employees
- initiating new courses, developing and renewing existing courses, and monitoring the quality of courses
- acquiring assignments, maintaining client contacts and networks, conducting acquisition interviews with potential clients, and drawing up quotations
- providing information for and monitoring the financial reports and forecasts in consultation with the Head of Operations and the Financial Controller
- ensuring and monitoring the efficient deployment of teachers and the annual schedule of the course range; providing information for the preparation of timetables.
The Head of Section is also an English lecturer themselves and, like the other coordinators and heads, also teaches in addition to performing management tasks. In this way, the Head of Section keeps in touch with practice.
Tasks and responsibilities as lecturer:
- providing English language training for various target groups, at different levels and in different contexts, both as part of regular degree programmes and in courses developed by the Language Centre itself
- carrying out needs analyses and setting up/developing courses based on customer demand
- carrying out various teaching tasks at an academic level
- maintaining knowledge of recent developments in the field as well as gaining insight into the implications of online teaching on didactics, course participants and lecturers.
Position in the organization
The Head of Section:
- is part of the management team (MT) of the Language Centre, comprising the Director, the Head of Operations, and the heads of the Dutch, English, Modern Foreign Languages, and Intercultural Communication sections
- is accountable to the Director of the Language Centre and coordinates with the Faculty’s Financial Controller and Management Controller
- is directly supported by a dedicated staff member (section support staff) of the Support Office.
We offer a salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- depending on education and experience, of € 3,821 to € 5,230 gross per month (salary scale 11) in the case of full-time appointment. This position is in conformity with the University Job Ranking (UFO) profiles of Department Head 3 and Skills Teacher 1
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
- a temporary appointment of twelve months; upon satisfactory performance, an appointment for an indefinite period.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Head Of Department, English For University, RMIT University, Australia, 7 days ago
Overview: About RMIT Vietnam RMIT is a global university of technology, design, and enterprise. We are global in footprint and even more importantly, we are global in mindset. We are committed to ...
Assistant Professor (Ud) Clinical Neuropsychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 11 days ago
At the Clinical Neuropsychology section, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, clinical questions go hand in hand with research and education, with the aim to improve care and everyday life for individual...
Operations Support Officer, RMIT University, Australia, 4 days ago
Overview: RMIT Vietnam RMIT Vietnam , an entity of RMIT University, has campuses in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi since 2001. We provide internationally recognised, high-quality, education and profes...
Head Of Department Of Chinese And Bilingual Studies, THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctorate, Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees. ...
Lecturer In Developmental (Neuro)Psychology, Faculty Of Psychology And Neuroscience, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 9 days ago
Lecturer in Developmental (Neuro)Psychology, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience Lecturer in Developmental (Neuro)Psychology, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience Published Deadline Location ...
Senior Instructor / Instructor Of Portuguese , UNIVERSITY OF MACAU, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
(Ref. No.: FAH/DPORT/SII/06/2022) The University of Macau (UM) is an internationalized public comprehensive university in the Macao Special Administrative Region (MSAR) located at the west bank of...