- 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 6,099 - € 8,881
- Required background
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Arts
- Application deadline
- 02 May 2023
Are you an innovative, experienced and inspiring scholar in the field of the history of art and architecture between 500-1500? Do your research and teaching explore cross-cultural connections and expand or complicate the geographical and cultural boundaries of the 'medieval'? As a full professor at Radboud University, you will join and lead a diverse group of dedicated scholars, shape the field of art and architectural history, and flourish in a friendly and vibrant academic community.
The History of Art section at Radboud University is looking for a Full Professor of History of Art and Architecture between 500-1500 CE (1,0 FTE). The position builds on the section's existing strengths, which includes visual and material culture of Europe after 1500 CE, architecture, and global modern and contemporary art.
You are an art historian whose research explores cross-cultural connections and links historical research to contemporary issues and practices, such as cultural heritage. Our section is especially interested in scholars whose research and teaching expand or complicate the geographical and cultural boundaries of the 'medieval', who incorporate new methodologies, and whose interests include Islamic Art and Architecture, materiality and craft (including modern material-technical research), or the social uses and sensory experiences of works of art.
As a Professor of History of Art and Architecture at Radboud University, you will build on your robust and innovative research agenda, track record of outstanding scholarly publications, and other academic achievements on an international level. You will develop cross-disciplinary collaborations through innovative teaching and research, mentoring, and forging links with students and faculty across the university and beyond. You will contribute to the development of courses on all levels, teach both introductory and specialised courses, and take part in study trips, which are integral to the curriculum. You will also participate in teaching in Faculty-wide minor programmes, such as Cultural Heritage and the Public, or Conflict and Cooperation in the Mediterranean World.
At Radboud University, you will take on a leadership role in your field of expertise and present a strong vision of its future development. You will play a dynamic and proactive role in the Radboud Institute for Culture and History (RICH), one of the Faculty's research institutes, contributing to its mission and research programme by participating in and further stimulating its research activities, publishing in high-impact journals and other research outlets, recruiting and supervising PhD candidates, mentoring junior faculty members, and applying for grants.
The professorship is part of the Department of History, Art History and Classics, one of three departments comprising the Faculty of Arts. You will represent the Art History section within the university and beyond, serve as its head in a rotating fashion with one other full professor, and work in close connection with its staff members and with the Department as a whole. You will be joining a university with expertise in Mediterranean Studies (both in the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies). You will be expected to serve as a standard bearer for student recruitment, and take on a crucial role in the promotion and visibility of medieval visual and material cultures, both nationally and internationally.
- You are an art historian with a specialisation in Art and Architecture between 500 and 1500 CE, who incorporates new methodologies as well as issues of cross-cultural connections and cultural heritage. You have a track record of international publications that demonstrate these interests.
- You occupy a leadership position in your field(s) of expertise and have a global network of contacts in the academic and museum worlds.
- You are committed to collaboration and forging connections between various art historical fields and institutes nationally and internationally, and between various sections and departments within the university.
- You have been a recipient of important research grants and have clear plans for applying for grants in the near future.
- You have ample experience in managing, mentoring and facilitating academic staff. You are familiar with the Dutch university system and are motivated to take on larger leadership roles in administration and management in accordance with the applicable rules and customs.
- You are an inspiring lecturer with a strong teaching philosophy and experience in curriculum development at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- You have a university teaching qualification (UTQ) or an equivalent qualification, or are prepared to obtain a UTQ within two years.(*)
- If Dutch is not your mother tongue, you should be willing to learn Dutch and obtain level B2 after 1 year and reach level C1 in the following year.(*)
The Faculty of Arts is committed to knowledge production that will have a significant scientific and social impact. With over 500 academic and support staff, we teach and conduct research in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, and linguistics and communication, using innovative methodologies and working in close collaboration between the disciplines. Our research is embedded in two research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH). We currently have approximatively 2,500 students , enrolled in three departments: the Department of History, Art History and Classics, the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the Department of Language and Communication. We aim to contribute to a more sustainable and inclusive world, which is why we especially seek applications from candidates who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and skills that will be assets to our study programmes and research profiles.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €6,099 and a maximum of €8,881 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale H2 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary contract of 18 months, followed by permanent employment after positive evaluation.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Prof. Jan Hein Furnée, Head of the Department History, Art History and Classics at or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 2 May 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Prof. Jan Hein Furnée. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV including a list of publications and the contact details of three references.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline 02 May 2023
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Prof. Furnée, W.J.H. (Jan Hein)
Head of the Department History, Art History and Classics
Job application form
* Mandatory field
Are you an internal candidate at Radboud University?
When are you an internal candidate?
You are an internal candidate if you:
- Work at Radboud University (i.e. have an employment contract with Radboud University).
- Are a former Radboud University employee receiving unemployment (WW/BWNU) benefits paid by Radboud University (which started less than two years ago or resulted from the discontinuation of your job/redundancy).
- Currently work as a student employee at Radboud University through the campus employment office.
- Work as a temporary employee at, or have been seconded to, Radboud University.
One file only.
5 MB limit.
One file only.
6 MB limit.
One file only.
4 MB limit.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
Read our data processing policy .
Last modified: 20 March 2023
Share this page
Scientific Programmer Ai For Imaging Data, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 24 days ago
Scientific programmer AI for imaging data Scientific programmer AI for imaging data Published Deadline Location yesterday 21 May Nijmegen Job description Join our team at Radboudumc and help us re...
Project Leader 'Therapy Development Paths', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 24 days ago
5 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc) Research Field Physics Medical sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherl...
Scientific Programmer Ai For Imaging Data, Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 24 days ago
5 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc) Research Field Medical sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands App...
Assistant Professor Of Philosophy Of Law, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 7 days ago
The Department of Philosophy of Law is part of the Faculty of Law at Radboud University. The Faculty's core tasks are education and research. The Faculty's educational programme focuses on the t...
Community Manager Rare Disease Therapy Development, Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 21 days ago
6 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc) Research Field Physics Medical sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherl...
Assistant Professor In Structural Engineering And Concrete Structures , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, about 23 hours ago
SDU Civil and Architectural Engineering (CAE) invites applications for the vacant position as Assistant Professor in Structural Engineering, focusing on concrete structures in the research group S...