University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has built up an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution, offering high-quality education and frontier research. We provide balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of fields to about 32,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. We rank as one of the best research universities in Europe and have joined forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, making it a truly international place of knowledge.
Faculty of Arts, Classics
The Faculty of Arts is built on a long-standing tradition of four centuries. Our mission is to be a top-ranking faculty with both excellent education and world-quality research, with a strong international orientation, firmly rooted in the North of The Netherlands. We build and share knowledge that benefits to society. We work at a modern, broad and international institution, educating over 5,500 Dutch and international students to become forward-looking, eloquent and independent academics.
We are very innovative both in Classics’ research and education. Our current research focus on language and literature (Flavian poetry, pragmatics and discourse phenomena, linguistic approaches to Greek religion, landscapes of war in Latin literature, and reception studies), on the urban and religious history of the Antique world, and on landscape and mortuary studies with excavation projects in Italy, Turkey and Greece.We are closely collaborating with the other classics departments in The Netherlands, i.a. in the program Anchoring Innovation , the national master program Masterlanguage and in the national research school OIKOS , which will be coordinated by our Faculty as of January 2021.
The Gravitation program ‘Anchoring (2017-2027) is funded by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.
The Bachelor and Master programs in Classics are wide-ranging, dynamic and multi- and interdisciplinary degree programs. The Bachelor program combines learning Greek and Latin at a high level with that of the classic culture (history, archaeology and philosophy) embedded in academic training. The integration of languages and culture is a characteristic of the programs. We also participate in the two-year interdisciplinary Research Master Classical, Medieval and Early Modern Studies (CMEMS) and the Educational Master for students wishing to become a teacher in Classics. The BA and Educational Master are primarily taught in Dutch, the other programs in English.
To share our success of both our BA and MA programs, to develop together a new bachelor track about the classical world (with no or a minor role for the languages) we are looking for you as an academic expert in Greek and Latin literature and languages with a proven interest in the cultural-historical study of antiquity.
If your educational and research interest comprise the two classical languages, if you have a proven track record in interdisciplinary research or research collaboration with colleagues of cultural-historical studies of the classical world, if your leadership style is encouraging for the group members to get the best out of themselves, and you want to participate in local and (inter)national cooperation, we encourage you to apply.
As a Full professor, 60% of your time is for teaching & educational management and 40% for research & societal impact.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree in Classics (focus on Greek and/or Latin language and literature) or any other closely related discipline, together with a minimum of 5 years of experience with teaching programs and courses, administrative tasks and supervision
• experience with interdisciplinary collaboration
• excellent research qualities, as evidenced by a publication record of books and articles in international peer-reviewed journals, further evidenced by participation in internationally renowned conferences, leading roles in editorial boards of professional journals, and a relevant, strategic international network
• successfully obtained a research project subsidy or submitted a research application that has been assessed as excellent
• evidenced experience in teaching and in contributing substantially to BA/MA degree programs of Classics (with courses in one, preferably both classical languages)
• demonstrated quality to design and coordinate successful courses as well as to successfully supervise BA/MA students, PhD’s and Postdocs. Demonstrated ability of curriculum development
• demonstrated experience with creating societal impact and capability to translate research and teaching to a general audience
• demonstrable excellent leadership and organizational skills
• fluency in English (C1 level of the CEFR) and Dutch or willingness to learn the Dutch language within two years (to at least C1 level of the CEFR – for reading and listening).
And if you are:
• communicating a clear and innovative vision of academic education in general and transcending your own discipline. You have shown to be able to convert this vision into your teaching practice, developing and improving both the content and the didactic methods of the courses, together with the ensuing tests (also online)
• a clearly visible and (internationally) acknowledged expert in your field of research
• a team player with good communication skills
• capable of translating research and teaching to a general audience, thus creating societal impact
• contributing to the organization of research and teaching in Classics, for example by participating in committees or working groups
• willing to fulfill the requirements for the University Teaching Qualification and academic leadership courses with the ability to reflect on your leadership qualities and style
• expected to submit (an) application(s) for external funding of a (major) research project (within 3 years after your appointment).
If you are familiar with the Dutch educational system and the place of Classics therein we consider this an asset.
We will considering you as applicant only if you are ready to move to Groningen and live in the near environment of Groningen within a period of two years.
Conditions of employment
We offer you, depending on your qualifications, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary as a Full Professor, dependent on qualifications and work experience, from € 5,749 up to a maximum of € 8,371 gross per month (scale H2) for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• a pension scheme
• maternity and parental leave
• a mentor programme and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Curious about our further conditions of employment? You can find them here: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/conditions-employment
A description of the chair can be obtained from the Office of the Faculty of Arts, Ms T. Oosterman, telephone: + 31 50 3635834, e-mail: email@example.com
Date of appointment: 1 August 2021 (or earlier if possible)
For information you can contact:
Prof. G.C. Wakker, 31 50 3638192 firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Anthonya Visser, Dean of the Faculty of Arts, email@example.com
(please do not use the email addresses above for applications)
National master program
Gravitation program ‘Anchoring Innovation’ (2017-2027)
Tutor In Egyptology , Swansea University ;, United Kingdom, about 6 hours ago
Hours of work: This is a full time position, 35 hours per week Contract: This is a fixed term position until 30th June 2021, Maternity cover Location: This position will be based in Singleton Park...
Lab Manager (32 Hours Per Week), Radboud University, Netherlands, 4 days ago
32 hours per week Maximum gross monthly salary: € 4,402 Faculty of Arts Required background: Research University Degree Duration of the contract: Fixed-term contract until 30 September 2024 Applic...
Rector, University of Aruba (UA), Netherlands, 29 days ago
You have a PhD degree with at least 5 years of experience in an executive position in a (international) university or college. You have extensive experience in managing education and research proc...
Researcher In Numismatics, Stockholm University, Sweden, 13 days ago
at the Department of Archaeology and Classical Studies . Closing date: 16 October 2020. The Department of Archaeology and Classical Studies consists of six sections: Archaeology, Stockholm Numisma...
Researcher, Uppsala University, Sweden, about 2 hours ago
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively...
Lecturer In Corporate Communication Within Communication Science, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Communication Science at the University of Amsterdam focuses on the production, uses, and consequences of information and communication in informing, persuading, and entertaining citizens. There ...