2 Sep 2023
University of Amsterdam (UvA)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Leading Researcher (R4)
Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
27 Sep 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Do you have the ambition to use and develop new computational techniques from the fields of machine learning and computational science to help understand the physical and natural world? Are you interested to bridge the 3rd (computational) and 4th (data-driven) paradigms of science and connect to scientists from across the natural sciences? We are looking for a full or associate professor to help lead the UvA AI4Science Lab , lead by the Informatics Institute.
We are seeking a candidate to chair the AI4Science Lab either at full professor or associate professor level, depending on qualifications. You are expected to make significant contributions in world-class research and top-quality academic teaching, as well as effective contributions to management and organization of the research group and the Informatics Institute.
The AI4Science lab works closely with the Amsterdam Machine Learning Lab and the Computational Science Lab , and collaborates broadly with researchers in Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy. Your research should focus on developing methods, techniques and approaches from AI and Computational Science to address important scientific challenges. As an informatics institute we are looking for people who both develop and apply new techniques. We invite a wide range of candidates to apply, but examples of suitable profiles could be:
- Understanding and Solving PDEs for Scientific Computing using Machine Learning.
- AI driven Inverse modelling for Scientific Computing.
- Physics-inspired machine learning.
- Causal discovery in scientific data such as genomics data.
Tasks and responsibilities
You are expected to:
- serve as group leader of the AI4Science lab, provide mentoring to PhD students, postdoctoral researchers, and other faculty in the lab, and represent the lab in an administrative capacity at the level of the Institute of Informatics and the Faculty of Science;
- be proactive in establishing collaborations with other institutes and/or companies by contributing your expertise to (joint) research projects;
- carry out fundamental and applied research, publish in high-level international journals and conferences, and supervise PhD students;
- take part in the teaching effort of the institute, supervision of bachelor and master students, and teaching for other departments;
- be active in the attraction of external funding.
Your experience and profile:
- A PhD in computer science or a closely related field;
- Proven ability to engage in cutting-edge research in artificial intelligence (machine learning) and/or computational modelling for scientific applications;
- The ability to provide leadership and mentoring to lab members at all levels of seniority, particularly with an eye to supporting lab members from underrepresented background;
- The capability to initiate and organize new research by identifying innovative research themes, and preferably the contacts necessary to initiate national and international partnerships;
- Proven teaching skills (preferably with a certificate of academic teaching quality) at both the undergraduate and graduate levels;
- An established track record in the acquisition of funded research, attraction of external funding. Experience in valorisation of research, i.e. public outreach, commercialization, and science communication, is preferred;
- Willingness and ability to perform administrative, organisational, and managerial tasks.
We offer a challenging job at a dynamic and ambitious university and an attractive package of fringe benefits, for instance: generous leave arrangements, application for attractive fiscal arrangements is possible for employees from abroad, attractive retirement benefits, collective health insurance and excellent parental leave packages. The job offer will be according to previous experience.
The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week and dependent on relevant experience, for an Associate Professor ranges between € 6,002 to € 8,025 (scale 13-14). For a Full Professor, it ranges between € 6,648 to € 9,680 (scale H2). These salaries do not include the 8% holiday allowance and the 8,3% year-end allowance the UvA offers. The UFO profile Senior Lecturer or Professor is applicable. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Besides the salary and a vibrant and challenging environment at Science Park we offer you multiple fringe benefits:
- 232 holiday hours per year (based on fulltime) and extra holidays between Christmas and 1 January;
- Multiple courses to follow from our Teaching and Learning Centre;
- Multiple courses on topics such as leadership for academic staff;
- 7 weeks birth leave (partner leave) with 100% salary;
- Partly paid parental leave;
- The possibility to set up a workplace at home;
- A pension at ABP for which UvA pays two third part of the contribution;
- The possibility to follow courses to learn Dutch;
- Help with housing for a studio or small apartment when you’re moving from abroad.
Are you curious to read more about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits, take a look here .
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application. You can apply online via the button below. We accept applications until and including 27 September 2023.
Applications should include the following information (all files apart from your CV should be submitted in one single pdf file):
- a letter of motivation (1 page maximum);
- a curriculum vitae, including list of publications and teaching track record;
- a research statement (2 pages maximum);
- a teaching statement (1 page maximum) and
- a list of three references from different institutes. References do not need to have a letter ready at the time of application.
Please make sure to provide ALL requested documents mentioned above.
You can use the CV field to upload your resume as a separate pdf document. Use the Cover Letter field to upload the other requested documents, including the motivation letter, as one single pdf file.
A knowledge security check can be part of the selection procedure.
(for details: National knowledge security guidelines ).
We will invite potential candidates for interviews soon after the expiration of the vacancy.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- E: Jan-Willem van de Meent , Associate Professor (UHD)
- E: Mike Lees , Associate Professor (UHD)
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Faculty of Science
- Postal Code
- Science Park 904
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Two Student Assistants In Experimental Research Automation And Data Management, Slices Pp Project , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 14 days ago
Are you a student at the University of Amsterdam and interested to be involved in practical research in the framework of the running European research project dealing with building large scale res...
Research Officer In Biocatalysis, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 1 day ago
We offer a temporary employment contract for 38 hours per week for a period of 12 months, with a two months probation. The preferred starting date is December 16, 2023. If we assess your performan...
6 Assistant Professor Positions (Career Track) In Computer Science, Bioinformatics And Ai, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is opening 6 new career track positions for talented computer scientists. Do you have expertise in any area of Computer Science, Bioinformatics or AI? Please apply at ...
Three Open Group Leader And Professor Positions: Ai In Biology, VIB, Belgium, 1 day ago
The VIB Center for AI & Computational Biology (VIB.AI) and KU Leuven are searching for three Principal Investigators to join their faculty (Group Leader at VIB, Professor at KU Leuven). We are par...
Open Rank Faculty Positions In Fintech/Financial Engineering/Ai/Ml/Statistics/Data Science, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou) - Fintech Thrust, Spain, 22 days ago
Open-rank faculty Positions in Fintech/Financial Engineering/AI/ML/Statistics/Data Science Department: Financial Technology Thrust, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou) I...
Software Engineer Deep Learning, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
Advance Open-Source AI: Seeking a Skilled Software Engineer for OpenML's Deep Learning Initiative. Position Non academic staff (supporting staff) Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Mathematic...