The Faculty of Science, Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science, is looking for a
Embedded System Software Engineer (Research and Education support) (0.8-1.0fte)
Vacancy number: 13730
We are looking for a technically oriented software engineer/programmer with a heart for education. The Education embedded software engineer supports lecturers in the development, preparation and maintenance of more technical software that is closely related to hardware. The candidate becomes a member of the staff of LIACS, the computer science and AI institute of the Faculty of Science, and collaborates with lecturers, researchers, research software engineers and system administration employees. As a software engineer you are part of the research and education support team.
- Develop and maintain software for various courses taught in Computer Science (CS), Data Science (DS) and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Engage with system administration about the deployment and long-term embedding of this software in the institute’s hardware ecosystem.
- Proactively think along with lecturers about innovations in academic CS, DS and AI courses at the bachelor and master level.
- Address technological questions from students and staff.
- A MSc in Computer Science or Engineering, Artificial Intelligence or a related field, or a BSc in a related field with acquired and/or demonstrated experience with programming and/or machine learning preferably in a research and education setting.
- Interest or experience in developing and maintaining software for specific hardware setups, e.g., CUDA, OS drivers, Robots, IoT devices, Networks, System on Module (SoM) such as Jetson, Embedded controllers, Systems-on-Chip (SoCs), andprototyping/development boards.
- Good programming skills (including bare-metal programming) using a variety of tools and languages, ability to independently become familiar with new libraries and languages.
- Experience with Linux, Python, C and C++ is a must.
- Proof of experience with hardware-related software development.
- Communication and service-oriented skills to support lecturers and students working with the software.
- Creative, ‘making things work’ mentality, independent, and communicative team player.
- Sufficient knowledge of English and preferably some Dutch.
Research and education at our faculty
The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. Our people are driven by curiosity to expand fundamental knowledge and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline. The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is diverse, ranging from mathematics, artificial intelligence, computer science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 1,300 staff and almost 4,000 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together. For more information, see https://www.science.leidenuniv.nl .
The Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) is the Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science Institute in the Faculty of Science of Leiden University. We offer courses at the Bachelor and Master of Science level in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, ICT in Business, Media Technology, and Bioinformatics. According to an independent research visitation, we are one of the foremost computer science departments of the Netherlands. We live and breathe computing. We strive for excellence in a caring institute, where excellence, creativity, fun, and diversity go hand in hand. We offer a state of the art and challenging research computing environment for you to keep up and running, and to improve. For more information about LIACS, see https://www.cs.leiden.edu
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time permanent position for initially one year. After a positive evaluation, the appointment will be extended to a regular position. Salary range from € 2.960,- to € 4.670,- gross per month (pay scale 10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). Intended starting date as early as from 1 August 2023 onwards.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups. We wish to reflect society both in age, gender and culture, as we believe that this would optimize the dynamics in our organization. Therefore, we support and understand the need for a work/life/family balance and consequent varying working hours and places. In the Netherlands, a maternity allowance is standard for 16 weeks. Child care is available at and near the Bio Science Park.
Enquiries can be made to Todor Stefanov, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the procedure, please send an email to Anne-Marie Alleblasjobs@liacs.leidenuniv.nl
Please submit online your application no later than September 30, 2023, via the blue button in our application system. Please ensure that you attach the following additional documents, quoting the vacancy number:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including description of tools and programming languages the candidate has experience in, and optionally a link to a public code repository (e.g., GitHub)
- Motivation letter including one paragraph that demonstrates the candidate's affinity with working in a computer science education environment;
- Names of two references of previous employers or supervisors that have agreed to be consulted in advance.
Data Management Expert With A Heart For Science (0,8 Fte), AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 19 days ago
Organization The UBL offers employees many opportunities to develop. We continuously work towards creating an inspiring, inclusive and diverse work environment in which everyone feels welcome, saf...
Associate Professor | Embedded Systems | Faculty Of Science And Engineering | 1.0 Fte, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 20 days ago
Associate Professor | Embedded Systems | Faculty of Science and Engineering | 1.0 FTE Associate Professor | Embedded Systems | Faculty of Science and Engineering | 1.0 FTE Published Deadline Locat...
Assistant Professor | Edge Computing | Faculty Of Science And Engineering | 1.0 Fte, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Assistant Professor | Edge Computing | Faculty of Science and Engineering | 1.0 FTE Assistant Professor | Edge Computing | Faculty of Science and Engineering | 1.0 FTE Published Deadline Location ...
Assistant Professor | Internet Of Things | Faculty Of Science And Engineering | 1.0 Fte, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Assistant Professor | Internet of Things | Faculty of Science and Engineering | 1.0 FTE Assistant Professor | Internet of Things | Faculty of Science and Engineering | 1.0 FTE Published Deadline L...
Assistant/Associate Professor In Applied Mathematics, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
Vacancies Assistant/Associate Professor in Applied Mathematics Key takeaways The successful candidate will come with a strong track record in applied mathematics and show great enthusiasm for deve...
Communication Professional (20 H/Week), AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
“Ethics of Socially Disruptive Technologies” (Esdit) is an international research programme of seven academic institutions in the Netherlands. It has a combined budget of € 27 million, and is fund...