QuTech is a mission-driven research institute run jointly by Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) and the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO). Together, we work on a radically new technology with world-changing potential, developing scalable prototypes of a quantum computer and an intrinsically safe quantum internet.
We are creating the quantum future, and we believe that quantum technology will be a game changer in many social and economic sectors – including health, agriculture, climate and safety. To achieve our ambitious goals, we bring together scientists, engineers and industry in an inspiring environment, with plenty of space for ambition, entrepreneurship and innovation. Our research and engineering activities are conducted in three divisions: Quantum Computing, Quantum Internet and Qubit Research. 220 FTE and over 300 curious people work in our divisions and support teams, and we actively welcome new colleagues who share our vision and enthusiasm.
Have a look at our video and get a glimpse of QuTech.
As a Cryo Engineer, you have an extensive working experience with cryogenic equipment and in particular with dilution refrigerators.
On daily basis your main responsibilities will be:
- Working together with researchers to continually refine the infrastructure within the cryogenic equipment in order to adapt it to the most recent developments in the area of quantum bits.
- Collaborating within a professional team at the centre of scientific engineering and being the link between the general technicians and the researchers.
- Leading various research setups in our cryo labs.
- Being responsible for maintaining the cryogenic equipment and repairing broken components if needed.
- Taking the lead and being proactive to improve or develop new cryogenic setups according to the latest needs.
- Giving instruction to students who need to use the equipment.
Ideally, you have completed a PhD degree in (Applied) Science. You are able to understand the complexity of the equipment and the researchers’ intent and to translate these into concrete results. You are also practical and, together with the general technicians, able to help and advise the researchers within QuTech. In addition to the background stated above, you have the following competencies:
- You are completely familiar with dilution refrigerators and can operate and fix them independently.
- You have excellent knowledge of cryogenic techniques below 4 Kelvin: Pulse tubes, 1K pot, (dilution) fridges.
- You are persuasive, which enables you to work well with different types of colleagues (scientists, engineers, post-docs, PhD students).
- You are good at organising and scheduling your own work, in synchronisation with the researchers.
- You have good knowledge of vacuum techniques, and associated pumps, pressure gauges, etc.
- You have good knowledge of the properties of materials at low temperatures, such as superconductors, thermal and electrical conductors, expansion coefficients, etc.
- You have the skills to make and install the wiring and coax cables in cryogenic setups.
- You are familiar with filtering techniques at low temperatures to achieve low electron temperatures.
- You have experience with the development and necessary heat calculation for cold fingers, radiation shields, and thermal links at temperatures near absolute zero.
- You are familiar with design programs such as Inventor or Pro/ENGINEER.
- You have good communication skills (and English is the working language).
The Cryo Engineer position is a full-time position for 38 hours per week (1,0 FTE). Appointment is for one year, with the prospect of a permanent contract after 1 year.
The UFO profile ranges from Researcher 4 (VSNU-CAO scale 10, salary between € 2.836 and € 4.474, FT) to Researcher 3 (scale 11, salary between € 3.807 and € 5.211, FT).
Classification will be based on your knowledge and work-experience.
TU Delft/QuTech offers a customizable compensation package, an attractive pension scheme, holiday allowance, generous holidays, 13th month pay (paid as a pro-rata bonus in December), a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers our employees child care and an international primary school. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (VSNU-CAO). Dutch citizenship or a European working permit is required to apply.
Your contract will be with Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), an organisation built on strong foundations. As creators of the world-famous Dutch waterworks, and pioneers in biotech, TU Delft is a top international university combining science, engineering and design. It delivers world class results in education, research and innovation.
For generations, our engineers have proven to be entrepreneurial problem-solvers in both business and social contexts. TU Delft offers 16 Bachelor’s and 32 Master’s programs to more than 23,000 students. Our scientific staff consists of 3,500 staff members and 2,800 PhD candidates. Together we imagine, invent and create solutions using technology to ensure positive change on a global scale: Challenge. Change. Impact!
For information about this vacancy, you can contact Olaf Benningshof, Cryo Engineer at QuTech, email: O.W.B.Benningshof@tudelft.nl .
With questions regarding the procedure, please contact our Recruiter Audrey Monje at A.Monje@tudelft.nl .
Associate Professor In Planetary Exploration, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 26 days ago
Associate Professor in Planetary Exploration Associate Professor in Planetary Exploration Published Deadline Location today 15 Jun Delft Job description The Department of Space Engineering (SpE) h...
Assistant Professor (Academic Career Track) In Technology & Entrepreneurial Marketing, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 15 days ago
Assistant professor (academic career track) in Technology & Entrepreneurial Marketing Assistant professor (academic career track) in Technology & Entrepreneurial Marketing Published Deadline Locat...
Assistant Professor (Academic Career Track) In International Technology Based Entrepreneurship, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 15 days ago
Assistant professor (academic career track) in International Technology-Based Entrepreneurship Assistant professor (academic career track) in International Technology-Based Entrepreneurship Publis...
Associate Professor In Planetary Exploration, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 23 days ago
13 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) Research Field Technology Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country ...
Assistant Or Associate Professor Specialising In Fundamental Astrodynamics, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 7 days ago
31 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) Research Field Technology Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country ...
Assistant Professor In Biotechnology For Sustainable Food Security, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 29 days ago
Assistant Professor in biotechnology for sustainable food security Assistant Professor in biotechnology for sustainable food security Published Deadline Location today 9 Jun Delft Are you the biop...