The Netherlands Centre for Electron Nanoscopy (NeCEN) at Leiden University, is looking for a
Cryo-electron microscopy scientist
NeCEN is looking for a highly talented scientist experienced in cryo-electron microscopy who would like to contribute to the performance of an advanced cryo-EM centre at a world-class level.
You will maintain optimal equipment performance and collect high-quality data as part of a team, with the aim of providing optimal service to NeCEN's users.
NeCEN hosts a range of instruments such as two Titan Krios microscopes (K2 and K3 detectors), a Talos L120C TEM, an Aquilos Cryo-FIB (cryo-lamellae preparation for tomography), cryo-CLEM setup and ancillaries equipment as well as computing resources. The primary responsibility for this position is to optimize and run our large volume sample pipeline (high pressure freezer, cryo-microtome, focussed ion beam and cryo-CLEM) and assist users with the Aquilos sample preparation and Titan Krios data collection. Additionally, EM scientists at NeCEN are offered to perform collaborative research and technical development (approx. 20% of the time) to help ensure NeCEN remains at the forefront of electron microscopy.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Optimize the large volume sample preparation pipeline (from whole cell to lamellae);
- Together with the other EM scientists, take care of the advanced cryo-EM microscope equipment and aid users with data collection;
- Ship, prepare, and load samples, align/tune microscopes prior to data collection, setup and oversee image acquisition, and evaluate data quality;
- Communicate experimental details to users, assist with data analysis in the context of collaborative projects and write experimental methods for resulting publications;
- Maintain ancillary equipment (cryo-plunger, glow discharger, etc.);
- Explore and implement improved data-collection strategies, including testing new software and hardware;
- Maintain accurate logs to monitor microscope performance, experimental conditions, usage, scheduling, and billing;
- Consult with other cryo-EM experts in the region and internationally by participating in cryo-EM meetings and workshops;
- Write clear documentation, establish facility procedures, and perform light administrative duties;
- Willingness to occasionally work evenings and/or weekends to ensure maximal use of microscopes.
- MSc or PhD in the fields of biology, chemistry, or physics;
- Previous experience in cryo-FIB is desired;
- Previous experience in cryo-CLEM would be valued;
- Previous experience in maintaining microscopy equipment and working in a lab would be an advantage;
- A keen interest in contributing to and running an international centre for advanced cryo-electron microscopy;
- Good communication skills;
- Service oriented approach;
- Fluent witten and spoken English.
NeCEN is part of the Faculty of Science of Leiden University and is embedded in the Institute of Biology Leiden (IBL) located in Leiden, in close vicinity to Schiphol airport, Amsterdam and The Hague. Opportunities are provided for further professional development of cryo-EM skills and data processing through courses, training, meetings, and conferences within the field of cryo-EM. NeCEN is closely associated with cryo-EM imaging groups in the Netherlands and is a key node in the Netherlands Electron Microscopy Infrastructure (NEMI) consortium. NeCEN furthermore collaborates with other advanced electron microscopy sites in Europe to enhance technical performance and participates in international research and development projects aimed at providing access to highly advanced infrastructure for Structural Biology, such as Instruct-ERIC and Inext-Discovery.
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time position with a maximum of three years, depending on experience. Salary range, depending on education and work experience, from € 2,790.- to €4,402.- (pay scale 10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) gross per month, based on a full-time appointment.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break (30% ruling).
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Dr. Ludovic Renault, Head of NeCEN, email email@example.com . Information about NeCEN can be found at the website.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to NeCEN@biology.leidenuniv.nl . Please ensure that you send your CV, cover letter, and contact details of two referees quoting vacancy number 21-180. Only applications received no later than Sunday June 15 2021 will be considered.
The selection procedure will involve a Skype interview shortly after positively reviewing your application. A possible second interview will take place shortly afterwards with an immediate starting date. Received applications will be reviewed weekly. Interviews will be arranged immediately afterwards.
Senior Lab Manager, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 10 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? A Senior Lab Manager position is available in the 3D-EM facility at the Karolinska Institutet, one of the world’s leading biomedical rese...
Electron Microscopy Manager/Scientific Officer, University of Otago, New Zealand, about 22 hours ago
Electron Microscopy Manager/Scientific Officer-2100708 DIVISION OF HEALTH SCIENCES The University of Otago is a research-intensive university with a long history of excellence. Ranked within the t...
Facility Staff Member High End Em (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 18 hours ago
The revolution in electron microscopy (EM) has greatly increased the demand for high-end EM in both Life Sciences and Materials Sciences. EM is the only technique available that can image the atom...
Facility Staff Member High End Em (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Facility staff member high-end EM (1.0 FTE) Job description The revolution in electron microscopy (EM) has greatly increased the demand for high-end EM in both Life Sciences and Materials Sciences...
Research Support Officer, EMBL, Worldwide, 9 days ago
A research support officer position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Wojciech Galej at EMBL Grenoble, France. We are looking for a motivated individual to join the team investigating the stru...
Junior Specialist Position (Bioinformatics Software Developer For Databases And Web Servers), International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, Poland, 4 days ago
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by Prof. Janusz M. Bujnicki, offers a position for a Junio...