The Netherlands Centre for Electron Nanoscopy (NeCEN) at Leiden University, is looking for a
Cryo-electron microscopy scientist
NeCEN is looking for a highly talented scientist experienced in cryo-electron microscopy who would like to contribute to the performance of an advanced cryo-EM centre at a world-class level.
You will maintain optimal equipment performance and collect high-quality data as part of a team, with the aim of providing optimal service to NeCEN's users.
NeCEN hosts a range of instruments such as two Titan Krios microscopes (K2 and K3 detectors), a Talos L120C TEM, an Aquilos Cryo-FIB (cryo-lamellae preparation for tomography), cryo-CLEM setup and ancillaries equipment as well as computing resources. The primary responsibility for this position is to optimize and run our large volume sample pipeline (high pressure freezer, cryo-microtome, focussed ion beam and cryo-CLEM) and assist users with the Aquilos sample preparation and Titan Krios data collection. Additionally, EM scientists at NeCEN are offered to perform collaborative research and technical development (approx. 20% of the time) to help ensure NeCEN remains at the forefront of electron microscopy.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Optimize the large volume sample preparation pipeline (from whole cell to lamellae);
- Together with the other EM scientists, take care of the advanced cryo-EM microscope equipment and aid users with data collection;
- Ship, prepare, and load samples, align/tune microscopes prior to data collection, setup and oversee image acquisition, and evaluate data quality;
- Communicate experimental details to users, assist with data analysis in the context of collaborative projects and write experimental methods for resulting publications;
- Maintain ancillary equipment (cryo-plunger, glow discharger, etc.);
- Explore and implement improved data-collection strategies, including testing new software and hardware;
- Maintain accurate logs to monitor microscope performance, experimental conditions, usage, scheduling, and billing;
- Consult with other cryo-EM experts in the region and internationally by participating in cryo-EM meetings and workshops;
- Write clear documentation, establish facility procedures, and perform light administrative duties;
- Willingness to occasionally work evenings and/or weekends to ensure maximal use of microscopes.
- MSc or PhD in the fields of biology, chemistry, or physics;
- Previous experience in cryo-FIB is desired;
- Previous experience in cryo-CLEM would be valued;
- Previous experience in maintaining microscopy equipment and working in a lab would be an advantage;
- A keen interest in contributing to and running an international centre for advanced cryo-electron microscopy;
- Good communication skills;
- Service oriented approach;
- Fluent witten and spoken English.
NeCEN is part of the Faculty of Science of Leiden University and is embedded in the Institute of Biology Leiden (IBL) located in Leiden, in close vicinity to Schiphol airport, Amsterdam and The Hague. Opportunities are provided for further professional development of cryo-EM skills and data processing through courses, training, meetings, and conferences within the field of cryo-EM. NeCEN is closely associated with cryo-EM imaging groups in the Netherlands and is a key node in the Netherlands Electron Microscopy Infrastructure (NEMI) consortium. NeCEN furthermore collaborates with other advanced electron microscopy sites in Europe to enhance technical performance and participates in international research and development projects aimed at providing access to highly advanced infrastructure for Structural Biology, such as Instruct-ERIC and Inext-Discovery.
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time position with a maximum of three years, depending on experience. Salary range, depending on education and work experience, from € 2,790.- to €4,402.- (pay scale 10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) gross per month, based on a full-time appointment.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break (30% ruling).
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Dr. Ludovic Renault, Head of NeCEN, email firstname.lastname@example.org . Information about NeCEN can be found at the website.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to NeCEN@biology.leidenuniv.nl . Please ensure that you send your CV, cover letter, and contact details of two referees quoting vacancy number 21-180. Only applications received no later than Sunday June 15 2021 will be considered.
The selection procedure will involve a Skype interview shortly after positively reviewing your application. A possible second interview will take place shortly afterwards with an immediate starting date. Received applications will be reviewed weekly. Interviews will be arranged immediately afterwards.
Imaging & Characterization Core Lab Cryo Em Staff Scientist, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, about 23 hours ago
Position Summary : The individual serves the IAC mission to support research at KAUST and regionally by providing techniques and expertise for advanced and routine electron microscopy analysis in ...
Specialist In Microscopy Image Processing And Analysis At The Microscopy Core Lab, Faculty Of Health, Medicine And Life Sciences, Maastricht University, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Specialist in microscopy image processing and analysis at the Microscopy CORE lab, Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences Specialist in microscopy image processing and analysis at the Micro...
Scientific Technician, Uniwersytet Jagielloński, Poland, 17 days ago
Excellent training: in our diverse group you will be able to network with international researchers, and be exposed to a wide range of skills and techniques such as DNA origami design, enzyme bioc...
Full Professor Of Practice And Theory Of Research In The Visual Arts, Leiden University, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Leiden University The Faculty of Humanities has a wealth of expertise in the fields of philosophy, history, history of art, arts, literature, linguistics, religious studies and area studies of alm...
Assistant Professor In Large Scale Photonic Circuits For Quantum Information Processing And Quantum Computing, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 11 days ago
Disruptive Computing Engines will enable revolutionary developments in science and society that require far greater and more efficient computing power than currently available. For instance, while...
2 Year Lecturer Position In Medieval English Language And Literature, Leiden University, Netherlands, 8 days ago
We offer a 0.5 FTE position initially for one year, with the possibility of renewal for one year based on performance. Salary range from € 2.846,- to € 4.490,- gross per month for a fulltime appoi...