(Bio)Statistician/Informatician (1.0 FTE) (V23.0610)
- « Back to the overview
We are seeking for a person to strengthen our growing PharmacoTherapy, -Epidemiology&-Economics group, who is passionate about solving complex analytical problems in pharmacy research/post-marketing research with a major emphasis on statistical analyses of big health care data.
Are you the (bio)statistician or PhD graduate from another quantitative discipline with an interest in the (causal) analysis of high-dimensional data? Do you have strong statistical skills and knowledge of state-of-the art methods? Are you interested in working with real-world data, e.g. PharmLines data (iadb.nl) and Transplantlines data (https://www.umcg.nl/(...)ek/transplantlines)? Then this function is of interest to you.
You will be part of a multidisciplinary team analyzing clinical, drug prescription and omics data (e.g. proteomics, metabolomics, genetic) obtained from multiple sources.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- providing statistical input to observational study designs, sample size estimations
- contribution to scientific publications and advancing our research regarding the statistical analysis of high-dimensional data
- contribution to educational courses offered by the unit and assisting co-workers
- development and maintenance of programming requirements according to the Research Data Management Plan
- establishing and sustaining academic relationships, promoting statistical conversations, and supporting or directing statistical operations
- using your extensive experience with healthcare databases to guide researchers in creating research protocols
- translating research protocols into corresponding data selections for analysis.
In your daily work, you will collaborate closely with colleagues within our unit, other researchers at the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy as well as staff from the interfaculty graduate school research group PEGET (https://umcgresearch.org/w/peget ).
We expect you to be able to handle various assignments concurrently and work in close collaboration with a diverse team of statisticians, methodologists and data programmers on various skill levels. Coaching of less experienced colleagues is a natural part of the job, and we expect you to be able to communicate statistical problems and ideas clearly to both statistical colleagues as well as researchers with a different scientific and cultural background.
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy (GRIP), and specifically in the research group Pharmaco-Therapy, -Epidemiology & -Economics (see https://www.rug.nl/(...)ology-and-economics/ ). Although GRIP is positioned within the Faculty of Science and Engineering, it is physically located within the University Medical Centre Groningen (UMCG) of the Faculty of Medical Sciences - hence, in ideal proximity to benefit from collaborations between the two faculties. Pharmaceutical research within GRIP is highly multidisciplinary. It bridges the clinical and biomedical sciences on the one hand, and chemistry, mathematics (statistics) and physics on the other. The interaction between the pharmaceutical sciences and these fundamental and clinical sciences offers excellent opportunities for ground-breaking research.
We invite you to apply if you:
- have obtained a master’s degree with a strong quantitative component, such as statistics, mathematics, physics, computer science, epidemiology, psychometrics, econometrics or similar
- have a PhD in any of these areas, obtained no longer than 8 years ago
- have two to six years of working experience with big (health) data science
- have strong analytical thinking and problem-solving abilities
- have knowledge of (bio)statistical methodologies and theories
- have expertise in data management and analysis
- have affinity with teaching
- have an excellent command of English.
Furthermore, the candidate has:
- experience with R or experience in similar environments (Matlab/STATA/Python/SAS,) and able to quickly learn R
- enough experience with SPSS to assist students or colleagues
- knowledge of SQL databases or willingness to learn
- affinity for working in an interdisciplinary setting
- experience with communicating technical subject matter to people with a non-technical background of various cultural backgrounds
- an interest in keeping up to date on the latest developments in statistical and epidemiological science, e.g. advanced causal modeling techniques and/or artificial intelligence methods
- able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,226 up to a maximum of € 5,090 gross per month (salary scale 10, depending on your experience) for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
- a pension scheme
- maternity and parental leave.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/
We invite you to submit a complete application including
- a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
- a curriculum vitae, possibly including a list of publications/reports and a list with names of references.
You may apply for this position until 23 October 11:59pm / before 24 October 2023 Dutch local time (CEST) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place on 10 November 2023.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/(...)rsity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. E. Hak, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.
- Research institute
- Faculty of Science and Engineering
Career Track Assistant Professorship In Econometrics (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 29 days ago
4 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Economics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applicat...
Eng D Position: “Design Of A Model To Predict The Wet Grip Behavior”, University of Twente (UT), Netherlands, 16 days ago
17 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Twente (UT) Research Field Technology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 31 Jan 2...
Assistant Professor (Ud) Modern History (0,8 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 1 day ago
2 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Language sciences Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands ...
Want To Contribute To Development Of Precision Medicine In Rheumatic Diseases?, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 4 days ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? At the Clinical Epidemiology Division, one of our research groups works with clinical epidemiological research on rheumatoid arthritis an...
Statistical Consultant/Teacher (F/M/X) , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 14 hours ago
27.11.2023, Wissenschaftliches Personal Your tasks - Conduct statistical consultation for Helmholtz scientists and industry partners - Communicate with customers on administrative and technical le...
Paramedic, University of Arkansas, United States, 7 days ago
Current University of Arkansas System employees including student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the Workday search bar to view ...