- Employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary: € 5,294 - € 6,444
- Nijmegen School of Management
- Required background: PhD
- Application deadline: 4 July 2022
Are you a motivated researcher specialised in the intersection of health and globalization? As associate professor, you will help students develop their knowledge and conduct research on geographies of health and globalization. This way, you will contribute to the education of the new generation and to new insights in your field. You do all this in a modern, sustainable campus with an informal work environment.
The Geography Chair group at Radboud University is looking for an Associate Professor specialised in the intersection of health and globalization. Your expertise may include such themes as global health, health care inequality, the spread of disease, the governance of health, and transnational modalities of care. We are particularly interested in engaged academic whose work will reinforce our relational and critical perspectives on places, spatial relations and spatial practices. We seek a colleague whose management skills will contribute to an inclusive work environment where responsibilities and tasks are shared.
You will be expected to contribute to the research and teaching programmes of the Geography Chair group and the broader Geography, Planning and Environment Department. You will teach several courses in the Bachelor's programme in Geography, Planning and Environment and will be involved in different Master's degree specialisations in Human Geography. You will develop a new research programme on the geographies of health and globalisation, and relate these research activities to our existing teaching programmes. You will conduct disciplinary and transdisciplinary research, publish in relevant and acknowledged academic journals, attract external funding for research projects, acquire and supervise PhD projects, and build international networks with academics and societal partners. As an associate professor, you will take up management, supervision and coordination tasks at chair group, department and faculty levels.
- You hold a PhD degree in a relevant social science field (e.g. geography, sociology of health, anthropology, political science, urban planning, or environmental sciences).
- You have an excellent reputation in the field of health geographies and/or globalisation studies, evidenced by publications in high-quality journals, and a track record in attracting research funds.
- You have ample experience with societal engagements and a clear vision on transformative change related to health, inequality and space and place.
- You have at least four years of experience in academic teaching and research in geography and/or health. Experience in teaching methodology courses would be an advantage.
- You have proven effective teaching skills evidenced by a Dutch university teaching qualification (BKO or UKO) or equivalent.
- You have a clear and innovative research agenda for developing a new research programme in the geographies of health and globalisation.
- You have a proven ability to supervise PhD candidates.
- You have proven experience of management and coordination tasks.
- You have substantial international experience and have established a robust international network of contacts.
- You have a vision on co-producing safe and inclusive work and teaching environments.
- You have excellent English language skills and are willing to learn Dutch (a working knowledge of additional languages would be an advantage).
- You have a proven ability to collaborate in inter- and transdisciplinary teams.
The Nijmegen School of Management enables students, institutions, companies, societal actors and governments to play their part in a transformation towards sustainable societies. In doing so, the faculty is committed to Radboud University's mission in contributing to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all.
In the context of our 'Responsible governance for sustainable societies' mission, we address scientific and societal challenges from a good governance perspective. Our work focuses on the topics Beyond Economy, Climate, Inclusivity, Safety, and Democracy.
At the Nijmegen School of Management, academic research and teaching are carried out in challenging educational programmes. These programmes are offered in the areas of Business Administration, Economics and Business Economics, Geography, Planning and Environment, Political Science and Public Administration. Our academic research takes place within the Institute for Management Research (IMR). This research is carried out within the above-mentioned domains and in interdisciplinary research groups (called Hot Spots). Around 5,000 students study at the Nijmegen School of Management, and the faculty has around 350 FTE staff.
As part of Nijmegen School of Management, the Human Geography Chair is a growing, dynamic and collaborative group of committed academics. We offer specialisations in Urban and Cultural Geography; Border Studies; Political Geography and Geopolitics of Conflict; Globalisation, Migration and Development; Economic Geography; and Cultural Geography of Tourism. Our research activities strongly relate to our teaching programmes. The current group of geographers at Radboud University have substantially enriched conceptual, methodological and empirical debates on such topics as urban public space; (b)ordering of spaces; regional economic innovation systems; migrant transnationalism and mobility/immobility; cross-border governance; place identities; and care and diversity, as well as cultural politics and urban activism. We feel committed to a critical but constructive approach and want to make a difference in respect to current societal problems. At the same time, we are academically ambitious and inspired by topical international academic debates and by recent developments in social theories, which we experience as highly relevant for our research and teaching. We employ different methodological approaches.
We closely collaborate with other disciplines at Radboud University and with other universities in the Netherlands and abroad.
Together with the Spatial Planning group and Environmental Governance and Politics group, the Geography group forms the GPE department that is responsible for the Bachelor's degree programme in Geography, Planning and Environment, in which each year 90-100 students enrol from pre-university education. In addition, there are around 60 students who transfer from pre-Master's programmes each year. Finally, the Geography Chair groups offers six master specializations. Altogether, these Master's degree programmes attracted between 80 and 100 students in recent years.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €5,294 and a maximum of €6,444 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 13 ). Salary scale 14 may apply.
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 1,5 year, with the possibility of extension to permanent position depending on performance.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Joris Schapendonk, Chair Human Geography at email@example.com .
Practical information and applications
You can apply until 4 juli 2022, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Joris Schapendonk. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
- Research and teaching statement (max. 1000 words).
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Full Professor Of Human Geography, EURAXESS, Netherlands, 19 days ago
Are you a committed geographer, with the depth and drive to invest in questions about equalities and injustices in geographies of global sustainability? And do you connect the social to the enviro...
Horizon Msca 2021 Dn 01 01 (Dc3) Evolutionary Quantification Of Breast Density After Surgery Or..., Radboudumc, Netherlands, 18 days ago
Prof. Ioannis Sechopoulos and Dr. Marco Caballo, part of the Advanced X-ray Tomographic Imaging (AXTI) laboratory, established at the Department of Medical Imaging at Radboud University Medical Ce...
Assistant Professor Economic Geography And Regional Studies (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
Organisation The Faculty of Spatial Sciences is a mid-sized faculty with approximately 100 members of staff, 100 PhD researchers and around 1.000 undergraduate students. We focus on high quality t...
Assistant Professor Economic Geography And Regional Studies (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
Assistant Professor Economic Geography and Regional Studies (1.0 FTE) (222531) « Back to the overview Job description The Faculty of Spatial Sciences is looking to hire a versatile assistant profe...
Research Technician, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Research Technician Research Technician Published Deadline Location yesterday 25 Aug Nijmegen Job description Are you passionate about technology and do you want to boost your career by working wi...
Assistant At Department Of Social And Economic Geography In Institute Of Geography And Regional..., University of Wroclaw, Poland, 25 days ago
University of Wroclaw invites applications for the position of the assistant at Department of Social and Economic Geography in Institute of Geography and Regional Development of The Faculty of Ear...