Irène Curie Fellowship
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is looking for an associate professor in the department of the Built Environment
Urbanism and Urban Architecture (1,0 fte)
In the Department of the Built Environment there is a position available for a senior female Associate Professor in the chair of Urbanism and Urban Architecture (UUA). The Department offers a comprehensive, research-oriented Master of Science (MSc.) degree program within the broad field of the Built Environment. Graduates go on to work in diverse professional areas, such as architecture, urban design and planning, building physics, installation techniques, construction, real estate management and building production. The teaching is based on cutting edge research, supported by various laboratories and embedded in a well-established high ranking research program.
The department is organized in four disciplinary units on structural engineering, building physics, architecture and urban planning. Each having its own contribution to the departmental teaching and research program. At the same time the department has a strong track-record in cross-disciplinary collaboration to contribute to the big societal challenges on sustainable development of the build environment in an integral and systemic way. The chair of UUA is situated in the unit AUDE, combining architectural and urban design, but has strong collaborations with the unit USRE, combining urban systems and real estate. The chairs focus combines therefor lenses of urban studies and planning as well as of urban and architectural design.
The Urbanism and Urban Architecture (UUA) chair oversees education and carries out research on the spatial design and planning of the city, from building typology and block morphology to urban masterplan design and regional planning. The aim is to contribute to the transition towards sustainable urban (re-)development of the built living environment according to the UN’s Urban Development Goals. These transitions ask for a systemic approach of the city with due attention for the interplay between aspects and path dependencies which shape the contemporary city, but also for the processes and actors that determine its historical evolution and its future. To this aim, theory and methods from urban design and social sciences are combined, with emphasis on qualitative and empirical research methods. There is a specific interest in the impact of the digital revolution on these qualitative research-and-design methods (real time big data, behavioral economics, digital commons) and the possibilities these methods offer to arrive at a better founded and structured – a more systematic – approach of urban design and planning in a participatory multi-actor setting.
Candidates with an interest and track record on the above-mentioned research and teaching agenda are invited to apply for this vacancy. Specifically, academics with a focus on urban design and planning theory and methodology, combined with an interest on the impact of digital technologies on these methodologies (data analytics and visualization, multicriteria and -actor approaches, impact assessment, modelling and digital twinning, virtual reality, gamification etc.) are invited.
Within the Urbanism and Urban Architecture chair group, the Associate Professor will contribute to both education and research. Time allocation is distributed evenly between these duties.
The candidate will be involved both in the education part of the Bachelor’s major in Architectural and Urban Design as well as in the Master’ track in Urban Design and Planning (UDP). Especially in the master track UDP, the interaction between research and design, between theory and practice is central, both on the level of the architectonic composition of the city, the city plan, and that of the region.
The candidate is expected to engage in scholarly activities, such as writing proposals for national and international grants, applied and academic research projects, contributing to the research activities of the group in collaborated efforts with co- workers, master and PhD students and present the outcomes of the research activities at international conferences and in well-respected academic and professional journals. An international orientation goes without saying, as well as a broad interest in the disciplinary diversity of urban design and planning as well as urban architecture.
Management and leadership
The associate professor has her own research profile and is expected to develop her own research team, as an autonomous senior scientific research and education taking initiative in high quality research and delivering high quality education. This team of the associate professor is expected to be strongly intertwined with the UUA research chair as a whole, and she is expected to share the responsibility for the management of chair, as well as the department. The candidate is expected to be open for collaboration in research and education.
We are looking for a candidate who is preferably trained as an urban designer and planner, with a PhD on a relevant subject for this position. The candidate should meet the following requirements:
- A qualification in Urban Design or in a combination with one of the Urban Studies (geographer, urban sociologist, spatial economist or urban historian) and relevant work experience in the practice of urban design and planning;
- Several years of experience in academic research and published the research in international journals and on conferences;
- Experienced in the acquisition and organization of research projects and programs
- A broad orientation in urbanism and urban architecture and the various subfields
- Developed an international reputation and network in urbanism and architecture
- Access to adequate networks in science and practice;
- Proven didactic qualities and the ability to pass on knowledge and skills to students;
- Using rigorous scientific approaches to problems of applied relevance;
- Willingness to work on education and research within a team.
- In the event of equal suitability, preference will be given to a female candidate.
Conditions of employment
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university with a broad (inter)national network.
- A temporary appointment for 5 days a week (1,0 fte) for five years in a 'development track' (tenure track). The development track can lead to a permanent appointment as associate professor. This track provides young and talented scientists with the opportunity to grow into an internationally acknowledged academic. Based upon performance indicators (appointment criteria) agreed on at the start of your appointment, and a positive advices of the appointment advisory committee, a decision will be made in the final year whether or not to offer you a permanent (tenured) position.
- Support to your professional and personal development. You will be enrolled into a program to acquire the University Teaching Qualification (BKO) within 3 years. Furthermore, you will have the opportunity to participate in the training Academic Leadership for Assistant Professors.
- Gross monthly salaries in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO NU). Salary is based on knowledge and experience and is at least € 5.506,- up to a max. of € 6.702,- gross per month (salary scale 13) at a fulltime appointment;
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8,3% of the annual salary.
- An attractive package of fringe benefits, including excellent work facilities, child care and excellent sport facilities.
- International candidates may be eligible to apply for the 30% facility (a tax free reimbursement of extraterritorial costs).
- For candidates living abroad assistance for finding accommodation can be given.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is a top-ranking Dutch university that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a number 1 position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Curious to hear more about what it is like as an associate professor at TU/e? Please view the video below.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact the hiring manager prof.dr.ir. Pieter van Wesemael (p.j.v.v.wesemael[at]tue.nl).
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Scott Jacops, HR Advisor, HRadviceBE[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.
Research Associate, Architecture, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
Job Description Collaborate with the Department of Architecture at the National University of Singapore (NUS) on research projects related to the NUS Campus Masterplan redevelopment; Support the t...
Tenure Track Assistant Professors Of Design 2022 2023, Description, Spain, about 8 hours ago
Location: Madrid & Segovia, Spain Open Date: Feb 28, 2022 Description The IE School of Architecture and Design seeks qualified candidates for the appointment of two full-time tenure-track assista...
Professor In Urban And Regional Design, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, 14 days ago
« Back to Jobs Professor in Urban and Regional Design Location: Te Aro Type: Permanent Post Date: Thu Nov 3 23:50:09 2022 Ref: 5145 Do you have a completed PhD in a relevant field, or a Masters w...
Associate Professor Of Tangible Interaction And Product Design , University of Aarhus ;, Denmark, 16 days ago
The School of Communication and Culture at Aarhus University invites applications for the position of Associate Professor of Tangible Interaction and Product Design based at the Department of Digi...
Lecturer In Architecture 0.4, Coventry University, United Kingdom, about 13 hours ago
We are looking to employ at the earliest opportunity an experienced professional who is able to deliver inspirational and engaged teaching within the BSc (Hons) Architecture and the MArch at the S...
Full Professor Position In Architecture Theory And History, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 22 days ago
At Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), we believe diversity broadens our research scope and enhances the quality of our education. Our Irene Curie fellowship program aims to advance talente...