Associate Professor in Media & Culture (Film Studies)
Associate Professor in Media & Culture (Film Studies)
What are you going to do?
You will join the Department of Media Studies and you will provide education in a dynamic context with ample opportunities for the development of innovative teaching methods. Your research will be part of the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis , one of the five research schools of the Amsterdam Institute for Humanities Research . ASCA is home to more than 100 researchers and more than 140 PhD candidates, and conducts world-leading research in Cultural Analysis. ASCA researchers share a commitment to studying culture in all its forms and expressions within an interdisciplinary framework, and to maintaining a close connection with contemporary cultural and political debates. All ASCA research fits into at least one, but usually more than one of five thematic constellations: 1) Mediality; 2) Arts & Aesthetics; 3) Globalization & Migration; 4) Identities; and 5) Cultural & Social Critique.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- designing and conducting independent and innovative research on film, media and its cultural expressions resulting in academic publications in peer-reviewed international journals and/or books;
- actively pursuing external funding for research, notably funding from research councils, national as well as European;
- actively contributing to and developing national and international research networks and other forms of institutional or professional cooperation;
- actively contributing to the research activities of the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA);
- developing, coordinating and teaching courses in both Dutch and English, in the BA programme in Media and Culture as well as in the MA programme in Film Studies and the Research Master's in Media Studies;
- supervising Bachelor and Master theses and tutoring students; co-supervising PhD theses;
- actively contributing to the development and improvement of the broader teaching programmes in the department;
- taking part in committees and working groups, and carrying out various departmental administrative and management tasks at departmental and faculty level;
- directing and coordinating academic programs at BA and MA level.
- max. 38 hours per week
- €5506—€6702 per month
- Amsterdam View on Google Maps
University of Amsterdam (UvA)
You are a dynamic and ambitious researcher with a strong profile, demonstrable by international publications and an international academic network. Your publications show broad knowledge of film and media from a cultural perspective, familiarity with current debates in film theory, media aesthetics and/or film histories and media archaeology, and a strong affinity with film studies in the larger field of media studies. Your research is interdisciplinary and fits into at least one of ASCA's research constellations (see above).
You are able to develop and provide modules on on a wide range of media topics, in particular film and its various forms and expressions, as well as its intersections with digital and/or social media, popular and visual culture, the arts and other related disciplines. Important is proven flexibility in teaching on topics beyond your own research focus and expertise, and the ability to offer inspiring lectures and tutorials in the BA, MA and minor programmes that aspire to a diverse group of students. You like to work in teams, are collegial and resistant to stress when it gets busy.
Your experience and profile:
- holds a PhD in Media and Culture with relevant research focus in film;
- has an international academic network in the research area concerned;
- provides research output commensurate with the level of the position;
- is an active and ambitious researcher with a strong publication record;
- demonstrates ability and ambition to obtain external research grants;
- has broad and relevant teaching experience at BA, MA and PhD level;
- has excellent command (near-native fluency) of both Dutch and English. An active and passive command of Dutch must be acquired within two years of the employment contract and the state examination for Dutch as a Second Language programme II must be passed;
- is a good team worker and versatile at all levels, capable of multidisciplinary co-operation;
- has excellent organisational and coordination experience as well as proven management skills;
- has acquired the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification, or is willing to acquire this within the first two years.
Conditions of employment
We offer permanent employment upon a satisfactory evaluation following a temporary employment contract of a maximum of 18 months with a probationary period of two months. If you already have an employment contract with the UvA, we offer permanent employment upon a satisfactory evaluation following a temporary employment contract of a maximum of 12 months. The employment is for 38 hours per week. Preferred starting date is 01 February 2023.
The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week, ranges between € 5,506 to € 6,702 (scale 13) dependent on relevant experience. This sum does not include the 8% holiday allowance and the 8,3% year-end allowance. A favourable tax agreement, the '30% ruling', may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
We additionally offer:
- the opportunity to collaborate in interdisciplinary teams;
- excellent opportunities for study and personal development;
- an inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
Faculty of Humanities
The University of Amsterdam is the Netherlands' largest university, offering the widest range of academic programmes. At the UvA, 30,000 students, 6,000 staff members and 3,000 PhD candidates study and work in a diverse range of fields, connected by a culture of curiosity.
The Faculty of Humanities provides education and conducts research with a strong international profile in a large number of disciplines in de field of language and culture. Located in the heart of Amsterdam, the faculty maintains close ties with many cultural institutes in the capital city. Research and teaching staff focus on interdisciplinary collaboration and are active in several teaching programmes.
Want to know more about our organisation? Read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Prof. B.J. de Kloet , Head of Department
Working at UvA
The University of Amsterdam is ambitious, creative and committed: a leader in international science and a partner in innovation, the UvA has been inspiring generations since 1632.
Apply for this job
Apply for this job
This application process is managed by the employer (University of Amsterdam (UvA)). Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.Apply for this job via the employer's website
Thank you for applying
Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Tip: save this job as favorite in your AcademicTransfer account. This gives you an immediate overview and makes it easy to find the job later on. No account yet? Create it now and take advantage of other useful functionalities too!
Back to the vacancy
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application. You can apply online via the link below. The deadline for applying for this vacancy is 16 October 2022.
Applications should include the following information (submitted in one .pdf):
- a letter of motivation;
- a detailed CV;
- a list of publications;
- the names and email addresses of two references who can provide letters of recommendation.
The interviews will be held in the course of November 2022. A trial lecture may be part of the application procedure.
Assistant Professor In Film Studies (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 24 days ago
The Arts, Culture and Media programme of the University of Groningen is looking for a highly motivated full-time Assistant Professor in Film Studies (in Dutch: universitair docent). The candidate ...
Assistant Professor In Film Studies (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
Organisation Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has established an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative university. In international rankings it regularly fe...
Assistant Professor In Film Studies (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 23 hours ago
Assistant Professor in Film Studies (1.0 FTE) (222752) « Back to the overview Job description The Arts, Culture and Media programme of the University of Groningen is looking for a highly motivated...
Assistant In The Group Of Research Teaching Staff [47/2022/Na/Sf], University of Silesia in Katowice, Poland, 20 days ago
RECTOR OF THE UNIVERSITY OF SILESIA IN KATOWICE announces the open call for the position of Assistant in the group of research-teaching staff Place of work: Krzysztof Kieślowski Film School, Inst...
Arts Professor Of Film And New Media, Open Rank, New York University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Arts Professor of Film and New Media, Open Rank New York University: NYU - Global: Abu Dhabi: AD_Arts and Humanities: AD_Film & New Media Location Abu Dhabi Open Date Nov 08, 2022 Description The ...
Assistant Professor In Film And Media Studies (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 16 days ago
The Arts, Culture and Media and Media Studies programmes of the University of Groningen are looking for a highly motivated full-time Assistant Professor in Film and Media Studies (in Dutch: univer...