Do you like/are you looking for a challenging job in a dynamic setting? The department of Business Analytics of the Amsterdam Business School is looking for an Associate/Full Professor in Information Systems for Business.
This position for associate or full-professor is within the Business Analytics section at the Amsterdam Business School (University of Amsterdam) in the cluster Digital Business. The department participates in the bachelor and master programmes in Business Administration, a university-wide minor in Data Science at the bachelor level, a master track in Digital Business, a bachelor in Business Analytics, a master in Business Analytics and Data Science, an MBA in Big Data & Business Analytics and several post-graduate programmes on Big Data & Business Analytics, including programmes on industrial statistics and Lean Six Sigma. To stimulate Big Data & Business Analytics, the school actively participates in Amsterdam Data Science, an all-department initiative of the University of Amsterdam (UvA), the Vrije University Amsterdam (VU), the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (HvA) and the Center for Mathematics & Computer Science (CWI). Within Amsterdam Data Science, a large number of research projects on Data Science take place, both with a theoretical focus and with an applied / industrial focus.
Members of the section participate in several Dutch Research Council (NWO)-funded research projects as well as those related to the newly created “Analytics for a Better World” institute. Members of the department regularly publish in the AIS Senior Scholar basket of journals, apart from publishing in FT50 journals. Some members are associate editors of respected journals such as IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management and Information Systems Frontiers.
Finally, the school participates in the Tinbergen Institute, a globally top 5% ranked institute for (Business) Economic and Econometric research of the University of Amsterdam, VU Amsterdam and the Erasmus University of Rotterdam.
What are you going to do
The associate or full professor would be expected to teach for 50% of the total working time and do research and apply for governmental and industry funding in the remaining time.
The new associate or full professor is a specialist in Business Information Systems.
The job consists of:
- Teaching courses on Information Systems, including managerially focused courses as well as more hands-on low-code/no-code app development labs at Bachelor, Master and PhD levels, along with thesis supervision. The focus will be on courses in the Digital Business track or the currently developed MSc in Business Information Technology Management. The candidate may be asked to assume the programme director role for that programme. Time dedicated to teaching activities will be around 50% of total working time;
- conducting Research Projects related to Business Information Systems and the section’s or school’s focus areas (business analytics and/or information systems). Time dedicated to research activities will be around 50% of total working time;
- attracting governmental and industry funding for these research projects.
What do we require
Candidates with excellent qualifications who are currently working at the associate or full professor level may be considered for a full professor position or be on an accelerated track to that position.
Your experience and profile:
The preferred candidate:
- Has a PhD in (Business) Information Systems from a department in (Technical) Business Studies;
- has at least 5 to 7 years of experience at the assistant/associate professor level;
- has published articles in international top-tier journals (including the AIS Senior Scholar basket of journals) and meets the UvA ABS tenure criteria;
- has demonstrated excellent teaching skills;
- has shown success in attracting research grants and/or industry-sponsored projects;
- possesses a relevant international academic and industry network;
- has some managerial experience in teaching and research.
We offer a temporary full-time or part-time contract for 1 year. The preferred starting date is 1st September 2024. Upon positive evaluation and satisfactory performance, you will be offered an extension/a permanent contract.
The gross monthly salary based on full-time employment (38 hours per week) ranges from €5,506 up to a maximum of €8,881 (salary scale 16). This is exclusive of an 8% holiday allowance and an 8,3% end-of-year bonus. The starting salary will be based on qualifications, expertise and relevant experience. The profile associate/full professor is applicable in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities .
In addition, the UvA offers excellent study and development opportunities and encourages employees to continue to professionalise;
This is a versatile position in which you will be part of an enthusiastic team in an inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
- 232 holiday hours per year (based on 38 hours per week) & two extra days off between Christmas and new year;
- pension with ABP, to which the UvA contributes two-thirds;
- flexibility to combine work and private life, with the option of working from home and the possibility of setting up a workplace at home.
What else do we offer
- A function in which your own initiative and input are strongly valued;
- collaboration opportunities in an active and vibrant research lab;
- free and unlimited access to GoodHabitz's training offer.
- a dynamic working environment;
- a challenging role where you work independently with ambitious colleagues and students;
- a diverse team that can't wait to work with you;
- an international and intelligent working environment where you will be inspired by students and scientists.
About the Department
Education and research at UvA Economics and Business (EB) cover a wide range of fields that includes economics, data science, business administration, business analytics, accountancy, control, econometrics, finance and entrepreneurship. This is organised in 2 Schools: the Amsterdam Business School (ABS) and the Amsterdam School of Economics (ASE) . Over 7,000 students are enrolled in our UvA Economics and Business programmes and around 500 employees provide education and support.
Our school is triple-crown accredited. A Financial Times ranking places Amsterdam Business School (ABS) at number 7 among European business schools in terms of research output focusing on the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Amsterdam Business School is also the only Dutch institution to be listed in the top 10.
To work at the University of Amsterdam is to work in a discerning, independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterized by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society.
Find more information about Economics and Business on uva.nl/eb .
Find more information about the Amsterdam Business School on abs.uva.nl .
Find more information about the Amsterdam School of Economics on ase.uva.nl .
To know more about working at the University of Amsterdam, please check this link and uva.nl/working-at-eb
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
T: +31 657801967
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 31 August 2023. You may apply online by using the link below.
Applications in one pdf should include:
- A curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation;
- any other required information.
We will invite potential candidates for interviews within 4 weeks after the closing date.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
No agencies please.
Clinical Teaching Fellow Amsterdam Law Clinics, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Do you like: a diverse job in an academic setting in which you will have impact on students with an innovative education programme; working closely with students and NGOs aiming at defending funda...
Assistant Professor/Associate Professor Of Applied Materials Physics, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 16 days ago
16 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Amsterdam (UvA) Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands App...
Assistant Professor / Lecturer In Sustainability Management / Responsible Leadership, NORTHUMBRIA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, about 15 hours ago
Are you an experienced Assistant Professor/Lecturer in Sustainability Management / Responsible Leadership looking for a role that provides you with the opportunity to use your research to inform t...
Assistant Professor / Lecturer In Sustainability Management / Responsible Leadership, NORTHUMBRIA UNIVERSITY, Netherlands, about 11 hours ago
4 Oct 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NORTHUMBRIA UNIVERSITY Research Field Management sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Netherla...
International Officer, Staff Support, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 17 days ago
Do you have experience with supporting internationals coming to the Netherlands, and would you like to work in a multidisciplinary team of professionals in an international academic environment? D...
Research Technician In Microbial/Molecular Ecology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
The Systems Ecology section at the Amsterdam Institute for Life and Environment (A-LIFE) at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is accepting applications for a tenured full-time research technician posit...