Are you a promising researcher the field of theoretical chemistry, with a focus on the development of efficient and accurate methods to model the interaction of light and matter in complex systems, and do you want to cooperate and contribute to shaping the future of Theoretical Chemistry and its applications to societal challenges? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
FTE: 0.8 - 1
Are you passionate about theoretical chemistry? We are looking for a colleague to join our inspiring team at the Theoretical Chemistry (TC) division. Focus will be on the development of methods and implementations to model the interaction between light and molecular systems. The position furthermore entails teaching programming related subjects for students of the bachelor programs Scheikunde and Farmaceutische Wetenschappen, as well as teaching theoretical and computational chemistry at the master level. Participation in various European training networks and other public/private partnerships will be part of the job.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply for this position. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, we give preference to female candidates.
- This career track position starts at the level of assistant professor. The distribution of research, education and management is 40%:40%:20%. Your main duties are the following:
- you develop new theory for the description of electron correlation in (electronically) excited systems.
- you develop and implement theoretical chemistry algorithms in professional quantum chemistry software packages;
- you acquire external funding for research projects to build your own group;
- you coordinate and teach relevant courses offered by the department;
- you design and supervise BSc and MSc student projects;
- you supervise PhD students, junior researchers and postdoc researchers;
- you participate in the organization as a member of a committee in the department or faculty, like in the examination committee or in a program committee;
- you strive for international visibility and recognition in your field. You make impact through citations and lectures at (international) conferences and institutes
- you collaborate with European and industrial partners in research networks.
- You have a background in chemistry or physics, preferably theoretical chemistry
- You have completed a Ph. D. thesis in the field of correlation methods for molecular systems
- You have excellent research experience (proven by publications and lectures at conferences) in the field of computational spectroscopy combined with expertise in treating electron correlation effects in an efficient manner. Experience with embedding techniques to describe complex chemical systems is an advantage.
- You can initiate and build your own line of research
- You can work in interdisciplinary teams consisting of theoretical chemists, computational chemists, spectroscopists and materials scientists
- You have, or are willing to obtain at your earliest convenience, a basic qualification education certificate (BKO)
- You have strong communication skills (oral and written)
- You have experience in teaching in the field of theoretical chemistry and programming.
- You have experience in working in public/private partnerships.
What are we offering?
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On fulltime basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 3.974,- and a maximum of € 5.439,- in accordance with salary scale 11, depending on your education and experience. The job profile (Universitair docent 2) is based on the university job ranking system (UFO) and is vacant for 0.8 – 1.0 FTE.
We offer a tenure track position at the level of Assistant Professor. The initial appointment will be for a period of 18 months. 15 months after the starting date, performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record and the quality of grant proposals. After a successful evaluation permanent employment will be granted and further career plans to grow from Assistant Professor (scale 11) to Assistant Professor (scale 12) will be made and formalized in a career track agreement
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment, 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus, solid pension scheme (ABP), possibility to save holiday hours, for sabbatical leave, child daycare facilities available on campus
About Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 30,000 students. We employ over 5,500 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to more than 11,000 students.
About the department, institute, project
You will be part of the Theoretical Chemistry (TC) division of the Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences (CPS) department. TC offers a dynamic and international environment, with research spanning from the development of new methods for computational chemistry, via the development of physical models for understanding and predicting molecular processes, to applications to interesting chemical and biological problems. This position is at the heart of the TC division (the subgroupQuantum Theoretical Chemistry), where research efforts focus at the development and implementation of new theoretical chemistry methods. The line manager will be Prof. dr. L.Visscher.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter untilAugust 26, 2022
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. L. Visscher
Position: Professor in Quantum Theoretical Chemistry and Multiscale Modeling
Telephone: (+31) 20 59 89250
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037
Assistant/Associate Professor In Natural Hazards, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 26 days ago
Assistant/Associate Professor in Natural Hazards Assistant/Associate Professor in Natural Hazards Published Deadline Location yesterday 30 Sep Amsterdam Are you an experienced researcher in the fi...
Assistant/Associate Professor In Past Climate Change, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 26 days ago
Assistant/Associate Professor in Past Climate Change Assistant/Associate Professor in Past Climate Change Published Deadline Location yesterday 30 Sep Amsterdam Are you an experienced researcher i...
Vacancy Title Assistant/Associate Professor In Geologic Carbon Cycle Processes, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 26 days ago
Vacancy titleAssistant/associate professor in geologic carbon cycle processes Vacancy titleAssistant/associate professor in geologic carbon cycle processes Published Deadline Location yesterday 30...
Assistant Professor Logic In Artificial Intelligence, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 27 days ago
Assistant professor logic in artificial intelligence Assistant professor logic in artificial intelligence Published Deadline Location yesterday 2 Sep Amsterdam The Knowledge in Artificial Intellig...
Assistant/Associate Professor In Contemporary Carbon Cycle Processes, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 25 days ago
Assistant/associate professor in contemporary carbon cycle processes Assistant/associate professor in contemporary carbon cycle processes Published Deadline Location today 30 Sep Amsterdam The Fac...
Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) In Trait Based Modelling Of Biodiversity, Biogeographical Vegetation Dynamics And Ecosyst..., Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 12 days ago
Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in trait-based modelling of biodiversity, biogeographical vegetation dynamics and ecosyst... Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in trait-based modelling of biodi...