- Employment: 0.6 - 1.0 FTE
- Maximum gross monthly salary: € 5,826
- Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies
- Required background: PhD
- Application deadline: 31 May 2021
We are looking for
To strengthen our teaching and research in the fields of Philosophy of Language, Philosophy of Mind and Philosophy of Science, we are looking for two or three new colleagues. Specifically, we seek colleagues who will teach courses on logic and argumentation (introductory), and courses on philosophy of language, philosophy of mind and philosophy of science (from B1 to Research Master's level, and in the Philosophy, Politics and Society track). You will be expected to be able to develop new courses and materials, if required. In addition, you will be involved in the supervision of Bachelor's and Master's students.
You will conduct research in one or more of the three fields, or at the crossroads between them. Potential research topics include semantics, pragmatics, communication, social cognition, free will, personal identity, consciousness, cultural evolution and evidence. You will submit the results for publication in academic outlets, and disseminate the research findings at conferences and workshops. You will also be requested to write grant applications.
Your research will be part of the Center for Cognition, Culture and Language, one of the research centres of the Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies. You will participate in its biweekly lunch seminars and other activities. In addition, you will participate in management tasks, including committee memberships, programme evaluations, search committees, and recruitment activities.
We have vacancies for three 0.6 FTE Assistant Professorships. However, depending on your employability, we may combine these into two larger jobs. We therefore ask you to specify in your application what courses you would be able to teach, and encourage you to express your preferences for the scope of your appointment.
- A completed PhD in philosophy or a related discipline (e.g. linguistics, psychology).
- An excellent track record in the philosophy of language, mind or science, as evidenced by your publications and preferably also by grants or fellowships.
- Experience of various forms of teaching (such as lecturing, workgroup supervision, and thesis supervision at the Bachelor's and Master's levels).
- A strong international research profile is a plus.
- Proficiency in Dutch (C2 level) and English (C1 level) or willingness to achieve these levels within two years (obtaining these levels and being able to teach in both languages within two years is one of the criteria for tenure; being able to teach in both languages from the start of your contract is a plus).
- You are preferably in possession of the University Teaching Qualification (BKO) or are willing to obtain such a qualification within two years.
- You are committed to open science and scientific integrity.
In the Philosophy of Mind and Language group, research is focussed on fundamental and applied questions at the intersection of cognition, culture and language. The group's profile is strongly interdisciplinary. It combines state-of-the-art philosophical theorising with recent scientific findings in psychology, linguistics, artificial intelligence and cognitive neuroscience. We offer courses to students in Philosophy, Linguistics, Sociology, Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience.
The Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religion Sciences is a compact, ambitious division consisting of around 160 employees and almost 900 national and international students. Our education program contains several great courses and offers disciplinary as well as interdisciplinary and interfaculty fields of study. The faculty has an innovative education and research program which is strongly related to current societal issues.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 22,000 students and 5,000 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment: 0.6 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €3,746 and a maximum of €5,826 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 11 or 12).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: depending on your CV, we offer a tenure-track position of 2 to 4 years, which, after positive evaluation, may be made permanent.
- The intended start date is 1 September 2021.
- The faculty has interesting staff and promotion policies and provides active career monitoring. Where possible, we take into account talent and ambitions, development and personal circumstances. If you would like to know more, please contact personnel advisor Ms W. (Willy) Groenen: email@example.com .
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Have a look at our excellent employment conditions . They include a good work-life balance (among other things because of the excellent leave arrangements), opportunities for development and a great pension scheme.
Would you like more information?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Corien Bary, Chair of the Philosophy of Mind and Language group, Professor Logical Semantics
Marc Slors, Professor Philosophy of Mind and Cognition
Please address your application to Corien Bary and submit it, using the application button, no later than 31 May 2021, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- Letter of motivation.
- CV including a publication list and contact details of two references.
- A list of courses you have taught.
- Evaluations of at least three courses recently taught by you, of which at least two introductory.
- A description of your research plans/direction for the next couple of years (max. one page).
- A representative publication (or a link to it).
The first round of interviews will take place on 16 June 2021. The second round of interviews will take place on 29 June 2021.
Our faculty is committed to equal opportunities for all. We stand for an inclusive community and believe that diversity contributes to the quality of teaching and research. We therefore particularly welcome employees from different backgrounds, whose perspectives and alternative ways of thinking may contribute to the diversity of our faculty.
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Operations Coordinator Unitec Pathways College, Unitech Institute of Technology, New Zealand, 23 days ago
Do you want to work in Secondary / Tertiary Student Transition Space? Full time, permanent position Provide key operational and strategic support Mt Albert Campus Unitec is a leading provider of v...
Associate Professor In Philosophy (Theoretical Philosophy), University of Bergen, Norway, 19 days ago
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowl...
Assistant Professor Of English Linguistics, Radboud University, Netherlands, 5 days ago
Are you an ambitious academic with broad teaching and research expertise and a focus on English language learning and teaching, who would like to join our English Linguistics group? Then you may b...
Three Teachers In Philosophy (0,5 1,0 Fte) (# Of Pos: 3), Tilburg University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Specifics position 1 Area of Competence (AoC): political and social philosophy, and ethics. The successful candidate will teach courses in political and social philosophy, ethics and/or philosophi...
Senior Communications & Marketing Advisor, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 17 hours ago
We are looking for a senior communications and marketing specialist with a general background in (online) communications, preferably in an academic environment. You have plenty of experience in lo...
Solutions Architect, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, 13 days ago
The Role We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Solution Architect to join the Digital Architecture team in ICT in a permanent capacity. If you have a keen analytical eye, broad techni...