The Chair group Modern History is looking for a historian with an excellent track record in modern Asian history (1780-1945), specifically on the interplay between cultural praxis and (new forms of) political power in East and Southeast Asia. You will make an active contribution to the teaching of the Chair group Modern History within the BA and MA programmes in History, the Research MA programmes and other programmes in which the Chair group takes part. You will develop new specializations within the history programme and across programmes and participate in administrative and organizational activities. We expect you to develop a promising research line, present research results at national and international panels, workshops or conferences and write applications to capture national or international grants.
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has established an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative university offering high quality teaching and research. Its 37,000 students are encouraged to develop their individual talents through challenging study and career paths. The University of Groningen is an international centre of knowledge: it belongs to the best research universities in Europe, and is allied with prestigious partner universities and networks worldwide. For additional information, see this link: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/informatie-nieuwe-medewerkers/ The University of Groningen has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusion throughout the University community and welcomes candidates who enhance that diversity.
Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts is building on a tradition in research and education of four centuries. Its mission is to be an ambitious top-ranking faculty in terms of both education and high-quality research, with a strong international orientation, firmly rooted in the North of the Netherlands. The faculty creates knowledge through outstanding education and high-quality research, and shares its benefits with society.
History is a large and dynamic department with a strong regional anchor and an international outlook. It accommodates and facilitates international state-of-the-art research in several major historiographical and interdisciplinary fields. We introduce our students to the diversity and complexity of human experience in the past and in present societies around the globe through the study of civilizations, regions, nations, communities, and individuals across all historical periods. We organize our teaching and research around a variety of thematic, geographical and theoretical approaches including, among others, network theories, connected history, reading history, medical humanities, material culture studies, history of emotions, postcolonial perspectives, and digital humanities.
The research of the Chair group Modern History is characterized by bringing together history, theory and practice with a focus on the profound changes in politics, culture, science, economics and, therefore, in society at large in the modern era (ca 1780-1945). In our teaching and in our research, we explore the full breadth of modern history, from specific points of view to thematic approaches, using a broad range of sources and methodologies. The history of East and Southeast Asia is a main point of interest, with a focal point in European-Asian relations.
We are looking for a historian who works at the cutting edge of politics, culture and society.
- you have a PhD in History, with a specialization in modern East and Southeast Asian history
- you have at least one year of postdoctoral experience in a teaching and/or research position
- you have an excellent publication record for the stage of your career, including at least one monograph (under review) and peer reviewed articles
- you have a demonstrable capacity and willingness to operate beyond narrow disciplinary boundaries within and beyond the field of History, in teaching and in research
- you bring a strong cooperative attitude and willingness to engage in collaborative research and teaching duties
- you have teaching experience and relevant teaching qualifications (such as BKO-Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs, University Teaching Qualification), or willingness to obtain one in the first two years of your appointment
- you have a capacity and willingness to undertake organizational duties
- you bring enthusiasm for communicating academic research to non-academic audiences
- your international experience and outlook will be considered an advantage
- you have the ability to communicate and teach in English (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking)
- you have knowledge of Dutch or willingness to learn it within a reasonable period of time (within two years) may be one of the conditions for tenure (CEFR B2 for reading and listening, and CEFR B1 for writing and speaking).
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement Dutch Universities:
- an appointment for 0,8 FTE and a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 4,332 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 6,737 (salary scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position
- the gross salary is excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favorable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
- we offer 232 holiday hours per calendar year for full-time employment.
The appointment will ideally commence 1 September 2024, and will be on a temporary basis for 18 months with an outlook to a permanent position when you meet the criteria.
The Faculty is considering only those applicants who are ready to move to Groningen and live in the near environment of Groningen within a period of two years.
We comply with the conditions of employment of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
Professor In Socioeconomic History Of The Modern And Contemporary Period (Bof) (26734), Ghent University, Belgium, 28 days ago
30 Jan 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Ghent University Research Field History » Economic history History » Modern history Sociology » Socio-economic research Researcher Profile Establis...
Assistant Professor Organizational Psychology (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 14 days ago
13 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands ...
Funding Officer (1.0 Fte), AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 14 days ago
As Funding Officer, you advise staff of the Faculty of Arts in exploring various national and international grant opportunities and nominations. You support them in preparing grant applications an...
Assistant Or Associate Professor On Astronomical Data Science (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 14 days ago
13 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applicati...
Junior Lecturer In Innovation Management & Strategy (2.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 12 days ago
15 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Economics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applica...
Assistant Or Associate Professor On Astronomical Data Science , ; Technical University of Denmark, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
Job description The Kapteyn Astronomical Institute invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor, with a focus on enhancing our capabilities in the developmen...