Leiden University College (LUC) The Hague, part of theFaculty of Governance and Global Affairsis looking for an
Assistant Professor (UD) in the field of Ecosystems and Sustainability
LUC seeks to appoint an Assistant Professor to join the staff for teaching and research in the Earth, Energy, and Sustainability major as well as contribute to other majors within our international Liberal Arts & Sciences Honours Bachelor programme centered around ‘Global Challenges.’ Starting date: July 2023.
The Assistant Professor should show clear affinity with the ‘Global Challenges’ focus of LUC’s programme. The Assistant Professor will be responsible for teaching bachelor (undergraduate) students and conducting research in environmental biology and/or landscape ecology that is societally relevant to current global challenges and to achieving related targets of the Sustainable Development Goals. We are especially interested in candidates with a broad foundational background in biology, ecology, or environmental science with expertise in one or more of the following areas: mathematical ecology, urban ecology, biodiversity, marine biology, conservation biology, biogeography, landscape ecology, ecosystem services, environmental change, and/or nature-based solutions.
The core expertise of the ideal candidate will have clear linkages with coupled nature-society systems and/or environmental change. We have a strong preference for a field-oriented scholar, with the ability to develop hands-on courses based around field research and laboratory techniques. Solid teaching experience in applied mathematical ecology, statistics and quantitative research design are required. Additional experience in GIS and remote sensing is a plus.
In addition to teaching and research within your field of expertise, interest in engaging in interdisciplinary scholarship related to environmental and sustainability sciences, as well as more broadly across the college, is a distinct advantage. The position will also involve instruction in, or coordination of parts of, LUC’s first-year program (for example, in the interdisciplinary course ‘Global Challenge: Sustainability’, Mathematical Modeling, Statistics, and/or quantitative methodology courses). Contribution to the Global Citizenship programme, which engages with local stakeholders, is also an option.
LUC is a small-scale and student-centered excellence college and hence strong teaching experience is essential. Further, the ideal candidate will have an active research agenda that illustrates independent scholarship demonstrated in peer reviewed publications. The ideal candidate will actively contribute to a dynamic college culture of bachelor student research. Concretely this includes integrating students in active research projects, integrating research into all levels of the curriculum, and advising students on Capstone research projects (senior honours theses).
LUC is fully part of Leiden University and LUC staff is able to take full advantage of being part of this while also contributing actively to the energetic and stimulating atmosphere of our college community in The Hague. The location of Leiden University within the dynamic Randstad knowledge corridor provides opportunities for collaboration with expertise at several leading European universities, government agencies, and non-governmental organizations. LUC also values close connections with societal and governance partners and stakeholders, in particular in the city of The Hague, but also outside of the city.
- Teach undergraduate students in an international and interdisciplinary programme at both introductory and advanced levels;
- Supervise bachelor research theses (Capstone);
- Have an interest in linking with national, international, and non-governmental organizations within their respective field;
- Carry out research, publish, and work towards obtaining external research grants with an interest in involving bachelor students;
- Participate in and contribute to LUC’s service tasks such as recruitment and admissions, academic advice and/or membership of various councils or boards;
- Participate in and contribute to the social and academic activities of LUC;
- Connect to other institutes within Leiden University as relevant to the BSc Earth, Energy and Sustainability major.
- A PhD degree in Biology, Ecology, Forestry, Marine Sciences, Biogeography, Landscape Ecology, or Environmental Sciences relevant to the theme of current global challenges;
- Demonstrated affinity with Liberal Arts & Sciences honors education at the university level;
- Experience collaborating with colleagues skilled in other disciplines, within and beyond the natural sciences;
- An ability and interest in teaching across subjects, such as first year mathematics and/or statistics as well as general sustainability courses;
- A clear interest in innovative teaching methods and approaches, including student-oriented field excursions, experience teaching in an international setting, outstanding teaching skills (evidenced by formal evaluations), and a genuine interest in providing academic guidance to bachelor’s students;
- Very good research skills (evidenced by publications), an affinity for interdisciplinary work and a willingness to pursue external competitive grants;
- Excellent social skills and ability to work constructively in an international/intercultural team; committed to contribute to an inclusive working and learning environment, through research, teaching and/or service.
- Excellent command of English and willingness to learn the Dutch language (if not yet mastered).
The Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs offers academic education in the field of Public Administration, Safety and Security, and International Relations, as well as in-depth post-academic programmes for professionals. In addition, the Faculty is also home to Leiden University College. For more information, seeGovernance and Global Affairs.
Leiden University College The Hague (LUC The Hague) was founded in 2010 as the international honours college of Leiden University in The Netherlands for a select group of excellent and highly motivated students from around the world. The LUC academic staff consists of highly ambitious and international scholars recruited from top institutes across the globe, who combine excellent teaching skills with conducting innovative multidisciplinary research. LUC has been consistently ranked as a ‘Top Rated Programme’ seal from the Dutch University Guide (Keuzegids Universiteiten).
The successful candidate will be part of an ambitious and dynamic team. Initially, the successful candidate will be appointed for one year. Depending upon funding and performance, the position can be extended to a permanent position. The salary will be in the usual range for an Assistant Professor; the level depends on previous experience, and normally ranges between € 3,974.- and € 5,439.- (scale 11 according to the terms of the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities), gross per month on the basis of a full-time appointment.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions.For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme.Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.For more information , see the website.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not alreadypossess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Achim Häger (email@example.com ) or Paul Hudson (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Please submit your application online no later than 28 March, 2023 via the blue button in our application system. Applicants should submit the following documents online:
University Lectureship In Korean Studies (1,0 Fte), AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 13 days ago
University Lectureship in Korean Studies (1,0 fte) University Lectureship in Korean Studies (1,0 fte) Published Deadline Location today 11 Jun Leiden Faculty of Humanities, Leiden Institute for Ar...
Tutor For The Bachelor Security Studies, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 13 days ago
Tutor for the Bachelor Security Studies Tutor for the Bachelor Security Studies Published Deadline Location today 30 May Leiden The Institute of Security and Global Affairs (ISGA) of the Faculty o...
Assistant Professor Second Language Acquisition (0,8 1,0 Fte) Starting September 2023, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 27 days ago
Assistant Professor Second Language Acquisition (0,8-1,0 FTE) starting September 2023 Assistant Professor Second Language Acquisition (0,8-1,0 FTE) starting September 2023 Published Deadline Locat...
Teaching Positions International Studies (3 To 4 Fte), AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 21 days ago
Teaching positions International Studies (3 to 4 fte) Teaching positions International Studies (3 to 4 fte) Published Deadline Location today 15 May Den Haag Teaching positions International Studi...
University Lectureship In Korean Studies (1,0 Fte) , ;, Netherlands, 10 days ago
Faculty of Humanities, Leiden Institute for Area Studies is looking for a: University Lectureship in Korean Studies (1,0 FTE) Leiden University invites applications for a University Lecturer in In...
Assistant Professor Second Language Acquisition (0,8 1,0 Fte) , ;, Netherlands, 20 days ago
The Faculty of Humanities, is looking for an Assistant Professor Second Language Acquisition (0,8-1,0 FTE) starting September 2023 0,8 – 1,0 (fte) Key responsibilities Teaching and developing BA a...