The Department of World Archaeology of the Faculty of Archaeology is looking for an
Assistant Professor (‘UD’) in Classical Archaeology and Art
Vacancy number: 14063
We seek an enthusiastic, amicable and ambitious Assistant Professor (0.5 fte) to replace the Byvanck fellow in Classical Archaeology for the year 2024.
- Teaching a course on ‘The archaeology of the Greek Mediterranean’ in the MA program of the Faculty of Archaeology;
- Co-teaching a course on ‘Materiële cultuur van de klassieke wereld’ in the BA program of Classics at the Faculty of Humanities (together with a colleague of that Faculty);
- Coordinating the yearly excursion of the BA students in Classics;
- Supervision of thesis on Classical Art & Archaeology;
- Bridging the various groups working on Greco-Roman Antiquity at Leiden University and helping students to do so;
- Doing research on Classical Art & Archaeology
- A PhD in the domain of Classical Art & Archaeology;
- Post-doc level;
- Experience with giving lectures and lecturing;
- A network within Leiden and the Netherlands (OIKOS);
- A profile that combines Classics, Archaeology and Art History;
- Fluency in English and Dutch
The future of the past begins at Leiden University. The Faculty of Archaeology is internationally leading for its research, home to a broad array of specializations and notable for its strong connection between teaching and research. Home to over 500 students in the multidisciplinary world of Archaeology, the Faculty, and its researchers from all areas of the archaeological field, determine the future of archaeological research. More information about our university and our faculty can be found at: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/archaeology. More information about Classics at Leiden University can be found at: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities/centre-for-the-arts-in-society/classics-classical-civilization-studies
This is a fixed-term position for the period of a year. (01.01.2024-31.12.2024)
Candidates will be appointed in accordance with the Collective Agreement of Dutch Universities;
The salary will be dependent on previous qualifications and experience, and ranges between € 3974.- to € 5439.- gross per month on a full-time basis (pay-scale 11);
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions .
Leiden University attaches great importance to diversity and therefore welcomes applications from people who are currently under-represented at Leiden.
Applications are particularly welcome from minority ethnic candidates.
For more information about the content of this vacancy, please contact Prof. Dr. Miguel John Versluys at email@example.com . More information about Leiden University can be found at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en .
You can apply via the 'Apply' button. The deadline for applications is 15 October 2023. Applications can be addressed toProf. Dr. Miguel John Versluys
Please attach the following additional documents as one PDF file, stating the job number above:
- A cover letter containing your motivation to apply for this position;
- A CV and list of publications;
- An overview of your lecturing or teaching experience;
- A summary of your research profile and plans;
- The names and contact addresses of two academic referees, at least one of whom may not be the thesis supervisor or your current employer. Letters of recommendation are not necessary at this stage.
Interviews will be scheduled for October. We kindly request candidates to be available during this period.
Promovendus, Leiden University, Netherlands, 18 days ago
14 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Leiden University Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 14 Jan 20...
Assistant Professor At Department Of Archaeology And Museology, Faculty Of Arts Masaryk University, Masaryk University - Faculty of Arts, Czech, 3 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Masaryk University - Faculty of Arts Research Field History » Archaeology Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Czech Republic App...
Assistant Professor Of Archaeobotany (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 1 month ago
2 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Language sciences Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands ...
Senior Assistant In The Scientific Field Of Humanities, Institute of Archaeology, Croatia, 3 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Institute of Archaeology Department Zagreb Research Field History » Archaeology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Croatia Appli...
Associate Professor In New Testament Exegesis , Umeå University, Sweden, about 12 hours ago
The Department of Historical, Philosophical and Religious Studies belongs to Umeå University's Faculty of Arts and Humanities and has about 110 employees. The department gathers researchers, teach...
University Assistant Predoctoral, Universität Wien, Austria, 16 days ago
16 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Universität Wien Research Field Philosophy » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Austria Application Deadline 4 Dec 2023 -...