The Department of Industrial Engineering and Innovation Sciences has a vacancy for a Assistant Professor (1 fte) in Sustainable Operations Management. This vacancy is part of the Irène Curie Fellowship, and is only open for female candidates in the first six months of recruitment.
Department of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences
Operations Planning, Accounting & Control group
The open position is at the Operations Planning, Accounting & Control group.
OPAC currently consists of 4 full professors, 4 associate professors, 15 assistant professors, 8 postdoctoral fellows, and 20 PhD students. The faculty teaches and conducts research in the area of operations planning and control in manufacturing, services, logistics and supply chains. Research is generally quantitative in nature, while many of the researchers also engage in empirical research.
The OPAC group is responsible within the university for all teaching in the areas of operations management, transportation, manufacturing operations, reliability and maintenance, and accounting and finance, both at undergraduate and graduate level.
The OPAC group has an extensive industrial network, which gives direct access to challenging operations management problems, new technologies, and empirical data. This network is furthermore leveraged to acquire PhD funding and personal grants that enable to scale up research efforts.
Description of the position
The process of making a supply chain “truly sustainable” can never have a well-defined endpoint. Instead, a more sustainable supply chain is one that is better at identifying current and future environmental and social impacts, and finding ways to mitigate those. For a firm to thrive, it is increasingly imperative that it be aware of economic, environmental and social dimensions of the entire supply chain it belongs to, and that it proactively manages those. Furthermore, as firms become progressively more tightly coupled in global supply chains, risks and opportunities associated with activities upstream or downstream will increasingly impinge upon their own wellbeing. The widespread concern over global warming puts pressure on companies to reduce carbon emissions and become green. The external pressure on the companies is basically three-fold: customers, regulations, and environmental groups. It is imminent that the global pressure will keep increasing and that sustainability will, and should, increasingly drive supply chain management decisions. While sustainability is generally seen as a costly effort, evidence shows that those companies who focus on sustainability generally perform better in the stock market than the industry average. Although the scientific understanding of many aspects of sustainability is advancing faster than ever before, there is a big gap in research that addresses the operational aspects of supply chain management integrating the economic, environmental and social dimensions. The tenure track assistant professor that is appointed is expected to take steps towards filling this gap.
For this position, we are open to any relevant research area in the general line of Sustainable Operations Management that is rigorous and relevant to industry, such as -but not limited to-:
- Supply chain collaboration for sustainability
- Carbon footprinting and allocation in supply chains
- Sustainable sourcing
- Social responsibility in supply chains
- Closed loop supply chains and circular economy
- Behavioral aspects in sustainable operations management
- Supply chain (re)design for sustainability
- Sustainable agri-food and bio-based supply chains
- Capacity, production, inventory, and transport optimization, taking environmental effects into consideration
- Water footprinting and use in supply chains
- Regulatory policies for sustainability and their business implications
We strongly encourage women to apply for this position as TU/e aims for gender-balance.
The selected assistant professor performs active research on Operations Management, collaborates with current faculty and postdocs, takes part in and acquire funded research projects, and publishes on his/her research in academic journals.
The selected assistant professor teaches 2-3 courses per year in the undergraduate, master, and/or PhD programs, and supervises BSc and MSc students on their thesis work.
- Participate in, development of, and acquisition of funding for research projects.
- Supervise PhD, MSc and BSc students in their projects.
- Conduct autonomous teaching at the BSc and MSc levels.
- Participate in teaching at the PhD level.
- Possibly contribute to the management of the OPAC group.
- PhD in Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics or a comparable domain.
- Demonstrable ability to conduct academic research of high quality on relevant problems, demonstrated for instance by a relevant PhD thesis and/or publications.
- Demonstrable ability to teach, shown for instance by experience or assistance in teaching and positive evaluations of these teaching efforts.
- Excellent mastering of the English language, good communication and leadership skills. Note that there is not a Dutch language requirement.
Conditions of employment
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department;
- A Tenure Track of 5 years with the prospect of becoming associate professor. After a maximum of 4 years the tenure decision will be made. If you have a more senior profile, you will receive a tailor-made career proposal;
- As an Irène Curie Fellow, you are entitled to a substantial start-up package to kick-off your career;
- A gross monthly salary between € 3.637 and € 4.978, based on a full-time appointment and depending on experience and knowledge. The salary is in accordance with scale 11 of the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities (cao NU);
- In order to empower you, we provide support such as training programs for academic leadership and the university teaching qualification and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment;
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes);
- Family friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
More information about the OPAC group can be found at the OPAC website . More information about this position should be addressed to: Dr. Tarkan Tan, phone +31 40 2473950, e-mail: t.tan[at]tue.nl .
Information about terms of employment can be obtained from Ms. S.G.J. Opgenoorth , HR Advisor (pz.ieis[at]tue.nl ). Further information about Eindhoven University of Technology can be found at www.tue.nl .
Under European jurisdiction it is lawful to specifically recruit underrepresented groups. If no female candidate is found in the first six months of recruitment, this vacancy will be re-opened as a generic vacancy.
If you are interested, we invite you to apply as soon as possible. Selection will begin immediately and continue until the positions have been filled.
Your application must contain the following documents (all in English):
- Cover letter (2 page max.), where you motivate your interest in this vacancy and explicitly explain in which ways you represent a good match;
- An extensive curriculum vitae including a publication list and teaching evaluations (if any);
- A teaching statement;
- A research statement;
- Copies of relevant (working) papers
- Name and contact information of two references
- If your degree is not from an English-spoken program, a proof of proficiency in English needs to be included in your package (such as IELTS or TOEFL).
Note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
To apply please use the “apply now” button. Please note that a maximum of 5 documents of 2 Mb each can be uploaded, so if you have more than 5 documents you will have to combine them. Please do not send us applications by e-mail.
Dream (Data Recording Entry Alternative Multi Script), Dipartimento Istituto Italiano di Studi Orientali ISO, Italy, 6 days ago
Development of an automated system for the retrieval from catalogs and databases, deduplication and deduping of the records related to the same resource, carried on unique identifiers, and indexin...
Innovation, Sustainability And Coordination In Food Supply Chain: The Case Study Of Fishery Chain, ALMA MATER STUDIORUM - UNIVERSITA' DI BOLOGNA - - DIPARTIMENTO DI SCIENZE E TECNOLOGIE AGRO-ALIMENTARI, Italy, 8 days ago
The study intends to trace, through specific surveys, the existing structural and organizational problems for the implementation of process integration and product differentiation paths and at the...
Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) In Logistics And Supply Chain Management At The Luxembourg..., University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 1 day ago
The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research University. The Faculty of Law, Economics, and Finance (FDEF) of the University of Luxembourg has an opening for an: Assistan...
Adjunct, Supply Chain Management, University of Houston - Downtown, United States, 1 day ago
Adjunct, Supply Chain Management - (ADJ000338) Adjunct: Supply Chain Management Department Name:D0014 Gen Bus, Market & Supp Chain Description The General Business, Marketing, and Supply Chain Man...
Performance And Cost Lead, ASML, Netherlands, 23 days ago
Do the right analysis for your region(s) to ensure field material availability delivered to the field warehouses with the right performance and... Introduction The Customer Supply Chain Management...
Assistant / Associate Professor And Bcrc Hays Chair In Beef Production Systems, University of Alberta, Canada, 1 day ago
The Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science at the University of Alberta invites applications for a full-time tenure-track appointment in Beef Production Systems. The position is ...