The Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL) is looking for an
Assistant Professor Sociolinguistics
Leiden University Centre for Linguistics is looking for an assistant professor to conduct research and teach undergraduate and graduate courses in sociolinguistics in Leiden and The Hague. The responsibilities are:
- Teaching and developing relevant courses for the BA programs International Studies, Urban Studies, the Leiden University College, and the Honours College;
- Supervising BA and MA theses;
- Conducting research in the field of sociolinguistics including regular dissemination of results through appropriate channels;
- Securing external funding for research;
- Contributing to organizational activities of the Institute.
We are looking for a promising scholar to join our team by bringing in expertise in the study of language in society. An interest in and ability to teach interdisciplinary courses on topics such as multilingualism and migration, political discourse, language and diversity, and language and identity is desirable.
- PhD in Linguistics, Communication Studies, Discourse Studies or other relevant field;
- In-depth knowledge of the most recent developments in sociolinguistics;
- In-depth knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods and techniques;
- Experience with research-driven teaching;
- Proven didactic qualities (teaching evaluations);
- A promising research agenda informed by national and international funding priorities;
- An excellent command of English. If the lecturer is not Dutch-speaking, s/he is expected to acquire a good command of Dutch (level B1) within two years of taking up duty.
The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields such as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics and area studies covering nearly every region of the world. With its staff of 995, the faculty provides 27 master’s and 25 bachelor’s programmes for over 7,000 students based at locations in Leiden and in The Hague. For more information, see the website of Humanities .
The Faculty has seven Institutes, among which the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL ). LUCL has a longstanding tradition in the study of the world’s languages and features unique linguistic expertise. Current theoretical insights are combined with modern experimental methods in its research profile area ‘Language Diversity in the World’.
Terms and conditions
We offer a 0.8 FTE temporary appointment of one year, with the possibility of an extension for another year. After two years this position may lead to a permanent appointment depending on good performance evaluations. Salary range from € 3,746.- to € 5,127.- gross per month on fulltime basis (pay scale 11), in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). Depending on qualifications and experience, you may start at the appropriate step in scale 10 until you fully meet the requirements for scale 11 as specified by the Faculty of Humanities, particularly with regard to the number of years of relevant work experience.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses(8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information , see the website.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
We firmly believe that diversity together with inclusion is the key driving force for creativity and innovative ideas. We strive to create a working environment where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
Enquiries can be made to Prof. Lisa Cheng, the Academic Director of the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please submit online your application no later than April 27, 2021 via the blue button in our application system. Your application should include:
- A CV including education and employment history, publications, and courses taught;
- A letter of motivation outlining a research agenda in the field of sociolinguistics and a teaching statement (max 2 pages);
- Two sample course descriptions;
- Names, positions, and email addresses of three referees (no reference letters at this point).
Interviews will be held in the last two weeks of May 2021 (17 - 28 May). A teaching and research presentation will be part of the procedure. You are kindly requested to be available in this period.
Lecturer In Linguistics And African Studies, Leiden University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
2 more days to apply The Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL) is looking for a Lecturer in Linguistics and African Studies Key responsibilities Leiden University ...
Assistant Professor With Expertise In Law As Well As The Social Sciences, Leiden University, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Apply today Leiden University College The Hague (LUC), part of Leiden University’s Faculty of Governance & Global Affairs, is currently looking for an Assistant Professor with expertise in law as ...
Assistant Professor Of Economics, Leiden University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
13 more days to apply The Department of Economics of Leiden Law School had a vacancy for an Assistant Professor of Economics Key responsibilities Teaching in the programme of the Department of Eco...
Cryo Electron Microscopy Scientist, Leiden University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
8 more days to apply The Netherlands Centre for Electron Nanoscopy (NeCEN) at Leiden University, is looking for a Cryo-electron microscopy scientist Key responsibilities NeCEN is looking for a hig...
Assistant Professor Of Economics, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
We offer a full-time position for 1.0 fte (38 hours per week). This concerns a position for two years, which may be converted into a permanent position. Salary range from € 52.294.- to € 81.330.- ...
Assistant Professor With Expertise In Law As Well As The Social Sciences, Universiteit Leiden, Netherlands, 12 days ago
The successful candidate will be part of an ambitious and dynamic team. The appointment is for one year with the possibility of a renewal and the intention to turn the position into a permanent on...