The Faculty of Spatial Sciences of the University of Groningen will appoint an Assistant Professor in the field of Regional & Urban Planning. As Assistant Professor you will contribute to teaching, research and management tasks at the Department of Planning and Environment. Your main teaching tasks will be in courses for the bachelor programmes of Spatial Planning & Design and of Human Geography & Planning, the master programmes of Society, Sustainability & Planning, and of Environmental & Infrastructure Planning, as well as in supervising master and/or bachelor theses. Because of the teaching tasks as well as research, knowledge or affinity with Dutch urban and/or regional planning is favourable, as well as is knowledge of the Dutch language. The position includes the allocation of dedicated research time.
To strengthen our team, we are looking for an assistant professor with an interest in regional and urban planning, and in transformation for sustainable development. Your research is focused on institutional analysis and -innovation, spatial governance, and planning methods. Preferably, you have specialised in one or more of the following topics: climate adaptation, water management, mobility, (transport) infrastructure, environmental impact assessment, community engagement, co-creation.
The Faculty of Spatial Sciences consists of over 110 members of staff, 120 PhD students, and 1100 undergraduate students. The Faculty offers a vibrant academic environment with an international staff and extensive experience in working within international research projects. We focus on high quality teaching and research in the fields of social and economic geography, demography, and spatial planning. With a Faculty slogan of ‘making places better together’ and an overarching research theme 'Towards Wellbeing, Innovation and Spatial Transformation' (tWIST), it is our mission to produce research which is world-leading, distinctive, and policy-relevant. With two bachelor and seven master programmes, we provide a wide range of courses within the wider field of spatial sciences.
The Faculty consists of four departments: Cultural Geography, Demography, Economic Geography, and Planning & Environment. As Assistant Professor you will be positioned within the department Planning and Environment. This Department is involved in the master programmes Society, Sustainability & Planning and Environmental & Infrastructure Planning, and both bachelor programmes of the Faculty entitled ‘Spatial Planning & Design’ and ‘Human Geography & Planning’. Research at the Department of Planning & Environment focuses on issues of institutional design for purposeful interventions within the human environment.
- a PhD in in the wider field of spatial planning, regional geography, urban geography, public administration, planning methods and spatial analysis, or another social science discipline with a proven understanding of spatial policies and planning
- an evident interest in the translation of planning issues into policy and planning, in regional analysis, and in governance and institutional frameworks of preferably the Netherlands (and other countries)
- good networking and collaboration skills for the development of an (inter)national network, collaboration with stakeholders, and the development of joint research and education projects
- publications in international peer-reviewed academic journals
- evidence of a research agenda consistent with Faculty research and a willingness to supervise PhD students
- possession of a University Teaching Qualification (or similar), or preparedness to acquire this qualification within a reasonable timeframe
- experience with various teaching approaches; awareness of and a willingness to apply the latest innovations in teaching
- an ability to develop and maintain university–industry/practice networks in the fields listed above, including a willingness to participate in external projects, events and presentations
- a willingness to participate in appropriate Faculty committees and/or other management tasks
- preferred is a fluency both in English and in Dutch, or otherwise a willingness to learn Dutch (to at least CEFR B2 level within 2 years – for reading and listening).
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3,974 to a maximum of € 5,439 (scale 11) gross per month for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
- an 8.3% annual bonus
- minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment.
You will be appointed initially on a temporary basis for one year with an outlook to a permanent position when you meet the criteria.
The conditions are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU).
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
Preferred starting date: 1 May 2023.
Academic Assistant Ihs Bv: Department Of Urban Socio Spatial Development Opens External, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands, about 17 hours ago
Academic Assistant IHS BV: Department of Urban Socio-Spatial Development Academic Assistant IHS BV: Department of Urban Socio-Spatial Development Published Deadline Location 14 Mar 15 Apr Rotterda...
Professor Of Practice In Accountancy (0.2 0.3 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Professor of Practice in Accountancy (0.2-0.3 FTE) Professor of Practice in Accountancy (0.2-0.3 FTE) Published Deadline Location yesterday 11 May Groningen The board of the Fa Job description The...
Two Assistant Professors In Innovation Studies (0.8 1.0 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Two Assistant Professors in Innovation Studies (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) Functie The Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development is looking for two new colleagues in the field of innovation studies. The...
Appointment Of Chair In Innovation & Transition Studies (1.0 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Appointment of Chair in Innovation & Transition Studies (1.0 FTE) Functie The Faculty of Geosciences is seeking to appoint a new Chair in Innovation & Transition Studies. The chair will provide Ut...
Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor Posts In Geographic Information Science, NANJING UNIVERSITY OF INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
Four full-time Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor posts in Geographic Information Science/ Human Geography / Physical Geography Applications are invited for four full-time ...
Doctoral Candidate In Urban Greening And Health, Marie Skłodwska Curie Actions, Wageningen University and Research Center, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Your job Do you hold an Master’s degree in Human Geography or Environmental Psychology? Are you passionate about urban greening and health? Do you want to contribute to cutting edge research in th...