24 Nov 2023
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Leading Researcher (R4)
Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
11 Dec 2023 - 22:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Research that aims to contribute to such challenges should not only be interdisciplinary but also be conducted in close collaboration with a wide range of stakeholder groups; i.e. research should be transdisciplinary. The Athena Institute's research in the field of global health aims to contribute to good health and wellbeing for all (STD3) and focuses on a diversity of themes, ranging from universal health coverage to patient/client-oriented healthcare and from gender-sensitive care in violent settings to health resilience in times of climate change. Our research aims to describe, understand, evaluate, and shape the responsibilities, strategies, actions and collaborations with relevant stakeholder groups, such as patients, health professionals, civil society organizations, the pharmaceutical industry and policy makers, to achieve equal access to health and social care, both in high-income countries and in low- and middle-income countries. Areas of application include mental health, maternal and child health, health and digital inclusion, pandemic preparedness, health for the unhoused and undocumented, one health, and many more. Where the starting point of our research tends to be a concern about certain forms of marginalisation of underserved communities, the aim often is to contribute to transformations at a system level, hence connecting the concerns of specific communities to opportunities for institutionalisation and policy action.
The career track position at the level of assistant professor (research, education, management; 40:40:20%) is located at the Athena Institute.
Your research work will focus on one or more of the themes presented above. Research tasks include contributing to research acquisition, further conceptualising this area of research from multiple theoretical perspectives, co-designing and implementing innovations in collaboration with stakeholders from the quadruple/quintuple helix, and facilitating mutual learning and reflection sessions. You are expected to collaborate with different colleagues in projects across a range of research themes.
Teaching tasks are embedded in the wide variety of courses offered by the Athena Institute and include course coordination, workgroup coaching and lecturing as well as supervising Master students during their internships and literature reviews on diverse topics pertaining to the wider educational programme of the Athena Institute. In addition, you are expected to fulfil more overarching tasks with respect to curriculum development and quality control, particularly in relation to the bachelor and master specialization tracks on International Public Health, and the research master programme on Global Health.
With respect to management you will supervise several PhD students, junior researchers/lecturers, postdoc researchers and participate in coordination and management meetings of the Athena Institute (and beyond).
- A PhD degree, preferably in the field of global health, public health, medical anthropology, development studies, science, technology & medicine, or other related discipline(s);
- Experience in cross-cutting and multi-level approaches of global health;
- Proven experience with experimental methods for the transdisciplinary study of challenges in the field of global health;
- Experience with designing and facilitating multistakeholder group discussions and reflection sessions as part of change processes (e.g. reflexive monitoring in action, reflexive evaluations);
- Proven ability to be a strong collaborator within interdisciplinary teams (capable of listening, flexible, adaptive, pro-active);
- Good and relevant publication track-record, commensurate with the candidate’s career stage and complementing and extending the Athena Institute’s research portfolio;
- Experience with applying for research grants and externally funded projects in the field of global health;
- Excellent teaching skills and the ability to inspire students (demonstrated through a.o. positive student evaluations),
- A teaching qualification (in Dutch BKO), or the willingness to obtain one on short term;
- A broad (inter)national network relevant to the position;
- Excellent command of English is imperative, basic knowledge of Dutch is a plus.
A challenging career track position from Assistant Professor 2 to Assistant Professor 1 in a socially involved organization.
The initial contract will have a duration of 18 months. After a successful evaluation in your 15th month, permanent employment will be granted.
On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €4,332 (scale 11) and a maximum €5,929 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment,
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus,
- solid pension scheme (ABP),
- possibility to save holiday hours, for sabbatical leave,
- child daycare facilities available on campus
Are you interested in this position? Then apply via the application button until 11/12/2023.
Please include in the application a cover letter, curriculum vitae, writing sample (fifteen to thirty pages), brief teaching statement, and an item that gives us a sense of you as a teacher (e.g., syllabus, assignment, etc.), as well as the names and contact information for three references.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Informal enquiries about the post should be directed in the first instance to Prof.dr. Marjolein Zweekhorst via e-mail: [email protected]
All enquiries will be treated informally and confidentially and will not be considered in the selection decision. Formal criteria for appointment at the level of assistant professor are available upon request but minimally include having completed a PhD and having 10 international peer reviewed publications.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Postal Code
- De Boelelaan 1105
Where to apply
De Boelelaan 1105
- Postal Code
Student Assistent Video Production, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 23 hours ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam About VU Centre for Teaching & Learning 'Connecting through Education' is the driving force behind the VU-CTL, the centre of expertise for sharing knowledge, ideas and...
Research Data Officer, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam Research Office The Research Office of the Faculty of Social Sciences is the first point of contact for researchers and management for research-related issues such as ...
Communications Coordinator At The Amsterdam Sustainability Institute, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 17 days ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam About the Amsterdam Sustainability Institute The Amsterdam Sustainability Institute is VU Amsterdam's interdisciplinary research institute that focuses on sustainabili...
Laboratory Technician / Scientific Collaborator In Protein Biochemistry, VIB, Belgium, about 2 hours ago
The Structural and Molecular Microbiology research group, affiliated with the Vrije Universiteit Brussel and the Flemish Institute for Biotechnology (VIB), is seeking a motivated and detail-orient...
Educational Executive Tinbergen Institute 0,8 Fte Opens External, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands, about 17 hours ago
Educational Executive Tinbergen Institute 0,8 fte Educational Executive Tinbergen Institute 0,8 fte Published Deadline Location yesterday 17 Mar Rotterdam Are you someone who likes to work in smal...
Assistant Professor In Black, Indigenous And Critical Race Studies In Arts And Culture , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 4 days ago
In the context of the sector plan for the Humanities titled ‘Tradition in transition’, the Faculty of Humanities currently has a vacant Assistant Professor position as part of the sector research ...