- 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 3,974 - € 5,439
- Required background
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies
- Application deadline
- 12 March 2023
The Department of History of Philosophy of the Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies invites candidates for a new tenured position in the History of Modern Physics, which will both strengthen the teaching and research expertise of the Center for the History of Philosophy and Science (CHPS) and contribute to the new project on determinism, randomness and emergence in modern physics led by Spinoza laureate Klaas Landsman at the Faculty of Science.
You should be well versed in the history of science, especially in the context of modern theories of physics, such as quantum theory, general relativity, and/or statistical mechanics. You should be willing to contribute to both the general research programme of CHPS, which studies philosophy and science as historically intertwined fields, and to the specific themes of Professor Landsman's project.
You will be expected to teach courses at the Bachelor's and Master's levels, varying from Bachelor's courses in the History of Science and in Philosophy to Master's courses on topics related to your research, which should, however, also be accessible to philosophy students without a mathematical or physical background. You supervise students writing their Bachelor's or Master's theses.
The position will initially be at the Assistant Professor level, with a track towards Associate Professorship. Women are especially welcome to apply. The position will consist of 50% teaching, 45% research and 5% administration.
- You hold a PhD in the history of science or in a related discipline, with a research focus on the history of modern physics (notably on quantum theory, general relativity, and/or statistical mechanics).
- You are able to teach courses in the History of Science and in Philosophy, varying from bachelor courses to master courses, which should be accessible to philosophy students without a mathematical or physical background.
- You are an inspiring teacher, preferably with experience at both BA and MA level.
- You are proficient in Dutch (C2 level) and English (C1 level) or are willing to achieve these levels within two to three years. Obtaining these levels and being able to teach in both languages is a criterion for tenure.
- You have a strong publication record, appropriate to career stage.
- You have concrete plans for a future grant proposal (ERC or NWO).
- You are preferably in possession of a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or are willing to obtain it within two years.
- You enjoy working as part of a multidisciplinary research group.
The Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies houses over 160 staff and over 1,000 students from the Netherlands and abroad. Our educational programme includes several top-notch degree programmes and has both in-depth disciplinary fields of study and interdisciplinary and interfaculty study programmes. The faculty provides innovative teaching and research programmes with a strong focus on current social issues.
The Department of the History of Philosophy brings together historians of philosophy and historians of science in a single teaching and research unit. As far as teaching is concerned, the Department provides courses in the history of philosophy from Antiquity to the current age for the Faculty's Bachelor's, Master's, and Research Master's programmes. As far as research is concerned, the Center for the History of Philosophy and Science (CHPS) , investigates the evolution of natural philosophy from Antiquity to the 21st century. It pays particular attention to the period between 1250 and 1700, and to the consequences of the fragmentation of the Aristotelian worldview into the manifold of modern scientific disciplines. This fragmentation of natural philosophy into different sciences, which no longer share common ontological and epistemological premises, raises important questions for contemporary philosophers, which are also addressed by CHPS. The reception of ancient philosophy in modern and contemporary thought is also crucial in the Department's research. Research and teaching topics include the notions of place/space, time, matter, motion, chance and necessity, but also soul, mind and cognition. Within the global academic landscape, CHPS is unique in approaching the history of philosophy and the history of science as historically intertwined phenomena. For this reason, it has attracted staff, PhD candidates, and postdoctoral researchers from many countries, and functions as an international hub for scholars interested in the combination of the history of philosophy and the history of science. In addition to addressing academic peers, CHPS also reaches out to a wider audience to contribute to a better understanding of the historical trajectory that has led to today's science and technology-driven society.
Our faculty is committed to equal opportunities for all. We stand for an inclusive community and believe that diversity contributes to the quality of teaching and research. We therefore particularly welcome employees from different backgrounds, whose perspectives and alternative ways of thinking may contribute to the diversity of our faculty.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €3,974 and a maximum of €5,439 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 11 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 18 months, with the possibility of a permanent employment.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Prof. Carla Rita Palmerino, Full Professor at carlarita.palmerino [at] ru.nl. Alternatively, you can contact Prof. Klaas Landsman, Full Professor at klaas.landsman [at] ru.nl .
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 12 March 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Prof. Carla Rita Palmerino. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline 12 March 2023
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Prof. Palmerino, C.R. (Carla Rita)
carlarita.palmerino [at] ru.nl
Job application form
* Mandatory field
Are you an internal candidate at Radboud University?
When are you an internal candidate?
You are an internal candidate if you:
- Work at Radboud University (i.e. have an employment contract with Radboud University).
- Are a former Radboud University employee receiving unemployment (WW/BWNU) benefits paid by Radboud University (which started less than two years ago or resulted from the discontinuation of your job/redundancy).
- Currently work as a student employee at Radboud University through the campus employment office.
- Work as a temporary employee at, or have been seconded to, Radboud University.
One file only.
5 MB limit.
One file only.
6 MB limit.
One file only.
4 MB limit.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
Read our data processing policy .
Last modified: 14 February 2023
Share this page
Assistant Professor Of International, Political And/Or Social History, Radboud University, Netherlands, 8 days ago
Assistant Professor of International, Political and/or Social History Assistant Professor of International, Political and/or Social History Published Deadline Location 10 Mar 2 Apr Nijmegen Job de...
Videnskabelig Assistent Ved Forskningsgruppen For økologi Med Interesse For Ferskvand Og Administrativt Arbejde , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 1 day ago
For further information please contact xxxx. Application, salary etc. The successful applicant will be employed in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish ...
Staff Scientist In Ultrasound Engineering At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Focused ultrasound stimulation (FUS) is a new non-invasive deep brain stimulation technique that opens up new horizons in research and treatment. Radboud University has joined forces in the focuse...
Master Student (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 7 days ago
INM´s research group “Structure Formation” investigates how molecules, polymers and colloidal particles join to form materials. It studies fundamental processes of structure formation and applies ...
Assistant Professor Of Very Long Baseline Radio Interferometry, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
The Department of Astrophysics at Radboud University is part of the Institute for Mathematics, Astrophysics and Particle Physics (IMAPP). This vibrant and international department currently consis...
Research Officer, Radboud University, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Research Officer Research Officer Published Deadline Location today 14 Apr Nijmegen Job description Are you an experimentalist interested in research in high magnetic fields, and would you like to...