The Amsterdam Centre for Tax Law (ACTL) of the Amsterdam Law School , is currently looking for an Assistant Professor in the field of the Taxation of the Digitalized Economy with a special focus on Developing Countries. Special attention in the research will be on the development of a fair, equitable and future proof tax system in which particular attention is paid to the perspectives and interests of low and middle income countries.
What are you going to do
The Assistant Professor will conduct research as a member of the ACTL’s research project ‘Designing the tax system for a Cashless, Platform-based and Technology-driven society’ (CPT project ). The CPT research project aims to provide a thorough analysis of how tax systems could be designed and structured for a society primarily based on Cashless Payment Methods, Online Platforms and Digital Technologies, such as artificial intelligence (AI) and blockchain. This project is led by Professor Dennis Weber .
The person hired for this position will be primarily responsible for:
- conducting the research in the fields identified above and reporting about such research in academic publications;
- (co)developing and carrying out specific research projects in collaboration with academics associated both inside and outside the law faculty and with external partners;
- contributing pro-actively to the activities of the CPT Project;
- engaging with external stakeholders;
- transferring the insights/outputs from the research to the society, which includes:
- developing (tax law) education in the field of the taxation of the digital economy with special attention to developing countries;
- being responsible for the organization of conferences and/or seminars on the research subjects;
- supervising students writing their academic thesis/dissertations on the relevant research subjects at the UvA’s undergraduate, Masters and Advanced LLM in International Tax Law programs;
- supervising students in any internship with regard to the research project and subjects;
- promoting the visibility and impact of the research project and contribute to its societal impact;
- pursuing funding opportunities for research and valorization of the research project, which includes searching for available grants and preparing the required documentation for making the relevant applications.
What do we require
The ideal candidate for this position would be a person who:
- can show a track record or strong affinity with the research subject (i.e. the taxation of the digitalized economy) and with transfer pricing issues;
- has affinity with the taxation problems of developing countries and/or has worked in the tax field in or with developing countries;
- has a Ph.D in law or economics;
- has a strong academic publication record, evidenced by publications in international magazines;
- has a relevant network nationally and internationally;
- works well in teams and is a strong communicator;
- can show ability to build bridges between a variety of legal disciplines;
- has experience working in interdisciplinary environments, and working with societal actors;
- is proficient in English; preferably also in Dutch;
- ideally, has a track-record in successful grant applications (science foundation programmes and otherwise);
- has the basic qualification at Dutch universities in higher education (Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs; BKO) certificate, or a willingness to acquire such.
As an Assistant-Professor you will become part of a thriving international research community with excellent facilities and support for academic career development. Being a core member of the CPT project provides the Assistant-Professor with an opportunity to do cutting-edge research with real societal impact.
We offer a temporary employment contract for one year for 30,4 hours per week with the possibility of an extension into a permanent employment contract.
The gross full-time monthly salary will be in accordance with the salary scales for Assistant Professors at Dutch universities ranging from €3.746 to €5.826 gross per month (Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities , salary scale 11, full-time equivalent). Secondary benefits at Dutch universities are attractive and include 8% holiday pay and an 8.3% end-of-year Bonus.
The University of Amsterdam (UvA) is the Netherlands' largest university, offering the widest range of academic programmes. At the UvA, 30,000 students, 6,000 staff members and 3,000 PhD candidates study and work in a diverse range of fields, connected by a culture of curiosity. Curious about our organisation and attractive fringe benefits such as a generous holiday arrangement and development opportunities? Here you can read more about working at the UvA.
The Amsterdam Law School prides itself on its international orientation and strong social commitment. This is reflected by both its research and educational activities. The Amsterdam Law School offers three Bachelor’s programmes, including the interdisciplinary English-language Bachelor Politics, Psychology, Law and Economics (PPLE) in cooperation with two other Faculties, as well as a variety of Master's programmes, several of which are taught exclusively in English (i.e. International and European Law, European Private Law, International Criminal Law, and Law & Finance). The Amsterdam Law School prepares students for a wide variety of legal careers including law firms, government, business and industry, the national and international judiciary, public service, human rights advocacy, and academia. With 5000 students and over 500 staff members, it is one of the largest law faculties in the Netherlands.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Dhr. prof. dr. D.M. (Dennis) Weber , director of the Amsterdam Centre of Tax law (ACTL)
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
Applications in .pdf should include:
- a curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation;
- any other required information.
We will invite potential candidates for interviews within two weeks after the closing date.
No agencies please
Assistant Professor International Tax Law, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 7 days ago
Amsterdam Law School and the program management of the Advanced Master in International Tax Law are currently looking for an Assistant Professor in the field of international tax law. Special fo...
Assistant Professor International Tax Law, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
Amsterdam Law School – Amsterdam Centre for Tax Law About us The University of Amsterdam (UvA) is the Netherlands' largest university, offering the widest range of academic programmes. At the UvA...
Clinical Teaching Fellow Amsterdam Law Clinics, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
Are you looking for a challenging job in a dynamic setting? For the Amsterdam Law Clinics we are looking for a Clinical Teaching Fellow. At the Amsterdam Law School, students are offered an Experi...
Assistant Lecturer, Cracow University of Economics, Poland, 22 days ago
Candidates entering the competition should submit the following documents: 1) a personal application and CV, 2) a personal questionnaire for persons applying for employment, 3) a copy of diploma o...
The Department Of Private Law Of Maastricht University Is Looking For An Assistant Professor In Property Law / Universitair Docent Goederenrecht (0,8 1,0fte) (5 Years With Tenure Track To Permanent Position), Maastricht University, Netherlands, 12 days ago
The Department of Private Law of Maastricht University is looking for an Assistant Professor in Property Law / Universitair Docent Goederenrecht (0,8-1,0fte) (5 Years with Tenure-Track to Permanen...
Assistant Professor /Lecturer In Legal Law System (Brunei Darussalam And Other Muslim Regions) , Universiti Brunei Darussalam ;, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
Location: Gadong - Brunei Salary: See in text Hours: Full Time Contract Type: Fixed-Term/Contract Placed on: 24th May 2021 Closes: 3...