- 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 3,974 - € 5,439
- Required background
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Science
- Application deadline
- 13 February 2023
Are you a motivated scientist and teacher in the field of social sciences, innovation studies or a related field? Then realise a societal impact through your research and education as an assistant professor of responsible innovation in science and technology. You will work in a modern, green surroundings with an informal environment, where we support you so you can put your ideas to the test and push your boundaries.
The overall theme of study is responsible innovation in science and technology related to realising the Sustainable Development Goals. Science and technology are indispensable for problem-solving, progress, innovation and emancipation. To prevent techno-scientific innovation from giving rise to disruptive threats as a result of unplanned negative side-effects, societal reflection should be timely and anticipatory. How such responsible innovation is organised in multi-stakeholder innovation processes, what fundamental dilemmas may arise and how to deal with them are core issues for research. The basis for solving these issues is the development and application of scientifically sound quantitative and qualitative research methods. As an assistant professor, you will conduct your research (40%) at the Institute for Science in Society (ISiS). Your teaching activities (40%, in the first year 20%) will be mainly carried out in the Master's specialisation in Science, Management and Innovation (SMI), in which students from a natural science background learn to apply their expertise to a societally relevant issue in the context of innovation. You will be expected to teach Sustainable Innovation Management, introducing students (MSc Science) to the structure and nature of innovation products and processes and the way they are embedded in management, strategy and marketing practices. A second course to be taught is Quantitative and Qualitative Research Methods in Social Science.
More specifically, as an assistant professor, you will be expected to contribute to the further development and implementation of a research line on Responsible Research and Innovation. You should have the ambition to attract external research funding. Furthermore you will play an active role in our educational programmes, particularly by participation in and development of faculty-wide MSc courses in innovation management and social research methods, and by supervising undergraduate and graduate students in their thesis research projects. You will collaborate with colleagues within ISiS, the Science Faculty and other research institutes as well as with societal partners to further develop and implement the research and teaching agenda and to contribute to societal problem solving, all embedded within the group's broader research agenda.
- You are a highly motivated scientist (PhD) with proven knowledge of, and expertise in, the field of Social Sciences, Innovation Studies or a related field. A strong background and interest in research methodology is a plus.
- More specifically, you have a PhD degree and a track record in the area of Responsible Innovation in Science and Technology, a demonstrable passion for teaching as well as teaching experience, preferably in Science, with good evaluations.
- You have a strong foundation in quantitative and qualitative research techniques.
- You have obtained a University Teaching Qualification or are willing to obtain one during the term of your appointment at Radboud University.
- You are willing to realise societal impact through your research and teaching.
- You are a team player with excellent communication skills.
- You have excellent English language skills in oral and written communication, and you speak Dutch or are willing to learn Dutch.
The Institute for Science in Society (ISiS) is part of the Faculty of Science at Radboud University. ISiS hosts a variety of experts including philosophers, sociologists, anthropologists and interdisciplinary scientists with the aim to analyse, assess and improve the societal embedding of science and technology. We provide research and education for both Bachelor's and Master's students at the Science Faculty. Our research and education focuses on how actors - whether scientists, citizens, technology developers, or nature conservationists - understand the world around them and how such understanding can be improved to facilitate the addressing of complex issues in science and technology.
The Faculty of Science is a complete, student-oriented science faculty where research and education are closely related. The faculty aims to be an academic community with an international character, where staff members from different backgrounds can combine their talents with the common goal of being a leading faculty of science in Europe.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €3,974 and a maximum of €5,439 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 11 ).
- At the start of your employment you will be appointed as Assistant Professor level 2 (salary scale 11 ) on a career track towards promotion to Assistant Professor level 1 (salary scale, 12 maximum € 6,181). The performance criteria and duration of the career track will be tailored to your background and track record.
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- You will be employed on the basis of a temporary contract for 18 months with the prospect of a permanent contract in case of a positive evaluation of your performance.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Luca Consoli, Associate Professor at email@example.com
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 13 February 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Luca Consoli. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A motivation letter.
- Your curriculum vitae including a list of publications and the names and contact details (including email addresses) of three potential references.
- A research, teaching and management statement of no more than 2 pages.* *Please note: your statement should include your research and teaching profiles, as well as your vision for your role as an assistant professor at ISIS and the Faculty of Science.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline 13 February 2023
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Dr Consoli, L. (Luca)
Job application form
* Mandatory field
Are you an internal candidate at Radboud University?
When are you an internal candidate?
You are an internal candidate if you:
- Work at Radboud University (i.e. have an employment contract with Radboud University).
- Are a former Radboud University employee receiving unemployment (WW/BWNU) benefits paid by Radboud University (which started less than two years ago or resulted from the discontinuation of your job/redundancy).
- Currently work as a student employee at Radboud University through the campus employment office.
- Work as a temporary employee at, or have been seconded to, Radboud University.
One file only.
5 MB limit.
One file only.
6 MB limit.
One file only.
4 MB limit.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
Read our data processing policy .
Last modified: 17 January 2023
Share this page
Assistant Professor Of Very Long Baseline Radio Interferometry, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
The Department of Astrophysics at Radboud University is part of the Institute for Mathematics, Astrophysics and Particle Physics (IMAPP). This vibrant and international department currently consis...
Electron Microscopy Specialist, Radboud University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
The Department of General Instrumentation (GI) is a shared facility of the Faculty of Science at Radboud University. It plays an important role in our international, scientific and dynamic communi...
Assistant Professor Of International, Political And/Or Social History, Radboud University, Netherlands, 8 days ago
Assistant Professor of International, Political and/or Social History Assistant Professor of International, Political and/or Social History Published Deadline Location 10 Mar 2 Apr Nijmegen Job de...
Staff Scientist In Ultrasound Engineering At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Focused ultrasound stimulation (FUS) is a new non-invasive deep brain stimulation technique that opens up new horizons in research and treatment. Radboud University has joined forces in the focuse...
Donders City Lab Officer, Radboud University, Netherlands, 22 days ago
Donders CityLab Officer Donders CityLab Officer Published Deadline Location today 26 Mar Nijmegen Job description Would you like to make a difference by bringing research and society together in a...
Videnskabelig Assistent Ved Forskningsgruppen For økologi Med Interesse For Ferskvand Og Administrativt Arbejde , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 1 day ago
For further information please contact xxxx. Application, salary etc. The successful applicant will be employed in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish ...