The Institute of Public Administration is looking for an Assistant Professor (1,0 fte) Vacancy number: 22-764 13201 to strengthen its teaching and research in the governance of sustainability area.
For this position, we seek a new colleague with an interest in governance issues, especially in the field of sustainability. We especially would like to invite to apply those who can link sustainability with (one of) the other fields that are studied by our institute, which are decision-making and public policy, public management and leadership, political-administrative relations, and digital governance and AI.
You will be part of a thriving research and teaching community, that is expanding partially with projects initiated in the national 2022 Social Science Sector Programme.
- We are particularly looking for a colleague that is enthusiastic about contributing governance and policy perspectives to our inter-faculty Governance of Sustainability Master programme;
- Teaching and developing courses in the institute's bachelor and other master programmes, and supervising bachelor and master theses;
- Building and expanding your own line of research in the field of public policy and public administration, specifically in the topic mentioned above;
- Participating in national and international academic research networks and publish in international scientific journals;
- Contributing to the improvement and continuation of the education and research programs of the Institute;
- Playing an active role in linking scientific research and education to the practice of policy and management in the public domain;
- Contribute to the acquisition of research funding.
- You hold a doctorate (or are about to complete your doctorate) in public administration, political science, organizational sciences, sociology, economics or any other relevant field in the social sciences, with a research agenda that fits with the research themes mentioned above.
- You have demonstrable experience or affinity with interdisciplinary education and / or research.
- You have publications in national and international scientific journals or demonstrable potential to realize them.
- You are enthusiastic about teaching, have experience with university teaching and are open to innovative and activating teaching methods.
- You are a team player and like to work with colleagues, who are partly employed at other institutes and faculties.
- You have experience or affinity with collaborating with societal partners within the public sector (local, national or international) and are capable of developing and maintaining external networks.
- You are in possession of the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or are prepared to obtain this qualification within two years.
- You have good verbal and written communication skills, in both Dutch and English, or are prepared to gain sufficient command of Dutch for professional purposes within the foreseeable future (language level C1), whereby after 1 year there is a command for general purposes (language level A2).
The Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs is one of the seven faculties of Leiden University. Firmly rooted in the academic tradition, our students and researchers work together with national and international partners on new insights and solutions to current issues at the crossroads of politics, public administration, economics, and law.
The Institute of Public Administration in The Hague is one of the largest and oldest institutions for scientific research and teaching on public administration in the Netherlands. The Institute combines a strong international academic reputation with a central position in international national, regional, and local government institutions, including in The Hague. The Institute consistently receives high appraisals in peer reviews both for its teaching and research programmes. It offers a Dutch-language bachelor programme with two tracks: a Dutch-language master programme in Management of the Public Sector and an English-language master programme in Public Administration. It also participates in various programmes with other faculties, including the master programme in Governance of Sustainability and master programmes in the fields of Digitalisation and Health Governance.
The institute has received various national and international research grants including several VENI and VIDI grants from the Dutch National Science Organization as well as ERC and Horizon 2020 grants from the EU. In addition, the staff is also active in contract-research and teaching, which involves local and national government but also other public organizations from within Europe.
Terms and conditions
The Assistant Professor to be recruited is part of an ambitious and dynamic team of colleagues that wants to further expand the successes of recent years. There is a lot of collaboration across the boundaries of disciplines.
We would prefer you to start as soon as possible. The appointment will be under the terms of the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) of Dutch Universities. The appointment (fte 1.0) is in temporary employment for max 18 months, with the prospect of a permanent position after positive evaluation.
Salary ranges from €3,821.00 - to €5,230.00 - Gross per month (pay scale 11, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), and training and career development. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.staff.universiteitleiden.nl/human-resources/conditions-of-employment-salary-and-allowance?cf=governance-and-global-affairs .
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research.
You can find information about the Institute of Public Administration via:
For further inquiries about the vacancy, please contact Prof.dr. Bram Klievink via email@example.com .
Please submit online your application no later than 5 January 2023, by clicking the 'Apply' button.
Applicants should submit online a letter of interest accompanied by a CV.
Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents in PDF format:
- Motivation letter.
- Curriculum vitae including a list of publications.
- A sample publication.
- The names and addresses of three potential referees.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.
Professor By Special Appointment For The Chair Policing Studies (0,5 Fte), Leiden University, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Professor by special appointment for the chair Policing Studies (0,5 fte) Professor by special appointment for the chair Policing Studies (0,5 fte) Published Deadline Location today 28 Feb Den Haa...
Chair Of Public Policy With A Focus On Innovation And Sustainability (1,0 Fte), Leiden University, Netherlands, about 17 hours ago
Apply now Chair of Public Policy with a focus on Innovation and Sustainability(1,0 FTE) The Institute of Public Administration is looking for a Professor of Public Policy, with a focus on Innovati...
Chair Of Public Policy With A Focus On Innovation And Sustainability, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 17 hours ago
Apply now The Institute of Public Administration is looking for a Professor of Public Policy, with a focus on Innovation and Sustainability, to strengthen its expertise in these areas. Chair of Pu...
Assistant Professor Contemporary Armed Conflict, Leiden University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Apply now The Institute of Security and Global Affairs seeks to expand its academic staff by appointing an Assistant Professor with a specialisation in contemporary armed conflict. Over the past t...
Assistant Professor Contemporary Armed Conflict, Leiden University, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Assistant Professor Contemporary Armed Conflict Assistant Professor Contemporary Armed Conflict Published Deadline Location today 1 Mar Den Haag The Institute of Security and Global Affairs seeks ...
Assistant Professor In Applied Cognitive Psychology, Leiden University, Netherlands, 19 days ago
Assistant Professor in Applied Cognitive Psychology Assistant Professor in Applied Cognitive Psychology Published Deadline Location yesterday 10 Feb Leiden The Cognitive Psychology Unit, part of t...