- Employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary: € 4,629 - € 5,943
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Required background: PhD
- Application deadline: 27 May 2022
Everyone learns differently. It is important to educate others on the factors that influence these differences. As an Assistant Professor, you can contribute to the curriculum of Pedagogical and Educational Sciences, as well as conduct your own research. With your specialised knowledge and insights, you help students discover the realms of pedagogy, education and/or psychopathology.
We have two faculty openings at the assistant professor level. Both positions involve an equal division between teaching and research duties. We are looking for candidates with a background in pedagogical sciences (developmental psychopathology, pedagogy, general and special education or a closely related field (e.g. psychology, health sciences or behavioural sciences)). Experience in clinical practice is highly recommended.
As a lecturer, you will contribute to both introductory and more specialist courses in our Pedagogical and Educational Sciences curriculum (e.g. 'Introduction to Pedagogy') at the Bachelor's and Master's levels and you will supervise students during their internships and thesis research.
As a researcher, you have experience in and in-depth knowledge of research related to either 'family and parenting' or 'learning and learning problems', which comprise two of the research programmes of the Behavioural Science Institute (i.e. Developmental Psychopathology (DP) and Learning and Plasticity (L&P)). The Developmental Psychopathology group studies how individual characteristics (e.g. personality, cognitions, emotions and genes) and environmental and social factors (e.g. peers, parents and schools) interact to influence the development of a range of psychopathologies (e.g. mental health disorders, addiction). The Learning and Plasticity group conducts fundamental and applied research on individual differences in learning and development, with a focus on typically developing groups and samples with an atypical development. We expect you to build and/or extend your own research line and to connect with researchers and research lines across groups.
- Experience with designing, coordinating and delivering courses at the Bachelor's and Master's levels.
- Dedication and persistence in supervising Bachelor's and Master's students during their internships and thesis projects.
- A university teaching qualification (BKO) or the willingness to obtain this certificate within two years after appointment.
- A clinical registration (as a remedial educationalist-generalist or comparable) is highly recommended.
- A PhD degree in social science and a few years of postdoctoral experience in a field relevant to the job description.
- An outstanding track record in social scientific research.
- Fund-raising experience, preferably as a main applicant.
- Experience in communicating (or implementing) the results of scientific research to professional practice.
- Knowledge of advanced quantitative and/or qualitative research methods and statistical techniques.
- Experience in or endorsement of open science practices aiming to enhance transparency in social science research (e.g. preregistration, data sharing). An international network in academic and professional practice.
- Good social, communication and organisational skills, as well as team spirit.
- Excellent command of the Dutch language or the willingness to acquire sufficient proficiency in this language within two years of appointment.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English (C1 level) or the willingness to achieve this proficiency level within two years of appointment.
The Faculty of Social Sciences is the largest faculty at Radboud University. The Faculty's ambition is to become one of the top social science institutes in Europe, providing high-quality research and study programmes that rank among the best in the Netherlands. The positions will be embedded in the teaching institute of Pedagogical and Educational Sciences (in Dutch: Pedagogische Wetenschappen en Onderwijswetenschappen (PWO)), which currently houses about 1,700 students. The PWO study programmes focus on questions concerning upbringing, education, learning and typical and atypical development of children and adults. PWO aims to establish strong links between science and pedagogical and educational practice (scientist-practitioner). Students have regularly assessed the programmes as excellent. The positions will also be embedded in the Behavioural Science Institute (BSI), which is a multidisciplinary research institute and one of three research institutes of the Faculty of Social Sciences at Radboud University. Our researchers collaborate across the boundaries of psychology, educational science, and communication science. Our mission is to strengthen people through understanding the foundations of human behaviour, by creating synergy between different paradigms and by facilitating professionalism, curiosity and connection in scientific research. BSI has seven research programmes covering three major research themes: 1) development and learning, 2) health and mental health, and 3) social processes and communication. BSI conducts fundamental as well as applied/translational research and has excellent facilities and support for lab and field research.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €4,629 and a maximum of €5,943 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 12 ). The university job profile that applies (i.e. that of Assistant Professor level 1 or 2) will depend on your previous training and relevant work experience.
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 1 or 1.5 years with the prospect of a permanent employment upon positive evaluation.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Jacqueline Vink, Full professor at email@example.com . Alternatively, you can contact Eliane Segers, Full professor at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Practical information and applications
You can apply until 27 May 2022, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Jacqueline Vink. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
The first round of interviews will take place at mid June. The second round of interviews will take place at the end of June. You would preferably begin employment on 1 September 2022.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Lecturer In Programming Skills, Radboud University, Netherlands, 24 days ago
Are you an inspiring lecturer in the field of programming and/or formal methods and techniques? And do you have affinity with the topics of diversity and inclusion? Then pass on your knowledge to ...
Assistant Professor Of International Relations, Radboud University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
The Department of Political Science at Radboud University is looking for an Assistant Professor of International Relations. Although we are looking for a broadly oriented and versatile lecturer in...
Assistant Professor Circularity Of Engineering Materials And Structures, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 26 days ago
Your are to develop new green construction materials from recycled products and predict their possible range of application and assess the circularity of the construction process and building mate...
R&D Manager Biocon: Pilot Platform For Chemocatalytic Technologies, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 22 days ago
- PhD or equivalent research expertise in bioscience engineering, chemical engineering, or industrial engineering. Additional education in general management, innovation management and/or en...
Workday Systems Administrator Gns Science, GNS Science, New Zealand, 2 days ago
GNS Science (www.gns.cri.nz) is the leading supplier of earth and isotope scientific research and consultancy services in New Zealand. The work we do drives innovation and economic growth in New ...
Assistant Professor Of Machine Learning At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 24 days ago
Are you a motivated researcher specialised in machine learning with an interest in natural computing and applications in sustainable technology? As assistant professor, you will help students deve...