Assistant Professor of Modern Cultural History
Assistant Professor of Modern Cultural History
Today's world requires critical thinkers, people who can define new directions for research and teaching that respond to the changes and challenges of our times. As an Assistant Professor of Cultural History at Radboud University, you will join a diverse group of dedicated scholars, shape the field of cultural history, and flourish in a friendly and vibrant academic community.
The European Cultural History section is welcoming applications from specialists in modern cultural history (since 1800) who will solidify and complement our profile and strengths in research, teaching and societal impact. We are especially interested in new colleagues with an expertise in one or more of the following themes: leisure, sport and/or consumer culture; migration and/or ethnicity; memory and heritage studies; environmental and/or rural history. We also hope to expand our horizon both within and beyond Europe.
As an assistant professor you will be part of the European Cultural History section (nine tenured staff, seven PhD candidates), embedded in the Department of History, Art History and Classics. You will teach general and specialised courses in the Dutch and English BA programmes in History, the MA programme in Geschiedenis & Actualiteit (in Dutch) and the Research Master's programme in Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies (in English). You will supervise students writing their papers and theses, participate in educational support activities such as tutoring, and actively contribute to the development of the curriculum.
Your research will be embedded in the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH). You are a productive and active researcher who is developing research projects, writing, publishing and collaborating on themes that contribute to the central questions of RICH research groups and the Cultural History section. You will seek external funding and will be actively involved in public engagement activities. You will participate in working groups, committees and/or project groups within the department, programme or faculty.
Up to 60% of your working time will be allocated to teaching (including management tasks) and 40% to research (excluding external funding).
- max. 32 hours per week
- €3974—€6181 per month
- Nijmegen View on Google Maps
- You hold a PhD degree in Modern Cultural History (since 1800).
- You are a dedicated and ambitious researcher with a proven record of internationally acknowledged publications; you have experience with grant applications.
- You are a team player, able to establish innovative collaborations with other members of the expertise group and beyond, in both research and teaching.
- You are an inspiring lecturer with an articulate teaching philosophy, and have several years of teaching experience at the BA and MA levels including thesis supervision, and stimulating ideas on curriculum development.
- You have a university teaching qualification (UTQ/BKO) or an equivalent qualification, or are prepared to obtain a UTQ within two years (*).
- You are either in possession of a Cambridge Certificate in English C2 proficiency (or equivalent), or are committed to obtain it in the foreseeable future (*).
- If Dutch is not your mother tongue, you are willing to learn Dutch and obtain level B2 after 1 year and level C1 in the following year (*).
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: It concerns a temporary employment for 12 or 18 months, with permanent employment after positive evaluation.
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €3,974 and a maximum of €6,181 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 11 or 12 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 12 or 18 months, with permanent employment after positive evaluation.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
The Faculty of Arts is committed to knowledge production that will have a significant scientific and social impact. With over 500 academic and support staff, we teach and conduct research in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, and linguistics and communication, using innovative methodologies and working in close collaboration between the disciplines. Our research is embedded in two research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH). We currently have approximatively 2,500 students , enrolled in three departments: the Department of History, Art History and Classics, the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the Department of Language and Communication. We aim to contribute to a more sustainable and inclusive world, which is why we especially seek applications from candidates who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds and skills that will be assets to our study programmes and research profiles.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
For questions about the position, please contact Prof. Jan Hein Furnée, Head of the Department History, Art History and Classics at email@example.com .
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all.
You have a part to play!
Apply for this job
Apply for this job
This application process is managed by the employer (Radboud University). Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.Apply for this job via the employer's website
Thank you for applying
Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Tip: save this job as favorite in your AcademicTransfer account. This gives you an immediate overview and makes it easy to find the job later on. No account yet? Create it now and take advantage of other useful functionalities too!
Back to the vacancy
You can apply until 23 April 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Prof. Jan Hein Furnée. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV, including a list of publications and contact details of two references.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Assistant Professor: Ai And Philosophy Of Mind And Language , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Employment 0.8 FTE Gross monthly salary € 4,332 - € 5,929 Required background PhD Organizational unit Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies Application deadline 22 October 2023 App...
Assistant Professor Of Societal Implications Of Ai & Cns At The Donders Centre For Cognition , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Employment 0.8 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 4,332 - € 6,737 Required background PhD Organizational unit Faculty of Social Sciences Application deadline 16 October 2023 Apply now You will join ...
International Engagement Officer , Radboud University, Netherlands, 16 days ago
Employment 0.6 FTE Gross monthly salary € 3,377 - € 4,640 Required background University of Applied Sciences Degree Organizational unit Nijmegen School of Management Application deadline 17 Septem...
System Engineer For The Africa Millimetre Telescope , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Employment 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 4,332 - € 5,929 Required background Research University Degree Organizational unit Faculty of Science Application deadline 15 October 2023 Apply now The F...
Assistant Professor Of Metaphysics And Philosophical Anthropology , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Employment 0.8 FTE Gross monthly salary € 4,332 - € 5,929 Required background PhD Organizational unit Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies Application deadline 08 October 2023 App...
Assistant Professor Of Metaphysics And Philosophical Anthropology, Radboud University, Netherlands, 20 days ago
2 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Radboud University Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applic...