23 May 2023
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Leading Researcher (R4)
Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
4 Jun 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
- Teaching law & society courses in English (and possibly in Dutch) to bachelor and master students of Leiden Law School and Leiden University College (The Hague);
- Co-ordinating and developing existing and new courses;
- Supervising bachelor and master theses;
- Supervising a mentee group (master students enrolled in the Master Law & Society).
- Co-supervising PhD-students
- Doing research in the field of law & society;
- Publishing in (international, peer-reviewed) scholarly journals;
- Preparing papers for and presenting them at international conferences;
- Initiating and coordinating the submission of research proposals;
- Organizing activities/events in the field of law & society;
- Performing administrative tasks and participating in administrative bodies within the Institute and the Law Faculty at large (e.g. Board of Examiners, the Master Programme Committee, Diversity Committee, etc.).
The department is looking for a motivated and proactive candidate who can function well both individually and as part of a team.
- You have completed a PhD in law or one of the social sciences, but with clearly demonstrable knowledge and expertise in law & society;
- You to have experience in conducting empirical research using qualitative research methods;
- You have experience in teaching bachelor's and/or master's courses and your didactic qualities are reflected in good teaching evaluations;
- You have a broad general knowledge of the field law & society, sociology of law or legal anthropology;
- You have an excellent command of spoken and written English;
- You have a good command of Dutch or the willingness to learn Dutch;
- You hold a Basic Teaching Qualification (UTQ) certificate or you are prepared to obtain it within two years.
Terms and conditions
We offer an - initial - one-year (12 months) position for Assistant Professor with the possibility of turning into a permanent position after this initial period.
Salary range from € 3.974.- to € 5439.- gross per month on a full-time basis (pay scale 11), in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions .
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification. If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Within our policy framework on quality, almost all academic staff at the Faculty of Law have obtained a PhD degree and have met the requirements for the advanced research qualification. In addition, they make a significant contribution to the faculty research program. More information on the advanced research qualification and research programs of the Graduate School of Legal Studies can be found on: law.leiden.edu/research-leiden-law-school/graduate-school-of-legal-studies.html .
Diversity and inclusion
Diversity and inclusion are core values of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Please submit online your application no later than 4 June 2023 via the blue button in our application system.
You can address your application to Prof. Adriaan Bedner. Please attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation in which you describe how your skills and expertise match the job requirements;
- A one-page research memo in which you outline the research you would like to do during the coming years;
- A CV;
- Copies of your academic certificates;
- Your dissertation and/or examples of published articles;
- Names and contact details (e-mail addresses) of three academic references - including your PhD supervisor(s) - who know you and your work well.
We plan to have our interviews in the week of 26th of June.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated
Further information about this vacancy can be requested by sending an email to Adriaan Bedner firstname.lastname@example.org . .
More information about the Institute for the Interdisciplinary Study of the Law and the Van Vollenhoven Institute can be found here: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/law/institute-for-the-interdisciplinary-study-of-the-law/van-vollenhoven-institute .
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Universiteit Leiden
- Postal Code
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Assistant Professor ('Ud') In Classical Archaeology And Art, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
Apply now The Department of World Archaeology of the Faculty of Archaeology is looking for an Assistant Professor (‘UD’) in Classical Archaeology and Art Vacancy number: 14063 Profile We seek an e...
Research And Education It Developer, Leiden University, Netherlands, 28 minutes ago
Apply now The Leiden Institute of Physics (LION) and Leiden Observatory (STRW) carry out fundamental and curiosity driven research. Do you have affinity with academia and would you like to support...
Research Technicus, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
Apply now The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Institute of Physics (LION) invite applications for a Research technician (1,0 fte; temporary position for 1 year) Vacaturenummer: 14110 Key respons...
Senior Grant Advisor, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Terms and conditions We offer A challenging and inspiring international work environment with ample opportunities for personal and professional development; An appointment for a period of one year...
Operando Electrochemical Stm: Towards Cyclic Voltammograms With Nm Resolution, Leiden University, Netherlands, 27 minutes ago
Apply now The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Institute of Physics is looking for a PhD student (or PostDoc), “Operando Electrochemical STM: Towards Cyclic Voltammograms with nm Resolution” Vaca...
Operando Electrochemical Stm, Structural Evolution Of Electrocatalytic Surfaces In Action, Leiden University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Apply now The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Institute of Physics is looking for a PhD student (or PostDoc), “Operando Electrochemical STM Structural Evolution of Electrocatalytic Surfaces in A...