- Employment: 0.8 FTE
- Gross monthly salary: € 3,821 - € 5,943
- Faculty of Arts
- Required background: PhD
- Application deadline: 29 May 2022
Are you an expert in Hispanic culture and language as well as an inspiring teacher? As Assistant Professor, you will help students develop their knowledge and conduct research on environmental humanities, digital humanities and the inclusion of non-Western perspectives. In this way, you will contribute to the education of the new generation and to new insights in your field.
The Hispanic Studies Section at Radboud University is looking for an Assistant Professor of Hispanic Cultural Studies, with a focus on Latin America or the Global Hispanophone and preferably with additional expertise in visual culture. As an Assistant Professor you will be part of the Hispanic Studies Section of the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures at the Faculty of Arts and participate in its educational programme on all levels.
You are an inspiring teacher with a strong international research profile who demonstrates a global perspective on current academic and societal developments. You will be teaching BA and MA courses in modern and contemporary Hispanic cultural studies (in Spanish, English and Dutch) and occasionally in Spanish language acquisition; supervise students, participate in educational support activities such as tutoring; and actively contribute to the development of the curriculum. You will be closely involved with the organisation of the Hispanic Studies programme and assist in shaping its future trajectories. Your research will be embedded in the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH). You are a productive and active researcher who will be able to contribute to RICH research groups and RICH in general. Focus areas within the institute are environmental humanities, digital humanities, and the inclusion of non-Western perspectives. You will seek external funding and will be active in public engagement activities. You will cooperate with academic staff in research activities and will participate in committees and/or project groups within the department, programme or faculty.
In this position a standard part of your working hours is reserved for teaching (incl. administrative tasks) and for research (excl. additional research funding). The current teaching-research balance for assistant professors at the Faculty of Arts is 60%-40%.
The Faculty of Arts at Radboud University is committed to diversity and inclusivity. Candidates from underrepresented groups are especially invited to apply.
- You hold a PhD in Hispanic Culture and/or Literature; Visual Culture, Anthropology, or History.
- You have a focus on Latin America or the Global Hispanophone and preferably (additional) expertise in visual culture.
- You have a track record of international high-profile scholarly publications.
- You have an international network of contacts in academia as well as with stakeholders in your field and the ambition to fulfill a leadership position in your field.
- You have the ability to attract external research funding and the ambition to participate in RICH .
- You have experience with and/or are enthusiastic about interdisciplinary teaching and research.
- You have demonstrable experience in providing university education at different levels and have experience in the supervision of Bachelor's and Master's theses.
- You have experience in teaching non-native speakers at an academic level.
- You have administrative and organisational skills.
- You have a formal university teaching qualification (UTQ), or are willing and able to obtain one within two years.
- Dutch is your native language, or you demonstrate your commitment to mastering the Dutch language by obtaining C1 level within 18 months.
- You hold a Cambridge Certificate (CPE2 level) in English or equivalent, or willing to obtain one.
The Faculty of Arts is committed to knowledge production with a significant scientific and social impact. With over 500 academic and support staff, we teach and conduct research in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, and linguistics and communication, using innovative methodologies and working in close collaboration between the disciplines. Our research is embedded in two research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH). We currently have approximatively 2,500 students, enrolled in three departments: the Department of History, Art History and Classics, the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the Department of Language and Communication. We aim to contribute to a more sustainable and inclusive world, which is why we especially seek applications from candidates who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and skills that will be assets to our study programmes and research profiles.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment for 0.8 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €3,821 and a maximum of €5,943 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 11 or 12 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 1.5 years with the prospect of a permanent position after positive evaluation.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Brigitte Adriaensen, Professor at 0031 24 361 10 69 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Practical information and applications
You can apply until 29 May 2022, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Brigitte Adriaensen. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV (including a list of publications and the names and contact details of three references).
- A writing sample, preferably a published article.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates. You may be asked to give a sample lecture to an audience consisting of staff and students. Interviews will include a presentation of teaching and research plans.
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Assistant Professor Of Political Philosophy And/Or Philosophical Ethics, With Expertise In The..., Radboud University, Netherlands, 27 days ago
The Department of Ethics and Political Philosophy seeks to strengthen its teaching and research expertise in the field of Philosophy of Technology. Digitalisation is giving rise to a range of ethi...
Associate Professor Of Geographies Of Health And Globalisation, Radboud University, Netherlands, 20 days ago
Are you a motivated researcher specialised in the intersection of health and globalization? As associate professor, you will help students develop their knowledge and conduct research on geographi...
Lecturer In Programming Skills, Radboud University, Netherlands, 19 days ago
Are you an inspiring lecturer in the field of programming and/or formal methods and techniques? And do you have affinity with the topics of diversity and inclusion? Then pass on your knowledge to ...
Assistant Professor Of Machine Learning At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 19 days ago
Are you a motivated researcher specialised in machine learning with an interest in natural computing and applications in sustainable technology? As assistant professor, you will help students deve...
Associate Professor Of Corporate Governance, Radboud University, Netherlands, 18 days ago
Are you an experienced teacher and researcher in the are of Corporate Governance and Strategic Management? Then you have a part to play as an Associate Professor in Corporate Governance for our St...
Assistant (23487) Architecture And Urban Planning, Ghent University, Belgium, 22 days ago
→ Apply before 13/06/2022 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels Time) → Faculty of Engineering and Architecture → Department: EA01 - Architectuur en Stedenbouw → Occupancy rate: 80% → Number of positi...