- Employment: 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary: € 4,612 - € 5,922
- Faculty of Arts
- Required background: PhD
- Application deadline: 31 August 2021
We are looking for
Are you an ambitious academic with broad teaching and research expertise and a focus on English language learning and teaching, who would like to join our English Linguistics group? Then you may be the new colleague we are looking for.
As Assistant Professor of English Linguistics you will join the staff of English Language and Culture , which is part of the department of Modern Languages and Cultures in the Faculty of Arts and is responsible for two BA programmes, English Language and Culture and American Studies. We expect that a minimum of 35% of your time will be devoted to research, and the rest will be devoted to teaching (including administrative duties). You will primarily teach courses in the BA programmes offered by English Language and Culture and in the Master's programmes in Linguistics. You will be responsible for providing education in a number of areas related to English language proficiency, including the British English pronunciation component of the Oral Communication Skills course. The linguistics and language proficiency component of the BA programme is undergoing revisions to which you will be expected to contribute, particularly by leading the development of ICT resources for English language teaching. You will also be expected to supervise internships, BA and MA theses, and PhD dissertations in your specialisation.
Your research will be located in one of the world's leading research institutes for linguistics, namely Radboud University's Center for Language Studies (CLS), which includes the Centre for Language and Speech Technology . You will contribute to research in one of CLS's focus areas, depending on your research focus. You will preferably investigate the use and development of ICT applications in language learning and teaching. You will also be expected to pursue grant application opportunities.
- A PhD in Linguistics with a specialisation in English language learning and teaching.
- A track record of publications commensurate with your career stage.
- A native or a near-native command of British English.
- Demonstrable experience with second language learning and teaching in a TESOL context (at BA level), with a preference for a specialisation in the use and development of ICT applications for TESOL.
- Ability to contribute to the teaching of British English pronunciation and phonetics and to cover both British and American English will be strong advantages.
- Basic university teaching qualification (BKO) or an equivalent qualification, or the willingness and ability to obtain this qualification within two years.
The Faculty of Arts employs over 500 academic and support staff in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, linguistics and communication. Research is embedded in two faculty research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Radboud Institute for Culture and History (RICH). The faculty currently enrols some 2,400 students in three departments: the department of History, Art History and Classics, the department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the department of Language and Communication. We want to be a diverse and inclusive organisation, which is why we aim to create a culturally diverse staff.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment: 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €4,612 and a maximum of €5,922 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 12 ).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: 1.5 years with the possibility of a permanent contract.
- The intended start date is 1 January 2022.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Amalia Arvaniti, Full Professor
Please address your application to Amalia Arvaniti and submit it, using the application button, no later than 31 August 2021, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- Motivation letter, explaining your reasons for choosing to apply for this post, your qualifications and how they fit the job description in terms of research, teaching, and administrative experience (if any).
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Assistant Professor In European Legal And Economic Governance, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
The Faculty of Humanities, Department of History, European Studies and Religious Studies, is looking for an Assistant Professor in European Legal and Economic Governance. What are you going to do ...
Lecturers Of English Academic Skills (2.4 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Department description Express yourself – understand the world. This is the motto of the University of Groningen Language Centre. We believe that we can make the world a better place. We do this b...
English Language Centre, Junior English Language Instructor, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Due to the current visa policy, we are currently only able to interview candidates who are located in mainland China or who hold a valid Chinese working visa. This policy will be updated in line w...
Assistant Professor Tenure Track, University of Innsbruck, Austria, 3 days ago
Start date/duration 01.03.2022 for 6 years, possibility of a qualification agreement Job profile: In this position you will have the opportunity to carry out high level research and to specialise ...
Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor In English Linguistics, Stockholm University, Sweden, about 19 hours ago
at the Department of English . Closing date: 30 september 2021. The Department of English has an international staff of about 40 people engaged in a wide range of research projects, as demonstrate...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Global Economics & Management (1.0 0.8 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Organisation The Department of Global Economics & Management is an active and international research group, consisting of approximately 80 people. Approximately 40 percent of staff members and mor...