- Employment: 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary: € 4,612 - € 5,922
- Faculty of Arts
- Required background: PhD
- Application deadline: 31 August 2021
We are looking for
Are you an ambitious academic with broad teaching and research expertise and a focus on English language learning and teaching, who would like to join our English Linguistics group? Then you may be the new colleague we are looking for.
As Assistant Professor of English Linguistics you will join the staff of English Language and Culture , which is part of the department of Modern Languages and Cultures in the Faculty of Arts and is responsible for two BA programmes, English Language and Culture and American Studies. We expect that a minimum of 35% of your time will be devoted to research, and the rest will be devoted to teaching (including administrative duties). You will primarily teach courses in the BA programmes offered by English Language and Culture and in the Master's programmes in Linguistics. You will be responsible for providing education in a number of areas related to English language proficiency, including the British English pronunciation component of the Oral Communication Skills course. The linguistics and language proficiency component of the BA programme is undergoing revisions to which you will be expected to contribute, particularly by leading the development of ICT resources for English language teaching. You will also be expected to supervise internships, BA and MA theses, and PhD dissertations in your specialisation.
Your research will be located in one of the world's leading research institutes for linguistics, namely Radboud University's Center for Language Studies (CLS), which includes the Centre for Language and Speech Technology . You will contribute to research in one of CLS's focus areas, depending on your research focus. You will preferably investigate the use and development of ICT applications in language learning and teaching. You will also be expected to pursue grant application opportunities.
- A PhD in Linguistics with a specialisation in English language learning and teaching.
- A track record of publications commensurate with your career stage.
- A native or a near-native command of British English.
- Demonstrable experience with second language learning and teaching in a TESOL context (at BA level), with a preference for a specialisation in the use and development of ICT applications for TESOL.
- Ability to contribute to the teaching of British English pronunciation and phonetics and to cover both British and American English will be strong advantages.
- Basic university teaching qualification (BKO) or an equivalent qualification, or the willingness and ability to obtain this qualification within two years.
The Faculty of Arts employs over 500 academic and support staff in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, linguistics and communication. Research is embedded in two faculty research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Radboud Institute for Culture and History (RICH). The faculty currently enrols some 2,400 students in three departments: the department of History, Art History and Classics, the department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the department of Language and Communication. We want to be a diverse and inclusive organisation, which is why we aim to create a culturally diverse staff.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment: 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €4,612 and a maximum of €5,922 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 12 ).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: 1.5 years with the possibility of a permanent contract.
- The intended start date is 1 January 2022.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Amalia Arvaniti, Full Professor
Please address your application to Amalia Arvaniti and submit it, using the application button, no later than 31 August 2021, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- Motivation letter, explaining your reasons for choosing to apply for this post, your qualifications and how they fit the job description in terms of research, teaching, and administrative experience (if any).
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Assistant Professor Of International And European Law, Radboud University, Netherlands, 2 days ago
Benefits Employment for 1.0 FTE. The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €4,612 and a maximum of €5,922 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of year...
Assistant Professor Of Economic History, Radboud University, Netherlands, 14 days ago
Will you be joining our expertise group in Economic, Social and Demographic History? We are looking for a colleague who can teach Economic History covering Early Modern and Contemporary History, w...
Assistant Professor Of International And European Law, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
The Faculty of Law of Radboud University considers education and research its core tasks. Its academic education focuses on training all-round lawyers and delivering postgraduate courses for legal...
Full Professor Of Theoretical Machine Learning And Neural Networks, Radboud University, Netherlands, 5 days ago
The Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour of Radboud University seeks to appoint a Professor of Theoretical Machine Learning and Neural Networks. The Donders Institute is a world-c...
Full Professor Of Cognitive Computing At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 5 days ago
Strategically located in Europe, Radboud University is one of the leading academic communities in the Netherlands. A place with a personal touch, where top-flight education and research take place...
Professor And Head Of Subject In English And Education, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden, about 12 hours ago
Luleå University of Technology is experiencing strong growth with world leading competence in several areas of research. Our research is conducted in close collaboration with industries such as Bo...