19 Sep 2023
Maastricht University (UM)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Leading Researcher (R4)
Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
15 Oct 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Are you curious to develop smart, sustainable and secure network solutions for Internet of Things, and how this enables Digital Twining and Smart Industry? Eager to see whether we are indeed protecting the IoT devices we should care about most, such as, real-time control systems, or the ever-more-pervasive smart-home systems, and to further our understanding on the balance between controls and functionality involved? And the other way round: see what threats these ‘IoT devices‘ themselves pose to their environment?
If you see yourself making an impact in any of these areas – or you have other interesting Internet of Things topics to bring to the table –, you should consider joining our Department of Advanced Computing Sciences (DACS) as an Assistant Professor in Internet of Things. DACS is an international community of ~100 researchers at various stages of their career, embedded in the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE). Our department has more than 30 years’ experience with research and teaching in the fields of Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science and Applied Mathematics.
What are you going to do?
We are looking for a colleague to strengthen our research initiatives on emerging computing technologies to boost high-performance artificial intelligence and data processing in robotics, distributed, networked and embedded systems. Within that scope your focus area will be on Internet of Things for which you will bring in and develop valuable expertise. You will join our team that focusses on enabling smart cities, smart home applications, and smart industries. This team operates at Maastricht University in Maastricht and at the Brightlands Smart Service Campus in Heerlen.
As Assistant Professor, you will be active in acquiring research funding, in high-impact research, and support fellow junior researchers.
As our new colleague, you will contribute to DACS research. Our research activities span the entire spectrum from curiosity-driven research to responsible societal applications, often taking on an interdisciplinary character. Contributions to areas such as multi-agent systems, (medical) signal and image processing, FAIR principles, game theory, intelligent search techniques and affective computing are internationally recognized. What makes our research so interesting is that DACS maintains an industry network with over 80 private collaborators ranging from local SMEs to large multinationals. The department designs and develops data-driven solutions for a wide variety of business applications in sectors including transport and logistics, healthcare, and production and manufacturing. This why you can contribute to science and our society of tomorrow!
In addition to your research, you will contribute to our top-rated education. Our department offers one bachelor’s program and two master programs, all of which are nationally ranked among the top of their kind and involve Data Science and Artificial Intelligence. In September 2023, we will also launch a new bachelor in Computer Science. You will have an important voice in developing our education programs.
Who are you?
We seek a colleague who is passionate about research and who enjoys teaching. You feel at home in a strongly international and diverse community like ours. Furthermore, we are looking to welcome someone who fosters collaboration at all levels.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A PhD degree in Internet of Things, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a strongly related field;
- Preferably 2 years working experience in an academic environment post-PhD;
- A proven track record in research and teaching;
- Experience with funding acquisition at national and European level;
As an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Science and Engineering, you will be employed by the most international university of the Netherlands, located in the beautiful city of Maastricht. In addition, we offer you:
- Good employment conditions. The position is in grated in scale 13-14 according to the UFO profile Assistant Professor, function level 2-1 with corresponding salary ranging from €4.332 to €6.737 gross per month (based on a full-time employment of 38 hours per week). In addition to the monthly salary, an 8.0% holiday allowance and an 8.3% year-end bonus are applicable.
- An employment contract for a period of 18 months with a scope of 1.0 FTE. If proven suitable, the employment contract will be converted into an indefinite contract.
- As Family-friendly University, we offer flexible working hours and the possibility to work partly from home if the nature of your position allows it. You will receive a monthly commuting and internet allowance for this. If you work full-time, you will be entitled to 29 vacation days and 4 additional public holidays per year, namely carnival Monday, carnival Tuesday, Good Friday, and Liberation Day. If you choose to accumulate compensation hours, an additional 12 days will be added. Furthermore, you can personalize your employment conditions through a collective labor agreement (CAO) choice model.
- As Maastricht University, we offer various other excellent secondary employment conditions. These include a good pension scheme with the ABP and the opportunity for UM employees to participate in company fitness and make use of the extensive sports facilities that we also offer to our students.
- Applicants from outside The Netherlands may be eligible for the so-called 30% ruling, a tax cut for highly skilled migrants that applies for a maximum of five years. If you are moving to Maastricht from more than 40 kilometers away, you may qualify for a one-time reimbursement of your relocation costs
- Last but certainly not least, we provide the space and facilities for your personal and professional development. We facilitate this by offering a wide range of training programs and supporting various well-established initiatives such as 'acknowledge and appreciate'.
The terms of employment at Maastricht University are largely set out in the Collective Bargaining Agreement of Dutch Universities. In addition, local provisions specific to UM apply. For more information, Click here
Please send in the following documents:
- Research statement;
- Teaching statement;
- List of publications;
- Contact information (names, e-mail addresses, and phone number) of two persons willing to provide references.
Applications received by (end of day) Sunday, October 15 2023 will receive full consideration.
Maastricht University is committed to promoting and nurturing a diverse and inclusive community. We believe that diversity in our staff and student population contributes to the quality of research and education at UM, and strive to enable this through inclusive policies and innovative projects led by teams of staff and students. We encourage you to apply for this position.
Please note, the system cannot upload the following attachments (xyz.zip .htm .html).
If you have questions about this position, you can refer to:
Prof. Mark Winands (Professor in Machine Reasoning; Chair of Department of Advanced Computing Sciences) email@example.com
If you are interested in the position of Assistant Professor in Internet of Things at DACS, we welcome you to apply via Academic Transfer.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Maastricht University
- Postal Code
- 6229 EN
- Paul-Henri Spaaklaan 1
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Project Leader At Maastricht University's Centre For Entrepreneurship And Innovation, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 11 days ago
The School of Business and Economics The School of Business and Economics (SBE) is one of Maastricht University’s six faculties. Our mission is to contribute to a better world by addressing societ...
Chair / Distinguished / Full Professor In Intelligent Sensing And Network Communication, UNIVERSITY OF MACAU, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
(Ref. No.: IOTSC/CDF/ISNC/11/2023) The University of Macau (UM) is an internationalized public comprehensive university in the Macao Special Administrative Region (MSAR) located at the west bank o...
Policy Officer Education | Faculty Of Arts And Social Sciences (Fa So S), AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 5 days ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague with a passion for educational policy and insights in relevant related developments, and who excels in analytical and advising skills and has a collegi...
Assistant Professor Sustainable Urban Area Development, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
Position Assistant Professor Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Built Environment Reference number V38.7105 Job description Are you eager to contribute to the research field of multi-stakehol...
Eng D Design Analog To Digital Converters Integrated Using Flexible Electronics, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
Position Engineering Doctorate (EngD) Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.7086 Job description Are you inspired by designing integrated circuits? Ar...
Business Development Manager Smart Food Processing, Wageningen University and Research Center, Netherlands, about 1 month ago
Your job Pioneer in Business Development, Smart Food Processing. Are you passionate about spearheading innovation programs that pave the way for groundbreaking sensor and digital food advancements...