Irène Curie Fellowship
Are you interested in structural design for a sustainable future reducing the CO2 footprint of buildings and infrastructures? Are you a researcher who is passionate about teaching on new sustainable structural materials, design methodologies and construction methods? Then you may be an excellent candidate for this Assistant Professor position.
This Assistant Professor position is embedded in the chair of Sustainable Structural Design of the Unit Structural Engineering and Design of the Department of the Built Environment of Eindhoven University of Technology (https://www.tue.nl/en/research/research-groups/structural-engineering-and-design/ ).
Sustainable structural design is a field that substantially contributes to the reduction of the CO2 footprint due to the construction of buildings and infrastructure. New bio-based building materials are developed and used in structural applications, and the principles of circular design are applied to enhance sustainability. You have a strong interest in sustainable structural design and specific experience in structural design with biobased materials, but also with other materials. You are interested in circular design, both in terms of designing structures for circularity and in terms of re-using building materials and components in new designs. You have a thorough, in-depth knowledge of parametric design and other relevant software programs (e.g. finite element method).
As an Assistant Professor, you will be involved in research, teaching, valorization and organization.
As a researcher, you will write research proposals and submit these to (inter)national funding agencies. Granted research proposals will lead to appointing PhD students of which you act as the daily supervisor. Your research output is published in highly ranked international journals.
As a teacher, you are able to connect your teaching to your research. You will be educating the structural engineers and designers of the future, both at the bachelor and at the master level. You will (co-)develop and teach courses and projects in English. Your expertise is in the field of structural design for buildings and infrastructure, with an emphasis on sustainability and circularity. Since our educational programs are integrally addressing all building disciplines, expertise in other building disciplines (like building physics, architecture, urbanism and urban systems and real estate) is a pre but not a must. It would be nice if you would feel confident to teach one or more of these disciplines at undergraduate (bachelor) level.
You are able to build a network and attract companies becoming interested in your research. You will set up valorization projects together with companies to bring your research to practice.
You will contribute to the organization by participating in committees aimed at maintaining and improving the quality of our research and of our bachelor and master educational programs. These programs contribute to important societal themes like the energy transition, sustainability and circularity, the housing problem and the ageing infrastructure. Our department participates in (inter)national activities like the New European Bauhaus initiative and the EWUU alliance on themes of sustainability, inclusiveness and circular society, which gives you ample opportunities to cooperate with colleagues from other organizations and universities.
- Motivated researcher, with a PhD in civil or building engineering with a specialization in structural engineering and/or structural design, or a comparable domain.
- Some years of experience as a postdoc researcher.
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, reflected in demonstratable output.
- Ability to teach, demonstrated by experience or assistance in teaching. Clear vision on teaching and learning within your own discipline.
- Strong cooperation skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Effective communication and leadership skills, including coaching and mentoring of students and staff, leading a project or chairing a group.
- Excellent (written and verbal) proficiency in English.
- Expert in circularity in structural design and structural applications of biobased materials.
- In-depth knowledge of parametric design and finite element programs for structural design purposes.
- Holding a ‘University Teaching Qualification’ or the willingness to obtain such a qualification in the first three years of the appointment.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming an Associate Professor. If you have a more senior profile, a tailor-made career proposal will be considered.
- The opportunity to focus your career on education, research or impact. You can develop your personal ambitions within the strategic objectives of the university.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 11 (min. € 3974,- max. € 5439,- per month).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- A dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- High-quality training programs for academic leadership and teaching.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and partner career support .
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Curious to hear more about what it is like as an assistant professor at TU/e?
Working as assistant professor @ Eindhoven University of Technology - YouTube
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact the hiring manager Bert Snijder, Professor of Structural Design (Steel Structures), h.h.snijder[at]tue.nl or +31 40 2472153.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Scott Jacops, HR Advisor, s.m.m.c.b.jacops[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 3161.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Open Doctoral Position In Computational Design Methods For Sustainable Design, The Engineering Design and Computing Lab, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 12 hours ago
The Engineering Design and Computing Lab, ETH Zurich Location: Zurich, Switzerland Start Date: September 2023 Application Closing Date: 02 June 2023 The Engineering Design and Computing Laboratory...
Doctoral Position In Computational Design Methods For Sustainable Design , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Engineering Design and Computing Laboratory has a fully-funded doctoral position to work on cutting-edge research projects in computational design methods for sustaina...
Assistant Professor For The Department Of Design And Furniture, Mendelova univerzita v Brně, Czech, about 10 hours ago
9 Jun 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Mendelova univerzita v Brně Research Field Agricultural sciences » Forest sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Czech Repub...
Technical Expert Position In Xr Applications For Assembly (Dis And Re Assembly) Of Net Zero Carbon Infrastructure , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
100%, Zurich, fixed-term Design++ , is the new Center for Augmented Computational Design in Architecture, Engineering and Construction at ETH Zurich. The vision of the center is to create novel so...
Technical Expert Position In Xr Applications For Assembly (Dis And Re Assembly) Of Net Zero Carbon Infrastructure, ETH, Switzerland, 1 day ago
Design++ , is the new Center for Augmented Computational Design in Architecture, Engineering and Construction at ETH Zurich. The vision of the center is to create novel solutions to address pressi...
Assistant Professor In Biotechnology For Sustainable Food Security, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Are you the bioprocess systems engineer that will contribute to sustainable food security? Innovation is crucial to fulfil the potential of industrial biotechnology for sustainable production of f...