26 Sep 2023
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Leading Researcher (R4)
Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
30 Oct 2023 - 22:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The Academy of Creative and Performing Arts (ACPA) is looking for an Assistant Professor in Practice and Theory of Design. ACPA is one of the seven institutes of Leiden University's Faculty of Humanities, originates from a partnership with the University of the Arts The Hague, and was the first place in the Netherlands for artists to do a PhD.
The new Assistent Professor in Practice and Theory of Design will take on the following responsibilities commensurate with career stage:
- providing stimulating supervision of ACPA PhD researchers in the PhDArts program;
- being involved in BA, MA education and PhD programs in the field of design, design theory and research in design;
- participating in the ACPA team, contributing to the development on the vision of research in design within ACPA.
The candidate we are seeking:
- has a PhD in design or a field relevant for this position;
- has an overview of contemporary practices in design, preferably also from a historic perspective;
- has experience with working with contemporary designers and artists;
- has demonstrable experience in and knowledge of the field of higher arts and design education and academic education and research;
- is abreast of the international discourse on artistic research and has well-developed views about artistic research that are consistent with those of ACPA;
- has the skill to recognize the potential of research proposals that can lead to successful completion;
- has good proficiency in English and preferable also the Dutch language
- Non-Dutch-speaking candidates will be required to acquire proficiency in Dutch to level B1 within two years of taking up the appointment. The candidate must demonstrate sufficient progress toward attaining this level of Dutch acquisition by the time of the probationary review. The institute facilitates Dutch-language learning with reimbursement of costs and teaching relief for an approved training programme;
- Upon appointment, if applicable and depending on experience and formal qualifications, the successful applicant is required to obtain a nationally recognised University Teaching Qualification (BKO); the candidate must demonstrate sufficient progress toward the attainment of the BKO by the time of probationary review;
- At Leiden University the place of employment is Leiden and The Hague, so the candidate must have the intention to move to the Netherlands before the employment starts, and at the latest on the date the employment starts.
Terms and conditions
We offer a part-time (0,4 Fte or 0,5 Fte, 15-19 hours per week) post for the period of 18 months from 1 February 2024, or as soon as possible thereafter, with the possibility of a permanent contract conditional on performance and funding. Salary range, depending on training and experience, is from € 4.332,- to € 5.929,- (pay scale 11 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) before tax per month, based on a full-time appointment.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development, and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model offers some freedom to assemble a personalised set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. There is a Dual Career Programme for international spouses; for further details, see The Dual Career Programme (DCP) - Universiteit Leiden .
Diversity and inclusion
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Within ACPA, we work to create a community in which diversity and inclusion are the guiding principles. We want the uniqueness of each individual to be recognized and therefore welcome applications from people who are currently underrepresented in our institute.
Please submit online your application no later than 30 October 2023 via the blue button in our application system. Applicants should submit online:
- Motivation letter;
- CV including education and employment history, courses taught, publications;
- Research plan with clear potential for applications to funding bodies such as NWO and ERC (max. 2 pages);
- Statement of teaching (max. 2 pages);
- Representative course descriptions and, if available, teaching evaluations;
- Names and contact details of at least two academic referees (no reference letters at this stage).
Enquiries may be directed to prof. dr. Erik Viskil, academic director ACPA (email@example.com ) and/or prof. dr. Anke Haarmann, Director of PhDArts at ACPA (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Universiteit Leiden
- Postal Code
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Network Coordinator For The Leiden Research Support Network, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Apply now Vacancy ‘Network Coordinator for the Leiden Research Support Network’ Do you know what is needed to build a community and engage its members and are you great at organizing events? Withi...
Pd Fellow Number Theory/Arithm Geometry, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Apply now POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW IN NUMBER THEORY / ARITHMETIC GEOMETRY The Mathematical Institute of the Faculty of Science, Leiden University, is looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow. JOB DESCRIPTION ...
Ph D Simulation Model For Improved Cavitation Inception Control, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 13 days ago
The primary objective of the NWO-sponsored CISCON program is to gain a better understanding of the effect of operational conditions on the cavitation inception performance of propellers. The parti...
Senior Lead Una Europa, Leiden University, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Apply now Leiden University is one of Europe’s premier international research institutions. Its excellence is owed to the committed and inspired employees, who play a pivotal role in both national...
Senior Lead Una Europa, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Universiteit Leiden Leiden University comprises seven faculties, each overseen by a Faculty Board chaired by a dean. The overall management falls under the purview of the Executive Board, ensuring...
Network Coordinator For The Leiden Research Support Network, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Terms and conditions We offer A challenging and inspiring international work environment with ample opportunities for personal and professional development; An appointment in accordance with the C...