14 Nov 2023
University of Twente (UT)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Leading Researcher (R4)
Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
14 Jan 2024 - 22:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
We are looking for an Assistant Professor who has a strong profile in the entire development chain of conceptual design, prototyping, and design for manufacturing of medical devices to join our growing chair of Biomedical Device Design and Production Technology (BDDP). Our group has the passion to get novel biomedical engineered solutions into the clinic and/or applied to the patient, which are mechanical and mechatronic oriented. Therefore, we apply various methods including design engineering, experimental research, human factors, ergonomics, biomechanical modeling, CAD, advanced prototyping, testing in simulated surgical settings and, we strive to pursue innovative approaches! Together with industrial leaders and SMEs and an extensive network of clinical institutions, we cover the entire trajectory from idea to clinical evaluation. This includes verification of according to the regulatory framework (e.g. Medical Device Regulation, MDR) demands. Our local facilities such as our own lab, TechMed Centre and Fraunhofer Innovation Platform are well-equipped to support this.
We would very much welcome a dedicated Assistant Professor who pursues a research line in combining two areas:
This involves mechanism design as well as human-device interface. Involving students in the research and design projects is a matter of course for you. So, if you have original ideas how to address the healthcare challenges from your mechanical engineering perspectives and your ambition is to get these ideas transferred to clinical evaluation, then we look forward to receiving you application to join our multidisciplinary and inclusive BDDP team.
- Apply and extend your expertise in mechanical design in research and teaching
- Develop a research line towards low series production of novel medical devices for clinical evaluation in line with legal framework and in line with cost-effectiveness
- Perform ‘research by design’ or ‘design by research’ with a genuine interest in creating original engineering solutions and engaging clinicians and patients
- Complementary extend our research by acquiring external research funding, assisting in coordination of (large) projects and engaging students
- (Co)-teach and coordinate courses on statics, dynamics and mechanics of materials in our Bachelor mechanical engineering program
- (Co)-teach and coordinate courses in our Master programs including mechanical engineering, industrial design engineering, biomedical technology and technical medicine
- Contribute in supervising MSc and PhD candidates with a focus on design and manufacturing.
Candidates we seek
- Show vision and ambition to develop an own research line within the BDDP team
- Hold an excellent PhD degree in mechanical or manufacturing engineering and have experience in research, which is apparent from your track record and recommendations
- Proven application of scientific practice as a postdoc or outside of the academic field
- Have taken the lead in a variety of design projects, ideally resulting in patent applications
- Active participation in networks to build public-private collaborations and raise funding
- Have the ambition and experience in working closely with companies and clinicians
- Have teaching experience (both lecturing and tutoring) in mechanical engineering courses at an internationally accredited university
- Possess good communication skills and an excellent command of English
- Possess a (equivalent of) University Teaching Qualification certificate, or be willing to acquire this
- Have a real passion for, and the ambition to become a creative and effective teacher
- We offer a fulltime contract for a period of 1 year, with a prospect for permanent position.
- The salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, ranges between € 4.332,- and € 6.737,- gross per month (in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 11 or 12 depending on your career stage).
- After 8-9 months you will have an assessment. In case of positive assessment and unchanging operating conditions (sufficient finances) your contract will be tenured.
- In addition, the University of Twente offers additional attractive employment conditions (8% holiday allowance, 8.3% end-of-year bonus, solid pension scheme, sabbatical leave, professional and personal development programs, well equipped labs, technical support staff and electromechanical workshops).
For questions about this position, you can contact Prof. Gabrielle Tuijthof ([email protected] ).
Applications are requested to include a video pitch (2-minute max) introducing yourself and describing your plans regarding research and education in mechanical design and manufacturing of medical devices, a cover letter (2-page max) and a CV.
Please, only apply via the web platform before January 15th and not via email since only the former will be considered.
The first round of interviews will take place (online) on January 30th 2024.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Universiteit Twente
- Postal Code
- Drienerlolaan 5
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Faculty Member Tenure Track (Design And Artificial Intelligence), Singapore University of Technology & Design, Singapore, about 16 hours ago
The Role This position constitutes a very exciting and unique opportunity to mature with, and help shape the design area at SUTD. Along the way, the candidate will interact with the governing bodi...
Professor In Machine Design And Advanced Manufacturing Systems , ;, Denmark, 20 days ago
DTU , Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering (DTU Construct ) at Technical University of Denmark (DTU) invites applications for a position as Professor in Machine Design and Advanced Manuf...
Professor In Machine Design And Advanced Manufacturing Systems – Dtu Construct, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 19 days ago
Skip to main content. Profile Sign Out View More Jobs Professor in Machine Design and Advanced Manufacturing Systems – DTU Construct Kgs. Lyngby, Denmark Be the First to Apply Job Description DTU,...
Technician/Senior Technician, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, about 10 hours ago
Two positions are available: Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Lab. AUT's School of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences is one of New Zealand's largest pro...
Young Graduate Trainee In Mechanisms Engineering , European Space Agency, Netherlands, 19 days ago
Young Graduate Opportunity in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inc...
Request For Proposals For Editor In Chief Of The Research In Engineering Design Journal, Role and Journal Details, Worldwide, about 23 hours ago
"We, the Publishing Editors from Springer-Nature, Zoe Kennedy and I, invite proposals for Editor-in-Chief of the journal from all qualified members of the engineering design research community. Fo...